Any way to combine my ls60 to my meade127?

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
RobBower

Any way to combine my ls60 to my meade127?

Post by RobBower »

Im seeing all this mod stuff.....and really curious about turning my 60 lunt into meade 127mm triplet.... Good? Bad? Completely retarded?
Thoughts from you great peeps please!

RobBower

Re: Any way to combine my ls60 to my meade127?

Post by RobBower »

Lmao I just didnt want to fork out another 5000 for a 100mm or 9000 for the 152......

And I have a nice new hacksaw blade...... I need to cut something up.... Hahahahaha

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

If they can put a pst on an 8"refractor they must be able to use a lunt 60 to build a 127!

Union President here.... Ill cut just about anything! Hahahahahahaha

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

:side: :blink: as long as it has a chance of working out! That is....

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Stop it John! I was looking at a 152 a couple of weeks ago...... I wasnt gonna spend... Just mod.... I have the 127 apo already! Lol

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

:whistle: Hmmmm if I sell the 127 apo for a 153 achro.... Isnt that kinda going a little backwards? Maybe I should sell the 127 and buy the 6" lunt? Then sell my truck and buy a scooter to get back to work! M :woohoo: :hamster:

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Lol so you think I should just get a 6"achro and butcher it i stead! :P :hamster: :rockon:

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

:ohmy: Hmmmmm i guess I best just place an order for a 100 or 152mm lunt and just bite the bullet..... :pinch:

sullij1
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by sullij1 »

Where there is a will there is a way. We have discusssed it here before and it has been sucessfully done. Google it. Here are a couple of leads:

Our chat:
http://solarchat.natca.net/index.php/en ... unt-etalon

The best I saw was in this blog. You will have to search for the detailed instructions but they are there. Here is the overview with the warning not to do it unless you are confident in your skill set.

http://www.davidcortner.com/slowblog/20120717s.php

Look Up!
sullij1

Post by sullij1 »

If memory serves correctly Andy Murner pulled it off on one of his early designs. Check with him.

Look Up!
sullij1

Post by sullij1 »

Look Up!
Allcart
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Allcart »

And here is one I did recently. No reason why you could not do this with a 127mm. It also works fine with my 120mm XLT. No tube cutting needed.

http://solarchat.natca.net/index.php/en ... =120#70249

I'll gladly swap my C6-R for your 127 if you like.

Allan
RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Lol John.... Trust me bud. Im not dropping the coin! I cant justify the spend while I have this lovely 60! But I would like to try and get it on the 127! Not having to use the powermates to get in tight to all that detail and a bit more light gathering..... Its just what I need....

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Thanks for the links Sulli im going to read all about it!

Allan.... Letme think about that one! :woohoo:

sullij1

Post by sullij1 »

Your welcome, send us som pics if ya get'er done. :)

Look Up!
Allcart
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Allcart »

Hey! don't think too long Rob. I don't make that kind of offer everyday. :lol:

Allan
MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Hi Rob...

By the mods assembled by the folk here I'd say that you can likely make anything if you have the time and patience.

The PST mods work well, especially with a scope with an f10 objective. The DSII etalon assembly works well for me on f10 and f8 systems (the Lunt scopes are f7 so closer to that seems to work a bit better).

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Lol Ok Allan....

Brian my meade is a series 5000 triplet. Its 950mm and F7.5
John tells me youre a master of Mods..... Im all ears! Lol

Is this something you might recommend? Or am I way off on this? I wont be double stacking this as it will reduce the newly added apeture back down to 60mm. But for close up images.... Is this a good or bad idea?

Allcart
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Allcart »

I think its an excellent idea Rob, but I'm sure Brians mod won't work with the LS60T. The LS60 etalon position is outside of the tube and so can't be attached like Brians DSII. I based my LS60 mod on David Cortners idea as it allowed an easy method of changing from 60mm to 150mm. All I have to do is remove the front lens from the LS60 and then slide the LS60 into its dovetail plate on the aluminium cradle.
The hardest part was collimating the optical path of the 2 scopes, but a pair of 100mm guidescope rings and a laser collimater made that easy.
I can use the same cradle for my 150mm C6R and my 120mm XLT just by changing the position of the LS60 in its dovetail plate. To revert back to the standard LS60 I just remove it from the cradle and screw the lens back on.
My erf is sub aperture and fits in a foam cell at the end of the donor tube just in front of the LS60T. This is how the 120mm looks with the LS60 behind it. This mod did not require any machining skills and the only tools needed were a hacksaw a drill and a tape measure.

