Collimating solar scopes

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
Allcart
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Collimating solar scopes

Post by Allcart »

Am I correct in thinking that light only travels through an etalon in one direction so using a laser collimator will not work?

Allan
brianb11213

Re: Collimating solar scopes

Post by brianb11213 »

The transmission of a hydrogen alpha solar filter set is going to be so small that unless you're using a laser tuned to hydrogen alpha wavelength you're unlikely to get a usable response in either direction.

However there's no reason why you can't collimate the scope without the filters in: and adding the filters shouldn't upset the collimation in any way.

Allcart
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Allcart »

Thats good Brian, it should work with the pst mods,. However, I was thinking about how I might collimate my LS60T mod. I cannot remove the etalon from that one.

Allan
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I've used a cheshire eyepiece in all of my solar scope mods... Definitely worth doing.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Allcart
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Allcart »

Good news, I bought a Baader MkIII laser. I removed the BF from the LS60T and I could shine the laser all the way through the lunt etalon and see the laser dot on a piece of paper fixed to the end of the C6. I then covered both ends of the C6 tube with a paper target. I made a tiny hole in the centre of the near target and a cross in the centre of the far end target. Then it was simply a case of aligning the lunt so that the beam went through the hole and aligned with the cross at the other end.

Allan
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Good stuff Alan. I will have to put a laser collimator on my Christmas list...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Allcart
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Allcart »

For my Lunt/C6 project it turned out to be invaluable. I don't think I could have lined up 2 separate scopes without it.

Allan
colinsk

Post by colinsk »

Good stuff Alan. I will have to put a laser collimator on my Christmas list...

There are diodes that are close to h-alpha and others that are a few nm off. If you are only collimating the objective then it does not matter but for the entire assembly you want a 658nm diode and temperature tune it. I am lucky enough to have spent 10 years developing a tunable laser in this frequency range for another project. But, sometimes luck favors the well prepared.

colinsk

Post by colinsk »

This is really not worth while for collimation but perhaps some people will find it interesting. This is one of my lasers.

http://redlum.xohp.pagesperso-orange.fr ... laser.html