SolarMax 60

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!

SolarMax 60

Post by rsfoto »

Hi,

I am thinking in exchanging the helical focuser of a SolarMax 60 for one which can be easier motorized.

So my question is can the part 1 be separated from the part 2 ? What is inside part 1 ?

For what are those 2 cross headed screws there ?

Thnaks for your comments in advance :thanx:

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
rbotero
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Re: SolarMax 60

Post by rbotero »

There's a very good thread on CloudyNights precisely about this but the site is down at the moment and I can't post the link...

Many members here have done the modification - look at Ken Crawford for example.

Will try to get back to you with the link...

Roberto

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Hi Roberto,

Thanks. I made an exhaustive search in CN but did not find anything :silly:

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
jstrong611

Post by jstrong611 »

Yes indeed, you can make this change. I just did it to my SolarMax II 60 using a MoonLite focuser (and Stepper Motor) from MoonLite (www.focuser.com).

Basically the entire helical focuser unscrews, and you replace it with the MoonLite, then move the Coronado 90-degree over to the new focuser. I'm attaching a couple of pics of my mod'ed Coronado.

The one tricky nuance is that there is a lens inside helical that screws into the MoonLite, and the etalon then "loosely" screws down onto that. Ron Newman at MoonLite has the info (this is so new they don't have it on their website yet).

I can help also, if you are still looking at making this mod. Mine has been active for a couple of weeks and is working perfectly thus far! :)

Attached files

sabre414

Post by sabre414 »

Hi John

I recently upgraded the helical focuser on my Solarmax 60 DS. Unlike the Solarmax II 60 with the Richview tuner, mine is (I guess), like the Maxscope 60 (circa 2007), in that it has an internal filter attached to the screw off base of the Solarmax. Ron Newman at Moonlite supplied the correct flange, (the only one it would fit is the Solarmax II 60 flange), to make the transfer of the internal filter to the new Moonlite focuser. However, Even though I am still waiting for good weather to really test the configuration, I would say that early indications are that the dreaded Coronado 'sweet band' has slightly diminsished when imaging (which is good), but when using the scope visually (not imaging), there is a noticeable 'ghost' towards the edge of the view, suggesting the optic path may be slightly off.

When placed back into the helical focuser its all working good again. So,I think transferring the internal filter to the new Moonlite is causing a visual problem. Maybe I was niave in thinking it would transfer without issue. Is there anything that you may suggest by way of people I could contact for advice etc? Sending the scope to Meade would cost a small fortune from the UK, and I don't really want to do that, and given I have modified it, they might not even take it back in for adjustment. Seems the internal filter has what appear to be very small allen bolts attached to the cell. Whether they can be used to minutely adjust the filter I am unsure, but there is a risk there too that I could make it worse if I chose to do this 'experimentally'.

I have tried to minutely adjust the Moonlite focuser via the four collimation screws, but this had little effect other than to make what is a heavy focuser potentially unstable and it could fall off the end of the tube! So I have reverted back to the focuser as delivered from Moonlite, which I am asured was collimated at the factory. I have attached an image of the internal filter to illustrate the allen bolts/screws.

Thanks in advance

Steven