Any interest in this part? LS50C modkit

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
TheSkyBurner
Almost There...
Almost There...

Any interest in this part? LS50C modkit

Post by TheSkyBurner » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:49 pm

I am having a universal flange manufactured for the LS50C etalon.

If anybody is interested in owning one, I may add your name to the list to receive it.

I understand the difference in operation that a front mounted etalon will have at the rear of the scope, Sacrifices will be made but it will still work behind a telecentric with acceptable performance.

The idea is simply to have the largest rear mounted etalon.

LS50C to SCT universal flange.PNG
LS50C to SCT universal flange.PNG (23.95 KiB) Viewed 416 times
Last edited by TheSkyBurner on Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

MalVeauX
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Re: Any interest in this part?

Post by MalVeauX » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:32 pm

Looking forward to seeing how this works out. I would be super interested if a working application is produced.

Very best,

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:43 am

What fitting is the Baader universal flange?
http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!

TheSkyBurner
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TheSkyBurner » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:55 am

marktownley wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:43 am
What fitting is the Baader universal flange?
It is a standard SCT female thread adapter that is surface mounted by screws.

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/2 ... ilter.html

I can have it changed, this is just what seemed logical at the time i made the drawing.
Last edited by TheSkyBurner on Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheSkyBurner
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TheSkyBurner » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:00 am

this is the etalon, http://luntsolarsystems.com/shop/hydrog ... ack-filter

the 50c is slightly cheaper than the FHA, it has smaller housing with smaller threads.
Last edited by TheSkyBurner on Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheSkyBurner
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TheSkyBurner » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:06 am

this could be the "nose piece" https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/b ... hread.html

I was thinking for the best way to make it compatible with telecetrics and easy adaptability., could also be threaded to an sct focuser.

FlankerOneTwo
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by FlankerOneTwo » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:52 am

If it works well and is for the 50c rather than the FHA, I would also be really interested.

TheSkyBurner
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TheSkyBurner » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:25 am

FlankerOneTwo wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:52 am
If it works well and is for the 50c rather than the FHA, I would also be really interested.
Yes I opted for the 50C over the 50FHA because its housing is 20% smaller.

I am expecting great interest in this, I may have to take reservations for the first shipment.

I have great confidence this is going to work quite well :) It will especially be a killer setup for everyone with SCT scopes and full size erfs.

I figured it is Time for a mod that can replace our questionable pst etalon, and the "surprise inside" quarks....

The lunt ls50c has very high quality control standards.

TheSkyBurner
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TheSkyBurner » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:46 am

FlankerOneTwo wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:52 am
check this out.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5483 ... -ls35-mod/

These are images by Valery Deryuzhin of aries instruments, using an LS35 etalon mod. What Valery used is no different than the LS50 etalon mod. So based on this result from a reliable source, I would say that this modkit's performance is going to be nothing short of amazing.

Posted 29 August 2016
taken with 280mm SCT + 295mm D-ERF + LS35 Mod (for SCT) + ASI174MM camera.

Valery
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Any interest in this part? LS50C modkit

Post by Valery » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:03 am

I have experimented with these etalons (LS50FHa and LS35FHa). They worked in a _collimated beam_ scheme, not in a telecentric.
The images Apollo reproduced were taken with LS35 worked in a collimated beam.

My results with these etalons worked with Baader TZ3 and TZ4 were rather negative, significantly worser than with a collimated beam.

Valery
"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.

TheSkyBurner
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TheSkyBurner » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:13 pm

Valery wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:03 am
I have experimented with these etalons (LS50FHa and LS35FHa). They worked in a _collimated beam_ scheme, not in a telecentric.

My results with these etalons worked with Baader TZ3 and TZ4 were rather negative, significantly worser than with a collimated beam.

Valery
Please share the collimator configuration! :)

TheSkyBurner
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TheSkyBurner » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:05 am

direct integration to the baader planetarium Tz-3

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/r ... ngth).html

TheSkyBurner
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TheSkyBurner » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:48 am

some more information about the LS35 mod!

viewtopic.php?t=24494 Thank stu for this. He has just confirmed that double stacking works brilliantly!
Last edited by TheSkyBurner on Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheSkyBurner
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TheSkyBurner » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:20 am

Rear etalon theory diagram using positive singlet "collimator"

rear etalon theory.png
rear etalon theory.png (86 KiB) Viewed 344 times

TheSkyBurner
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TheSkyBurner » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:39 am

Valery wrote:

Valery
Valery, can you re-elaborate your statement. I am finding conflicting information based on another post you made where you placed the PST etalon in a telecentric.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25248

If you are getting this very great result with a telecentric pst etalon, how would a negative result become of the lunt mod in a telecentric? Do you have a way to retest the lunt etalon with your new telecentric?

