lunt 50 mod

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
krakatoa1883
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Re: lunt 50 mod

Post by krakatoa1883 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:20 pm

A very interesting discussion as I am also considering a LS50 mod. I have few questions if someone would be so kind to answer:

1. I assume the mod is fully reversible that is I can have back the original LS50, am I correct ?
2. Is the red cylinder with the PT knob simply screwed to the LS 50 white tube ? can they be separated easily ?
3. Which M68 adapter would I need for attaching the LS50 rear part to the telescope ? has this part a male or a female thread ?
4. I have seen in the above image a Coronado BF replacing the Lunt diagonal, is this replacement necessary ?

Thanks in advance
Raf
My personal page on Google+
My personal web site on practical astronomy and astronomical optics

antonello
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: lunt 50 mod

Post by antonello » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:35 am

After a long time, during which no one knew if the Lunt 50 had a lens with a single lens or an achromatic lens, I discovered from this image
lunt 50.jpg
lunt 50.jpg (236.86 KiB) Viewed 134 times

that even the Lunt 50, like the Lunt 60., seems to have a objective with single lens, and therefore the use of the Etalon of the Lunt 50, together with the two lenses of its collimator, used on a new telescope with an big achromatic objective, will not allow to obtain, in h-alpha, all the quality of the new big achromatic lens ... :(