PST CaK mod

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
Marsman
The Sun?
The Sun?

PST CaK mod

Post by Marsman »

Hi all,
I have a Coronado CaK PSt.
The 5mm blocking filter in the eye piece holder is rusted.
I want to do a mod to turn the etalon into a single unit to fit a f7 90mm refactor thus removing the penta prism.
My questions are 1. what filters do I need to replace the 5mm blocker, (Baader 1.25" Calcium K-Line Filter 395nm good ? )
2. what and where to get a front 2" adapter, PST-50 from Telescope Austria fit the etalon ? or does this not fit.
3. adapters for the rear to fit a camera to.

Most posts I have found refer to the Ha version so a comprehensive post on this mod would be appreciated.

Regards
Paul

Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: PST CaK mod

Post by Bob Yoesle »

Forget using the PST body and make a completely new CaK "module" using some relatively easy to obtain 2" inch adapters.

You'll need a Baader or Astronmomic Blue CCD filter for use as an ERF, and the Baader CaK filter makes a good blocking filter for the "no. 1" narrow-band component of the PST:
CaK DS Module New SM.jpg
CaK DS Module New SM.jpg (331.04 KiB) Viewed 7315 times
Additional filters can be added for a narrower ERF pass-band if you go to a larger aperture, but these become more expensive.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
Marsman
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Marsman »

Hi Bob
This photo shows the filters in the optical train.
I have no parts that fit these threads , I guess a 2" barlow tube after the etalon would allow for the Baader filters to be fitted but I dont know what adapter to fit on the front to connect to a larger scope.
Attachments
20180506_111302.jpg
20180506_111302.jpg (2.76 MiB) Viewed 7240 times

Marsman
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Marsman »

Hi, the white is tape wrapped around the etalon. The butchered bit was caused by tools to remove the eye piece holder from the focus body ( too much thread lock ).

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

Check the forum library for adaptors for the PST etalon. AOK Swiss can supply.

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
Marsman
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Marsman »

Hi TheSkyBurner, now we are getting to the info needed to mod this thing !
So all I need to know is , what are the last filters in the eyepiece holder ?
Do I need to replace them or bin them, remember the one nearest the penta prism is rusted.

Paul

Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

Bob, what 2" filter adapters did you use? The CaK pst filter is not 2" and does not seem like it would be a drop in option?

Can you provide links to the actual products used that hold your dismantled PST parts I also notice in the picture you do not mention the pst #2 filter which is blue coated on yellow glass? I thought this is the actual narrowband hard coated narrow band filter? I was under the impression that the first filter in the array of the gold tube was just a sacrificial erf?
I use a standard 1.25 inch filter cell for the PST elements. I've used some scavenged parts and the Skybender unit, but will be revising this in the near future with a custom made set of components.

The only PST filter used is the "blue coated on yellow glass." Whether you call this the No. 1 or No. 2 filter is problematic, but inconsequential.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

Yes, it did have that (deteriorated) shinny gold filter as well, which shows as a blue substrate and ITF-like deterioration from the edge inward when held just right:

Rusted CaK filter.jpg
Rusted CaK filter.jpg (20.5 KiB) Viewed 6783 times
No 2 PST CaK filter.jpg
No 2 PST CaK filter.jpg (194.6 KiB) Viewed 6768 times

My convention for the filter names is that the 1st filter after the objective is called the "No. 1 filter," which I believe you are calling the "No. 2" filter. This is the "magic filter" which passes the 2.2 A FWHM CaK 393 nm line, as well as a ton of additional longer wavelengths which must be filtered out...

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
Marsman
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Marsman »

Ok great mod, now where can I get a sky bender from ?

bart1805
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by bart1805 »

Bob Yoesle wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 7:27 pm I use a standard 1.25 inch filter cell for the PST elements. I've used some scavenged parts and the Skybender unit, but will be revising this in the near future with a custom made set of components.
Hi Bob,
I tried a Baader and a Astronomik 1,25 inch filter cell, they are both too big. I suppose I need a "cheaper one" like this:
https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Venus-Planetary ... SwZ8ZW2db2
Baader and Astronomik clearly maximise the size and have tiny retaining rings, this one clearly does not. Am I correct?
Thanks and CS, Bart.

george9
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by george9 »

I made cardboard rings to hold the PST elements within the larger 1.25 inch cells. I actually exploited that to make a very compact tilt mechanism: I basically push the cardboard along the threads on one side compared to the other. It was meant as a prototype, but I haven't felt the need to upgrade it.

George

bart1805
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by bart1805 »

george9 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:06 am I made cardboard rings to hold the PST elements within the larger 1.25 inch cells.
Thanks George! I was thinking about 3D printing some rings.

Marsman
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Marsman »

Hi
I have paid 160 as I see you only have 1.25 left but if you still have a 2 I would go fir it.
My address in 90 Mill Drove in the UK, if you need any further detail PM me.