Most popular solar scope mods

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
wkyee
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Most popular solar scope mods

Post by wkyee »

I think there should be a sticky here for us beginners: The most common mods for the most popular scopes. Beginning with, what is

Stage I

Stage II

Dr. Willie Yee

President, Mid-Hudson Astronomical Association
Commander, Prius-class shuttlecraft Zhang Heng
peter drew

Re: Most popular solar scope mods

Post by peter drew »

Assuming the consideration is for a PST mod then Stage 1 refers to using the complete original black box assembly in conjunction with a donor telescope. In a Stage 2 mod either the complete black box or its internals are removed and the components are reconfigured in the same sequence but discarding the pentaprism which is often the source of optical issues.
To retain the full aperture of the donor telescope objective, the focal ratio should not be less than F10. Almost any good quality achromat of this focal length will be ideal. The common cost effective aperture seems to be 100mm, the Tal 100RS being a popular choice. :)