Solar Scope Advice

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
brianm910
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Solar Scope Advice

Post by brianm910 »

I’m fixing to invest in a Solar Telescope. I will have more fun getting images than anything. I will be mounting it on my iOptron ZEQ 25 with my Canon 5D Mark III.
Maybe one that I can add accessories on to later? I want to be able to have fun viewing and have the satisfaction of my final photo having great details. So, in your opinion, should I get the Meade, or the Lunt…?

Solarmax II:
60 Single BF 5mm
60 Single BF 10mm
60 DS BF 10mm

OR -

Lunt:
LS60THa - B600 (60mm single stack) ($1200 or $1500)

Or do you have another completely option you would suggest?

longtech
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Re: Solar Scope Advice

Post by longtech »

I started with the SM60 II DS with BF15 and as much as I loved it, I always wanted more aperture...and I was totally frustrated trying to contact Meade for any kind of support. I discovered that my research was terminated prematurely...had I learned a little more I would have discovered that Lunt was the way to go.

Within a year I ended up buying a larger aperture Lunt and now almost 2 years later I know I made the right choice.

FWIW the same team currently building the Lunt products, designed the original Coronado scopes and they are works of art...but the Coronado scopes are now being built by Meade in their their northern Mexico factory. They are generally well built but missing the attention to detail of the original Lunt made Coronado scopes. The other thing to consider is that the design is unchanged since Meade took over years ago.

Lunt Solar Systems on the other hand continues to refine their product line...constantly pushing the envelope and discovering new ways to improve the reliability, performance and safety of the entire product range...and if you call Lunt you can speak directly to their technical staff that actually build their products and get questions or concerns addressed immediately.
As an example of customer service; I stopped by the Lunt tent at a small local tradeshow and mentioned an issue I was having...they had me bring it over and fixed it on the spot...bottom lkine, everyone I've dealt with at Lunt has been exceptional and made me feel like they understood my issue and went above and beyond to deal with it...everyone, every time!

...compared to the one time I called Coronado where I spent 10 minutes of pushing buttons to navigate a call center to reach a guy who wasn't sure what H-alpha referred to trying to leaf through a stach of customer service scripts trying to figure out which one to recite...totally clueless :-(

my 2 cents
--SP

brianm910
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by brianm910 »

Awesome reply!! Thank you. So now I'm thinking I may as well upgrade and go to the Lunt LS60THa with the B1200 BF and DS with the pressure tuner. This will cost twice as much as I originally wanted, but I think if I get this one, I will not need to get another one. Plus, isn't this a model that can continue to be upgraded?

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

brianm910 wrote:Awesome reply!! Thank you. So now I'm thinking I may as well upgrade and go to the Lunt LS60THa with the B1200 BF and DS with the pressure tuner. This will cost twice as much as I originally wanted, but I think if I get this one, I will not need to get another one. Plus, isn't this a model that can continue to be upgraded?
That sounds the best option to me...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
longtech
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by longtech »

Glad it was helpful...and I truly believe you'll be stoked with any of the Lunt products as your first solar scope...and a year down the road you'll still be happy

BTW not to throw a wrench in the works but I was checking the Lunt site and noticed that the LS60 THa DS with BF1200 and the LS80 THa SS with BF1200 are only a few hundred dollars apart.
...Now the LS80 THa I mentioned is only single stack but its 80mm aperture and 560mm focal length...and you can always add the DS module down the road...but the aperture is the aperture.
I got the DS for my Lunt as soon as they were available and kept it on for a couple months but eventually pulled it off since it forced me to push the camera's sensitivity too high for my taste. Its a better visual experience but its more difficult to tune...nowadays, I use my DS about 2-3% of the time...usually when my wife forces me to set up for visiting family and friends.
...again, just my opinion...your mileage may vary

FWIW these are the types of images I can get with my Lunt in SS mode;
Attachments
RED-MONO-DRAGON-4K-PROMS_SURFACE-A008-C013-033115-4K.jpg
TRIPTYCH-AR12384-071415.JPG
DIPTYCH-C.JPG
LS-A006-C088-032_g2_ap3572-4K-RS2201-2nd-CRa-CHR-2d.jpg

brianm910
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by brianm910 »

Hmm, those are awesome photos. I would like to go to the 80mm but I'm running out of money because of you guys. LOL
I'm thinking I will be happy with the 60mm DS. I can always enlarge my photos digitally when I shoot them at 18 mp.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Just as a heads up you wont get good results shooting Ha with a DSLR, far better to use a dedicated monochrome imager.

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
brianm910
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by brianm910 »

Thank you Mark! I guess I'm use to my other astrophotographywork. So, without spending a lot of money, which CCD camera would you recommend to get clear images? Maybe I can go with a budget one to start with? But not one I will wish I didnt' get? I spend a lot of time on Amazon, is there one over there I could get that I would have fun with?

longtech
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by longtech »

Hands down the best dedicated solar imagers are using Sony's IMX174 Exmor sensor.

