How to double stack a Lunt CaK Module? And ERF?

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
TheSkyBurner
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: How to double stack a Lunt CaK Module? And ERF?

Post by TheSkyBurner » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:15 am

MalVeauX wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:02 am
bart1805 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:56 pm
MalVeauX wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:52 pm
Haha, thanks Bob :)

Funny enough the past filters I ordered, 25mm filter, from Newport (KG3 filter) and it dropped right into a basic 1.25" filter cell and I just turned the ring inside it and it housed great. Worked right into everything truly simply. Just couldn't handle the heat because I was dumb hah.

I see your point about getting a 50mm but it not fitting into a typical cell. Boo!

I was thinking of just harvesting some GSO 2" filter cells. They're dirt cheap. I have the 1.25" versions laying around, and the inner cell threads out, and a new filter can be dropped in. I'm curious if the 2" does the same. But, as you pointed out, a 50mm glass filter is probably too big to drop into these filter cells. Rats.

Very best,
Hi Marty,
A standard 1,25 inch filter cell where a 25mm filter (like the #1 pst filter) can be housed without any difficulties. I am interested! What filter cell is that and do you have a picture of it?
Thanks in advance, Bart.
Hi Bart,

I have a generic 1.25" filter cell holder, it's unmarked. It had the old KG3 filter in it that I broke. I bought a KG3 filter frow NewPort, it's 25mm (25.4mm). It drops right into the cell and fits perfectly. I took a run of the mill GSO 1.25" polarizing filter as a donor filter cell to test, and it works perfectly too and that's a standard common filter cell. And the 25.4mm filter drops into that cell and fits fine too. So they're the same size, the generic one and the cheap GSO one. I'll get some photos up Thursday when I get off work.

Very best,
The filter cell that marty has , was given to him by me.

It came from an old omega optical hydrogen alpha filter. It was not a standard 27mm retaining ring. There are some listed on ebay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eyepiece-Filte ... 2118946645

bart1805
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by bart1805 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:13 pm

Thanks Apollo and Marty!

MalVeauX
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by MalVeauX » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:08 pm

bart1805 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:13 pm
Thanks Apollo and Marty!
That's the one in the link.

And I just put a 1.25" filter from a GSO 1.25" polarizing filter into the same cell and it fits and secures down with the threading internal ring. So it works for 25.4mm filters and standard 1.25" commercial filters just fine.

Very best,