Thinking out load really.....

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
Richard
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Thinking out load really.....

Post by Richard »

Hi all, due to the cloudy weather, been thinking......My Vixen 80 pst mod is coming on well
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 574&type=3
But in need of a ERF, so seen this one...
[ebay]221111443138[/ebay]

So a bit larger than the 80mm vixen, but I have a filter holder that it will fit in, and be a bit oversized on the vixen, but thats fine.....

But then got thinking, I also have a phenix 127mm refractor...it f9.4 as it is, and had a 2" focuser, tried it with the Lunt 2" wedge and gives great results when the wind isnt blowing it all over the place.

Looking down the tube, the baffle nearest the lens unit is about 4 inches down the tube and is about 100mm opening, so the ERF filter would fit nicely on this baffle....
Then the pst stage 2 mod, (BF10, SCT focuser and adapters) would then fit in either the Vixen with the RDF front mounted, or on good days the Phoenix with the ERF mounted on the internal baffle....

From what I can see on the Phenix, the baffle nearest the focuser is reducing the apeture by about 3-5mm anyway. so that would make it a 122mm so f9.8

And then both could also be used with the Lunt 2" wedge aswell...... (I cut the tube down on the Vixen to get focus with the SCT focuser, and that works with the Lunt wedge and as a night scope aswell.).... Just like the idea of having a variety that can be used for most things....

Coronado PST DS,

Skywatcher ED80 Pro Apo Refractor + White light with Lunt 2" wedge.

Skywatcher ST80 modded,

Canon 1000D

Vixen GPDX Skysensor 2000, CG4, CG5GT

Philips SPC900NC webcam, Long Ex & Amp Off Mod

Philips SPC900NC mono chip webcam.

+ Collection of Vintage Hawaiian Ukuleles.
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Thinking out load really.....

Post by marktownley »

All will work Rich... I have been thinking about getting one of these ERFs too...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
peter drew

Post by peter drew »

Well worthwhile Richard, this is exactly what I do to make a range of aperture options available, the stage 2 PST body becomes a Ha eyepiece. :)

Richard

Post by Richard »

Super, thanks for the input. Thats what I was planning, use the BF10,SCT dual speed focuser, pst filter and pst nose bit, then can switch it from the 80mm with the adapter I got made, and also fit it in the 2inch focuser of the 127mm... :hamster:

Coronado PST DS,

Skywatcher ED80 Pro Apo Refractor + White light with Lunt 2" wedge.

Skywatcher ST80 modded,

Canon 1000D

Vixen GPDX Skysensor 2000, CG4, CG5GT

Philips SPC900NC webcam, Long Ex & Amp Off Mod

Philips SPC900NC mono chip webcam.

+ Collection of Vintage Hawaiian Ukuleles.
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Cookin' on gas mate! ;)

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!