Lunt DSII Module

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Lunt DSII Module

Post by Merlin66 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:47 pm

Need some help here...
OK I read though the Lunt Product Catalogue and I think I've final got my head around the various part descriptions they use....
When it comes to the DSII I can'r find much.
It is designed for use with the LS80T only....
The write-up I've read (Ian King website) says it's an add-on internal Pressure tuned module...that's fine but does anyone know the optical arrangement?
Does it have the same front end barlow/ rear end imaging lens as the "normal" LS80T internal etalon?
"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ast ... scopy/info
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer

colinsk
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: Lunt DSII Module

Post by colinsk » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:17 am

Ask Stephen. Looking at his review it seems that the etalon gets put after the re-imaging lens after the first etalon. It seems like the best place to design it would be before the re-imaging lens. As far as I can tell from Stephens images it is an etalon with no lenses.
Thank you, Here are some references I have collected.

Etalon Article Part I

Etalon Article Part II

Solar Patents of interest

Bob Yoesle
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Bob Yoesle » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:14 pm

My understanding is that the DSII for the LS80 uses a smaller 35 mm diameter or so etalon. I think it would have to have both a collimating lens designed to match the upstream reimageing lens from the first PT etalon, and then another reimaging lens to reach a focus. That's why it can only be used for the LS80. I imagine both these lenses are sealed so that the etlaon between them can be pressure tuned.

I think it has had some mixed reviews, and no doubt is a very valiant effort. The complexity is enormous, and may be why Lunt is moving towards the traditional heated rear mounted etalon to achieve a narrower bandpass...
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders

colinsk
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by colinsk » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:34 am

Looking at Stephen's pictures it looks like a bare etalon. But I would not discount your idea either.
Thank you, Here are some references I have collected.

Etalon Article Part I

Etalon Article Part II

Solar Patents of interest

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:01 am

Hmm,
I didn't see any mention of having to "modify" the existing etalon when the DSII is fitted.
I agree, it must therefore have it's own front barlow and rear imaging lens....
That being the case it could serve as a good(?)source etalon for a "Lunt 80" large aperture Mod.
"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ast ... scopy/info
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:48 pm

That being the case it could serve as a good(?)source etalon for a "Lunt 80" large aperture Mod.

I agree. We just need the numbers to plumb into the sums and is easily achievable...
http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!