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:38 am

Does the 'unit' itself support the weight of the camera / eyepiece etc behind it, or, it the weight supported by the etalon housing Apollo?
http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!

TheSkyBurner
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TheSkyBurner » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:56 am

So This is an idle thought I had while battling some insomnia,. The meade etx60 objective is 350mm. The lunt LS50THA pressure tuned scope that the LS50C is manufactured for is F/7. Both scopes have objective front mount threads.

If you were to thread the ls50C to the meade etx60 objective, the 60mm f5.8 objective will then function as 50mm F/7. This would be perfectly matched to the LS50THA pressure tuned scopes objective as a collimator and potenially would function as a double stacked system without additional alterations.

Since the second etalon function would still be based at the refocus portion of the mod kit using the lunt 50mm f/7 objective, nothing is changed. So the ls50c modkit could then be paired with, lets say an F/7 mirror based newtonian. It would have the solar focus pumped into the meade etx60 objective at is focal length. Illuminating the full size 50mm etalon aperture of the ls50c, refocus achieved by the Lunt ls50tha objective and then double stacked performance by the sub aperture of the pressure tuner.

The negative refocus lens of the ls50tha would be in the proper location because the ls50tha objective lens is still sending out its original f/7 focal length.
doblesonian mod.PNG
doblesonian mod.PNG (28.5 KiB) Viewed 331 times
Last edited by TheSkyBurner on Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

TheSkyBurner
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TheSkyBurner » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:58 am

marktownley wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:38 am
Does the 'unit' itself support the weight of the camera / eyepiece etc behind it, or, it the weight supported by the etalon housing Apollo?

The new housing supports the weight. It is a two piece "shroud" that encases the original etalon housing. Nothing will be touching the etalon itself but the internal female threads of the shroud. Enough room will be left in the front portion of the shroud so that Tuning adjustment can still be made, there is a slit carved in the shroud at the location of the etalons tilt wheel.

The etalon itself, will be using its normal male threads, connecting to the inside of the shrouds rear plate so it will be locked in the dead center and not "Free floating".

The new threads on the ; external rear side of the shroud will probably be standard 50.8mm 2" SCT threads. These SCT threads are what support the weight of the camera / blocking filter / quark / etc.

The shroud is locked in place like an S52 dove tail. There will be perimeter flush mount allen screws sealing the two pieces together and it is made of heavy duty aluminum just like the skybender.

Valery

Post by Valery » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:06 am

TheSkyBurner wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:39 am
Valery wrote:

Valery
Valery, can you re-elaborate your statement. I am finding conflicting information based on another post you made where you placed the PST etalon in a telecentric.

If you are getting this very great result with a telecentric pst etalon, how would a negative result become of the lunt mod in a telecentric? Do you have a way to retest the lunt etalon with your new telecentric?
I can confirm, that my results with that sample of PST etalon were great. But this sample is really very narrow (less than 0,3A) and has a very high fidelity and a very high transmission. I know only two more such samples - owned by JP Brahic and Alfred Tan.
I doubt one will be lucky finding such an etalon without a special selection like I have done during 4 years.
Also, this etalon is only 20mm size and it is more or less uniform accross it's aperture. This is unlikely for larger sizes.

Stu's scheme works great, but he uses a collimated beam scheme. This is absolutely another story with the CWL shifts due to a large field angle.

All in all I gave up with these experiments with any etalons in a collimated beam. The best is a solid spaced etalons in near focus position. My results with three samples of Quarks convinced me that there are no competitors for these H-a eyepiece sized etalons.

Valery.
"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.

