2nd of 3 questions - Achieving focus with an Imaging Source DMK31

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
uplooker
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

2nd of 3 questions - Achieving focus with an Imaging Source DMK31

Post by uplooker »

Achieving focus with an Imaging Source DMK31
I have tried on numerous occasions to achieve focus on my TAL 100RS PST Stage 2 Mod with an Imaging Source DMK31, all with no success. I even turned a few more millimeters off the rear etalon adaptor, again I had no luck achieving focus. I can see the limb of the sun on the screen, I just can not get focus. I have tried using the tutorial someone posted a while back that told you how to achieve focus using the histogram. No matter what Exposure, Gain or gamma settings I use I can not achieve the “classic” whale histogram, or focus!

Question:
What would be the suggested Exposure, Gain and gamma settings for a TAL 100RS PST Stage 2 Mod and an Imaging Source DMK31 to capture prominences?

Ian

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: 2nd of 3 questions - Achieving focus with an Imaging Source DMK31

Post by marktownley »

Gain 260 (minimum), exposure 1/60th sec, gamma 100

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Allcart
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Allcart »

hi Ian, can you get focus on the disc?

Allan
uplooker
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by uplooker »

Hi Allan,

No I am not able to get focus at all. I can see the separation between the limb of the sun and space, but no definition

Ian

Allcart
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Allcart »

Well as others have said, you need to re check your measurements. Does sound like your focus arrangement is too long. I had the same trouble with my first borg helical. I had to change the lenses in the etalon to lengthen the optical train so that I could focus. In the end I changed all the components so that they would work with the proper etalon lenses. Cost me a few quid I can tell ya, but its all fine now.

Allan