Point Grey, Basler and ZWO make dedicated astro-imagers using this sensor and the least expensive is from ZWO at $599 http://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/pro ... /asi174mm/

If the budget is being squeezed then you could get similar performance although a slightly smaller sensor and lower framerate with the ASI120MM for $289: http://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/pro ... si120mm-s/

If you're ok with USB2 the the previous version of ASI120MM is $229

again...this is based on my experience and preference...but one thing I think most forum members will agree with...You'll get better performance from any of these vs a DSLR

brianm910
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by brianm910 »

Thank you Longtech!!!!
I'm assuming I can use either one of these with my nighttime photography too? I have a Williams 105mm Refractor that has great optics. I guess I really do need to switch over to CCD and reserve my heavy camera for other projects. I'm sure I will enjoy a whole different world when I do.

So, quickly explain since I'm new to CCD. The 1st camera you recommended is a monochrome CCD. When I take pictures with that one, will my photos be in monochrome too? If so, I'm assuming I would use software to bring it to color?
These CCD cameras just fits into the eye piece, right?
I'll stop bothering you guys on this once my mind is satisfied with what I need to get.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Reading this thread will help http://solarchat.natca.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17660

Yes, monochrome will give you black and White, and colour can be added in post processing. Halpha is monochrome so you will utilise every pixel on the chip.

These CCD cameras just fit on the eyepiece end https://www.flickr.com/photos/alexandra ... 535593245/ the blue box is the DMK41 on the telescope.

Alexandra

brianm910
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by brianm910 »

So do you think I will be okay if I choose the ASI174MC? http://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/pro ... /asi174mc/ - That way I want have to do as much post processing? Or do you still think that I will loose out on detail if I go the color route?

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Yes, you will lose out on loads of detail. It has to be the mono camera.

brianm910
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by brianm910 »

Ok I understand. Do I need to purchase a filter wheel and filters when I get the camera? I have Photoshop to help with post processing.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

No filter wheel or filters needed, colour is added in photoshop in post processing

brianm910
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by brianm910 »

Welp.... It looks like I know what my solar setup will be - the Lunt Solar 60mm Ha Solar Telescope Double Stacked with Pressure Tuner / B1200 Filter / 2" Crayford Focuser/ and the ASI174MM/MC CMOS camera.

It would be cool to get the 80mm or even the 100mm, but I just can't afford it.

If you can think of anything else that would make things easier, let me know. I'm sure I can figure out how to add colour with Photoshop.
I trust your knowledge. And again thank you for helping me decide my setup.

longtech
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by longtech »

You're going to love it...looking forward to seeing some pics from you

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

"Im fixing to"....??

Do you live near me in Atlanta?

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
brianm910
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by brianm910 »

LOL, yep - Stephen. I'm in North Carolina. It's cool you recognized the southern way of saying, "I'm going to do something."

brianm910
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by brianm910 »

After reviewing everything, I know I want to some deep sky imaging, Do you think I should get the ASI178MM (mono) cooled? Is this model just as good a the ASI174MM/MM model?

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Noooo, get the 174

brianm910
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by brianm910 »

I just committed to the setup except I got the one with the feather touch focuser. I got the 174 Mark. Thank you. I'm a bit nervous. But I've already been doing some astrophotography, so I'm sure I will get results with the solar setup within a short period of time.

Derek Klepp
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Derek Klepp »

Look foward to your pics.

brianm910
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by brianm910 »

Okay my friends.... I got all my equipment in. Obviously solar scopes have more moving parts than a regular refractor. So... I have no idea how to get started. I got the basic instructions that came with it, but I don't know how to identify the parts. So, is there a diagram or better instructions on how to identify the parts and how to use the focusing system on my LS60THaPT? I have the extra filter too (DS)
Thanks if you can help!

T McVicar
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by T McVicar »

That last sunspot pic longtech in color is a killer! Awesome shots, and you make a compelling case haha

Tyson- my amateur photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/134930728@N02/
Lunt LS50THa
Meade 10" F10 ACF
Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 GT
ASI224MC
Orion Skyview Pro
_Zakalwe
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by _Zakalwe »

brianm910 wrote:Welp.... It looks like I know what my solar setup will be - the Lunt Solar 60mm Ha Solar Telescope Double Stacked with Pressure Tuner / B1200 Filter / 2" Crayford Focuser/ and the ASI174MM/MC CMOS camera.

I use this mix of equipment. You will need a decent Barlow in there too, as the pixels on the 174 are pretty big and without barlowing you will see the pixels in processing. A x2.5 works well- you will need a little overlap to get a full disc on there. No great problems to join the mosaics in Photoshop or Microsoft ICE.

You might get some Newton's Rings with the ASI....I certainly do on my Quark setup and I get some banding on the Lunt. A tilt adapter is a good solution to these...I recommend the one from Rowan Astronomy:
http://rowanastronomy.com/productsa4.htm#adaptors

Don't bother with anything other than Autostakkert for stacking- it does a grand job. I recommend ImPPG for sharpening- Registax used to be the king, but things have moved on considerably.