Attached files

Allan
RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Thanks Allan this looks like an interesting way to go. How much dust etc do you get in that gap? Or are you just showing before its closed in? Also, you are double stacking, so thats just a 60mm again with very long focal length. Do you notice a huge difference in detail?

Allcart
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Allcart »

I did intend to cover the gap, but have not got round to it yet. I don't notice much in the way of dust at the moment, but it would be easily dealt with if some should appear. I have only just made the DS adapter and have only had a short trial with it on the scope. I need more time with it to evaluate it properly. It does add a lot of ghost images into the view when used as a DS.
On the other hand, the LS60f on its own on the front of the 120XLT is much better. No ghost at all, and tuning is easy albeit a bit of an arm stretch and it does bring things in closer too. I still favour the PT over the tilt tune, so the Lunt mod is still better.

Allan
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Any dust that does get into that gap will not be visible at the focal plane....

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Since I wouldnt be using it with a front etalon ever...I think Id need a more permanent completion in order to do the mod... I was hoping to turn my 127 into a permanent solar H-alpha using the pressure tuner set up and blocking filter on my ls60.. Then sell my ds module. Either that or I sell my 60 and double stack and get the etalon and blocking filter 100 for the 127.... Seemed cheaper the first way with more apeture.

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Hi Rob...

You should come over one day and have a look at the mod using the DSII module.

Depending upon the scope you may not have to cut the OTA tube...my C102 had to be cut, but the CR-150 works as is. Biggest issue will be getting a flange machined to match the DSII unit to the tube, and an ERF. If you stop it down to 100mm, you get an f10 light cone and could run a PST mod as an alternate mod.

I spoke with Lunt on Friday and 80mm DSII's are a 3-4 months out.

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

C14 + Lunt 80ED

2.2m Diameter Dome
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Thanks Brian! Id love to check that out! As far as this mod goes...im in the dark! Lots of good ideas....but it has to be permanent!

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

Rob,
The Lunt60, internal tilt tuned etalon has been successfully used on a few mods now.
No major issues/ problems - just need to find that "majic sweet spot"
There's a complete thread here on the mods....
(I'll find it and paste the link)
http://solarchat.solarastronomy.org/ind ... talon#7002

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
RobBower

Post by RobBower »

The folks at KW said I should get in touch with you Brian! They claim you are the guy in regards to the mod Im looking for.... It kind of blew me away actually. I was calling them to order the LS100.... Then we got talking about why I wanted it....then he sent me to you? Lol hmmm how much are your advisor fees? :)

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Hi Rob...

My advice comes pretty cheap. I got where I am with a lot of assistance form the modders here, so only happy to extend what help I can in return.

I was at KW a few weeks ago and took in the laptop and showed Brady and Brian the images I had been getting, so they likely had that fresh in mind when you spoke with them.

We should talk about what you need/want then you can decide on the LS100 or go on the mod route! If you want visual and large FOV on images the mod isn't my 1st choice. There is a distinct sweet spot visually and on prime focus (even 2x barlow) images...so if this is what you want it may not be the best choice. You may have a better FOV with the f7.5 OTA...my initial scope was a 4", f10 before moving to the 6", f8 OTA used now. The Lunt objectives are f7, so my guess is the closer to f7 the donor OTA is the better the match to the etalon.

I'll send you my phone #...house or cell...let me know when you might call (home evenings after 8, or cell in daytime) and I'll send you the numbers.

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

C14 + Lunt 80ED

2.2m Diameter Dome
RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Thanks Brian
My apo is 7.5 im happy with the ls60 for great full disks but i like getting ROI. Not enough length for that...nor the aperture for really high resolution of them. If the best solution s just a 90 Coronado screwed on the front of my meade.... Then so be it as well.... I can however always learn mosaics.... Maybe?

My email..... [email protected]

Feel free to send your info when ever you like so we can chat.... John Hicks might even be up for a lunch meeting? Lol

Anyone else who wants my email can grab it too..... Im not too worried! Lol