ES Focal Extender for Quark mod?

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
LTHB
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

ES Focal Extender for Quark mod?

Post by LTHB »

A question to the modders: Has anybody used one of Explore Scientific's Focal Extenders (2x, 3x or 5x) for solar work? If yes, with success?

From what I am reading the Televue Powermates seem to be useful to replace the 4,3x internal telecentric of a Quark. I wonder now if the ES Focal Extenders would also work decently in this configuration, as on the ES webpage they are also described as telecentric. In particular the 3x ES Focal Extender might be interesting, 'cause there is no 3x Powermate.

Regards,

Frank

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: ES Focal Extender for Quark mod?

Post by marktownley »

Never tried them!

If you remove the 4.3x telecentric from the Quark you will also remove the blocking filter, it is in the base of it. So you would need to mount a suitable alternative blocker ahead of the quark to keep excess energy out of the system.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
soulvagabond
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Re: ES Focal Extender for Quark mod?

Post by soulvagabond »

Is it easy to remove the 4.3x telecentric +blocking filter?
I tried the Quark on my Lunt50 Today, but had to remove the Lunt's B600 Diagonal, since the Quark already has the blocking filter.
The visual image was phenomenal, but since I used the Lunt's zoom eyepiece, it was pretty dark, due to Quarks' barlow.
I would much prefer using the Lunt's Diagonal with B600, since I believe, the filter diameter is larger than Quark's.

P.S, But then, I guess, it's not really gonna work with the Lunt scope, since Quarks requires F/30...