Mini Luntanado

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
MjrTom

Mini Luntanado

Post by MjrTom »

Hello all :)

I have been doing some tinkering with my solar kit and testing out a new configuration today.
I was thinking about double stack systems and thought that why not try mounting the front mounted filter off my Lunt LS35T to the parts I had disassembled from the PST mod I had done a few months back.

Using the gold tube off the PST and the stage 2 PST mod parts I reassembled it as a PST minus the black box with the BF10.
The thread size of the Lunt filter is a good 5mm wider than the external diameter of the PST objective lens housing but using some self adhesive foam spacers I was able to get a good tight fit.

The views through this configuration were excellent and a wealth of surface detail was visible.
Quite a few of the filaments which are just bearly visible with either the PST with single etalon or the LS35T were very well defined when configured as a double stack.

The views using a 16mm eyepiece were a little dark but the contrast was excellent! :)

Mark

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Mini Luntanado

Post by marktownley »

That's way cool Mark! :)

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
MjrTom

Post by MjrTom »

Thanks Mark! :)

I did investigate the PST front objective in hope that there might be a way to remove the ERF however when I removed the objective it was a cemented doublet with the ERF coating applied directly to the lenses.
My reasoning was that two ERF were not required and the RG630 filter of the Lunt front filter would suffice.

The PST stil has a sweet spotting characteristic but the band pass at a guess was comparable to the Liverpool astro socs Solarmax 60 double stack. Obviously not as bright an image but still pretty good!

Mark

swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Mark

great mod, looks very straight forward. I'm looking forward to the pics that mod produces ;)

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
MjrTom

Post by MjrTom »

Thanks Walter.

Yeah if the sun comes out today I shall capture a full disk image for you all to see. By the time I finished testing it yesterday thick clouds rolled in and stopped play.

What's nice is that there are none of the back focus issues of the PST with the black box.

Mark

Allcart
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Allcart »

I Like your style Mark. Portability with increased sensitivity and more efficient focussing. good job.

Allan
mr40mm

Post by mr40mm »

Pictures of equipment is like pictures of our children. So nice to see! :) Randy

Astro-Physics 152mm F8 with 1200 mount, SkyWatcher 100mm F10, Celestron C-8, Baader Herschel Wedge Model P, DayStar Quantum PE .5 Angstrom, PGR FLEA-2 CCD video camera, Meade 14" RC with Astro-Physics 1200 Goto mount.
MjrTom

Post by MjrTom »

Thanks Allan and Randy!

It's nice tinkering to try and improve the performance of the kit you have on a limited budget.
Until the wife sanctions me buying a double stacked Lunt LS100PT I shall have to make do :lol:
Well maybe an LS60T is a bit more attainable!

Mark