Red halo around Sun?

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
vikeljay

Red halo around Sun?

Post by vikeljay »

What does it mean if I got a red halo around the Sun? I have never seen that before?
Thanks.
Jim

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Red halo around Sun?

Post by marktownley »

Hi Jim.

Are you talking about viewing through a Ha scope here? Was it hazy clouds? Give us a bit more information to go on buddy :)

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
vikeljay

Post by vikeljay »

It was a PST single stack. I was using a 12mm Cemax eyepiece and I am pretty sure I was in focus.
Jim

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

My guess would be high cloud. Could you see ha features? Have you dropped the PST?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Wah
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Wah »

Based on my past experience, it could be ERF problem......

vikeljay

Post by vikeljay »

It must have been the seeing conditions yesterday. I went out this morning and all was well. Every thing was crystal clear. Thanks for your help.
Jim