Double stack - a standard etalon?

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
Bassoon
The Sun?
The Sun?

Double stack - a standard etalon?

Post by Bassoon »

I have a Coronado 60 II double stack, also a 102mm stage 2 using a PST etalon.

I'm not sure about an exact description of the 60's double stack unit - is it a second etalon? If so could it be used on its own (with an ERF and blocking filter) on a much larger scope? Or is the principle of the double stack filter different to a standard etalon?

If it is an etalon, with its larger diameter would it offer the chance to mod a much larger aperture?

Coronado says it's double stack kits must not be used 'on their own'. I presume they mean without a blocking filter - or are they not etalons?

Any advice to avoid me burning my retina would be appreciated!

Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: Double stack - a standard etalon?

Post by Bob Yoesle »

Hydrogen alpha solar telescopes are a complex "stew" of filters and optics, and one can easily create something that would not work properly or be safe. Honestly - and not trying to be anything but helpful to preserving your retina - given that you don't apparently know what you are currently using and how it works, I would be hesitant to encourage your attempting use either the front or internal etalon to "mod a much larger aperture."

The Coronado 60 II double stack telescope consists of a front etalon with ERF, rich-view and tilt tuning, and an internal etalon/collimator system with rich-view tuning. The front etalon should be usable on another instrument if paired with the blocking filter, though it may be tuned with a bit higher CWL to allow additional tilting to remove retro-reflections between etalons. From much personal experience, the interal etalon and collimator optics would need a dedicated IR and UV blocking ERF and much more complex and difficult engineering to get right.

I advise that you save up and get yourself a ready made 80 to 152 mm solar telescope - a used scope will save you a lot of $$$. ;)

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
Bassoon
The Sun?
The Sun?

Re: Double stack - a standard etalon?

Post by Bassoon »

Hi Bob
Thanks for the advice.
Regards, John