3d printed mounting bracket for modified PST

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
Trent1512

3d printed mounting bracket for modified PST

Post by Trent1512 »

Hey all,
I recently bought myself a 3D printer and as my first project I made a mount for my modified PST. I really do love the entire idea of printing in 3d. It should really release my creative abilities.

Trent

Attached files

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: 3d printed mounting bracket for modified PST

Post by marktownley »

Way cool! A 3D printer is on my shopping list at work and I have a huge list of things in my head that I will need to 'practice' on with it :whistle: They have several at our local post 16 college that I have been playing around with. How long did that take to manufacture? They call them 'rapid prototyers' in the promotional literature over here which I think is ironic as the ones i've been on are anything but rapid. Looking at the bracket you have made would take 24-36 hours to make on the machines i've been on...

BTW Trent, is you who has the solar autoguiding software?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Trent1512

Post by Trent1512 »

Mark,
This little bracket took between 5 and 6 hours to print. They don't seem fast but when you consider that it was built on a Sunday (shops are closed here), anything similar would of taken 4 days to get to me from overseas and I have a new toy that needed to be used, it becomes quick.

I am responsible for a optical-mechanical solution for Solar autoguiding, not the software one

Trent

colinsk

Post by colinsk »

I have not used 3D printing. Is that stereo lithography? I have done some lithography in gelatin.

Trent1512

Post by Trent1512 »

Colin,
3d printing is a little different. My printer works by precisely placing a drop of molten ABS and builds the object up in this manner. Here is a link showing how it works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aaTJx4Ti8M

Trent

colinsk

Post by colinsk »

Wow, the technology I understood catalyzed a polymer in a bath with a focused laser beam. May I ask what the price range is for 3D printers?

Trent1512

Post by Trent1512 »

Hi Colin,
I paid (Aus)$1900 for mine which is one of the cheapest, just keep adding zeros from there.

Trent

colinsk

Post by colinsk »

Did you have to do any machining or clean up on the part once it was "printed"?

Trent1512

Post by Trent1512 »

Colin,
There is a support structure that has to snapped off, also the finish is a little rough, but I am not able to say at this stage if a smooth print can be achieved, it is still all new to me.

Trent

colinsk

Post by colinsk »

The image looks great! I am really impressed. Do you find there is much shrink or to you calculate it into the CAD file?

Trent1512

Post by Trent1512 »

Colin,
I haven't noticed any shrink what-so-ever, in fact I was able to make the mounting tube for the PST nice an tight straight out of the machine.

Trent

rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by rsfoto »

Hey all,
I recently bought myself a 3D printer and as my first project I made a mount for my modified PST. I really do love the entire idea of printing in 3d. It should really release my creative abilities.

Trent

Hi Trent,

Thanks :bow: for posting that interesting technology. Never heard about that until now.

May I ask what brand is that 3D printer and how hard is it to design a part ?

Again Thanks :rockon:

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Trent1512

Post by Trent1512 »

My printer is the "3D Up". Design can take some time,having said that its not necessarily hard. Its all done in the CAD program of you choice

Trent

sullij1

Post by sullij1 »

Hi Trent,

I noticed the GSO focuser applied to the PST forward section. Can We get an image of that whole rig with a cam on it? How is that working out? That is an unconventional mod that I have not seen yet. Can you give us some explaniation on that set-up along with the results you have achieved please? Very interesting!

Thanks,

Joe

Look Up!
Trent1512

Post by Trent1512 »

Sure Joe,
I will do that later today (my time) in the thread I already have started about it from memory it is "stage 1 mod only". I must admit though it wasn't my idea, I had seen it elsewhere first.

Trent

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

My printer is the "3D Up". Design can take some time,having said that its not necessarily hard. Its all done in the CAD program of you choice

Trent

Hi Trent,

Thanks :thanx: Just downloaded 123D from Autodesk to see how that works :woohoo:

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
poita

Post by poita »

Hi Trent,

I noticed the GSO focuser applied to the PST forward section. Can We get an image of that whole rig with a cam on it? How is that working out? That is an unconventional mod that I have not seen yet. Can you give us some explaniation on that set-up along with the results you have achieved please? Very interesting!

Thanks,

Joe

It is very easy, unscrew the etalon from the black box, get some plumbing tape (also called PFTE tape or teflon tape...yellow gas tape works the best) and wrap the thread in a few turns of tape.
Then screw on the GSO SCT focuser, and put a BF in the back of it and that is it really.
If you want to use the Blocking Filter that came with the PST, unscrew it from the black box and it screws neatly into a celestron 1.25" diagonal, in place of the eyepiece holder.

It works a treat and gives much much better control over focus, thanks to Merlin for the info.

sullij1

Post by sullij1 »

[quote]Hi Trent,

Thanks,

Joe

It is very easy, unscrew the etalon from the black box, get some plumbing tape (also called PFTE tape or teflon tape...yellow gas tape works the best) and wrap the thread in a few turns of tape.
Then screw on the GSO SCT focuser, and put a BF in the back of it and that is it really.
If you want to use the Blocking Filter that came with the PST, unscrew it from the black box and it screws neatly into a celestron 1.25" diagonal, in place of the eyepiece holder.

It works a treat and gives much much better control over focus, thanks to Merlin for the info.

Very cool, does anybody have an imagery example taken with this rig they could post.

Thanks for the info. Looks like an easy mod.

Best,

Joe

Look Up!
poita

Post by poita »

I can post some images on the weekend.
Basically the main advantage is removed astigmatism by getting rid of the prism assembly, and much, much easier to achieve and hold focus, so the images are much sharper and more detailed.

The downside is that the black box is removed, so you need a clamshell mount or a set of rings to be able to mount the scope.

Trent1512

Post by Trent1512 »

I can post some images on the weekend.
Basically the main advantage is removed astigmatism by getting rid of the prism assembly, and much, much easier to achieve and hold focus, so the images are much sharper and more detailed.

The downside is that the black box is removed, so you need a clamshell mount or a set of rings to be able to mount the scope.

Or print yourself a bracket like I have...

poita

Post by poita »

If I could justify the two grand, I'd be prinitng my arse off right now. I have so many projects it would be useful for.