TheSkyBurner
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TheSkyBurner » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:25 pm

Valery wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:06 am
TheSkyBurner wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:39 am
Valery wrote:

Valery

I can confirm, that my results with that sample of PST etalon were great. But this sample is really very narrow (less than 0,3A) and has a very high fidelity and a very high transmission. I know only two more such samples - owned by JP Brahic and Alfred Tan.
I doubt one will be lucky finding such an etalon without a special selection like I have done during 4 years.
Also, this etalon is only 20mm size and it is more or less uniform accross it's aperture. This is unlikely for larger sizes.

Stu's scheme works great, but he uses a collimated beam scheme. This is absolutely another story with the CWL shifts due to a large field angle.

All in all I gave up with these experiments with any etalons in a collimated beam. The best is a solid spaced etalons in near focus position. My results with three samples of Quarks convinced me that there are no competitors for these H-a eyepiece sized etalons.

Valery.

I will take over where you gave up, I encourage you to please still offer some input when questions come about. I have very high confidence in this project adaptability. Just like to calcium code of contrast, this will be cracked. It just takes patience, and a little team work.

If we can all agree on a one scope solution, say the istar optical h-alpha F10. Then everyone will have the same pieces to this puzzle.

If we can all agree on the first focal ratio, , say again at f10; everyone will have all the same pieces. (Even true with the airy lab HaT, triband scts and all f/10 scts, all f10 refractors, all f/10 mirror scopes..)

. The logic here is that f/10 is always f/10. 50mm aperture is always 50mm aperture.

So if we can actually work constructively together , there will be no problem discovering the combination.
There IS a solution waiting for us, like a piece of ripening fruit. We must be patient to pick it.

The result will then be replicated by everyone, just like the f/10 pst mod..

On a side note, Last night I tried to order a baader planetarium t-z3 just to confirm if this would produce any result what soever, but; nobody in the united states is selling the tz-3 right now and baader planetarium will not sell directly to customers of the united states.

TheSkyBurner
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TheSkyBurner » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:29 pm

I have just sent a request to have 50.8mm x -500mm optics custom made, with coating for 650nm.

f/10 is the most common telescope focal ratio world wide, and currently istar optical makes the 150mm hydrogen alpha doublet.

building a large rear mounted etalon refactor will be very simple with the f/10 and the istar doublet approach. This will the cheapest solution, able to be purchased by 80% of anyone interested in it.

Because the telescope is .99 strehl, it will be an unbeatable first choice.

The next phase will be to adapt the 50mm x -500mm element to f/10 SCT telescopes. I think we can do this using a .5x reducer and then a televue 2.5x powermate.

TheSkyBurner
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TheSkyBurner » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:14 am

updated the sketch.
LS50C shroud drawing.PNG
LS50C shroud drawing.PNG (61.76 KiB) Viewed 292 times

TheSkyBurner
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TheSkyBurner » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:25 am

The meade etx60 male thread appears to be 83.5mm
meade etx60 male thread adapter.jpg
meade etx60 male thread adapter.jpg (775.11 KiB) Viewed 292 times
This part would be pretty easy to replicate and, massproduce. A replacement as a metal spacer tube that allows the direct attachment to the ls50c etalon with minimal effort would be very feasible.

The rear of the etx60 also has a male camera thread back so adding barrel extensions directly to the back of the scope is a no brainer. The focus is achieved by pushing and pulling the objective lens itself. This places the etx60 in a unique class of adaptability to this whole positive collimator mod idea..

The objective lens is unusualy high quality for a meade entry scope, it was initially made for deep space astro-photography using night time hydrogen alpha filters. This means it was designed for great performance with hydrogen alpha.

At one point during the early 2000's, the original coronado actually had made a solar hydrogen alpha conversion kit FOR the etx60, and etx70..

The etx60 is now very cheap and still common, so it is easy to acquire used . Cannabalizing it wont break the bank or cause much stress.

I will look into this further to see how feasible it actually is to do anything with the mod.

TheSkyBurner
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TheSkyBurner » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:20 am

another donor scope for a 50mm F/7 optic.
https://www.adorama.com/csmtel50.html

and the absolute perfect source for 50mm f/10 optics (Galileoscope kit) <----i could pop this lens directly into the lunt mod etalon housing very easily...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Galileoscope-5 ... 3294442508

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-QgfaLZ1EU

TheSkyBurner
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TheSkyBurner » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:30 am

nice, alpine astro just contacted directly. I now have a TZ-3 on the way. I will let everyone know as soon as i can if the 50mm etalon is just dead weight behind a telecentric..