For processing, have a look at Ken Crawford's tutorials- they are really very good. He also has a Photoshop action on his site that is a good baseline for pseudo colour.

Ohh, and you'll hate me for saying this :o , but start saving for a double-stack Etalon. The Lunt L60 is a great tool, but once you have used one with a DS Etalon you will never go back!
Good luck and have fun!

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Post by michael.h.f.wilkinson »

Bit late to the thread, but I would recommend AutoStitch for win64 for mosaics. It bests MS-ICE every time on H-alpha (but not on lunar, Ca-K and white light, I must add). It is free, and you just dump the images in there, and it goes ahead and stitches them. You do need a lot of overlap between frames, but the results can be awesome. This is one of my favourites:

Solar kit: GP-C8 with Thousand Oaks Solar filter, APM 80mm F/6, Lunt Herschel Wedge, Solar Spectrum 0.3Å H-alpha filter, Beloptic Tri-Band ERF (80mm free aperture), Thousand Oaks 90mm ERF, Coronado SolarMax II 60mm with Double Stack Unit. Lunt straight B1800 Ca-K module.
brianm910
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by brianm910 »

Thank you Zakalwe and Michael!!! I have a 2x barlow that came in my Celestron kit. I have to learn how to hook everything up when it comes to my imaging. This will be the first time I do cmos imaging with my computer. Michael, that is an awesome image. That gives me a goal. Maybe I will get one like yours after I learn everything. Right now, I feel overwhelmed and not sure what everything is. At least I got the right equipment. :)

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Post by michael.h.f.wilkinson »

I have posted a short guide to how I process solar images here:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/2423 ... ngle-pane/

That might be helpful

Solar kit: GP-C8 with Thousand Oaks Solar filter, APM 80mm F/6, Lunt Herschel Wedge, Solar Spectrum 0.3Å H-alpha filter, Beloptic Tri-Band ERF (80mm free aperture), Thousand Oaks 90mm ERF, Coronado SolarMax II 60mm with Double Stack Unit. Lunt straight B1800 Ca-K module.
brianm910
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by brianm910 »

After everyone's help in March of last year, and your equipment advice, and tech support from others on Charlie's FB Site, Here are a couple of my better photos.... Lunt 60mm single stack, and ASI ZWO174mm. I still don't know how to get good photos with my 2nd filter attached. I'm still learning.

Brian
Attachments
Sun with prom2.jpg
Sun with prom2.jpg (3.06 MiB) Viewed 4608 times
Sun 9.jpg
Sun 9.jpg (91.76 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
Last edited by brianm910 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Some lovely pics Brian :hamster: are we missing one photo as there is a gap?

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Looks like you're getting there!

brianm910
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by brianm910 »

With your advice, I took a video and stacked it using AutoStakkert. I finished it up with Photoshop. Well, it made all the difference. This was the sun last week. It had a bit more action than this week. I'm please with it.
Attachments
Sun2.jpg
Sun2.jpg (597.67 KiB) Viewed 4465 times

Derek Klepp

Post by Derek Klepp »

Keep at it Brian a good full disc.

Andre444
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Andre444 »

Hi i like to know witch intro-solarscope is best for the money: ( the lunt 400 BF cost now about €1350 and the PST € 995) the lunt or still the PST and why? Thanks!

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

I prefer the views through the PST.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
Andre444
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Andre444 »

Hi, andre from holland. Is the baader hyperion 4 zoom with the 2.25 Barlow set worth for the PST? Update: Hi . I found out that a cemax 12 mm or a made 15 mm possel would be best for the small scope. ( i hope that they Will also made a 15 mm cemax eyepiece witch is the best size for full disk vieing!)

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Andre444 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:20 pm Hi, andre from holland. Is the baader hyperion 4 zoom with the 2.25 Barlow set worth for the PST? Update: Hi . I found out that a cemax 12 mm or a made 15 mm possel would be best for the small scope. ( i hope that they Will also made a 15 mm cemax eyepiece witch is the best size for full disk vieing!)
I agree, I like the 15mm the best. I use a 15mm Televue plossl.

Andre444
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Andre444 »

I finally buy the PST.!! Good build quality, easy use/set up. I have use it 2x but the seeing was not so good. The only problem now is that i cant find/see the sweet spot. Do someone have Some usefull advice to find the spot? I use the 20 mm kelner becource i dond have other ones. Thanks!

Andre444
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Andre444 »

Update : Hi , i look at the sun today with medium seeing.play with the focuser and tuning wheel. Despite i could not see a sweetspot, the PST let me look to a beautiful orange end Sharp sun! I have see two sunspots with Some white hot gasses arround. it pups out beautiful out of the orange sun! Now i waiting to see things like proms and filements. If i can see them as good,then i dond care annymore about the sweet spot! Now i save my momey for a caddy cap and a TMB 9mm planerary 2 eyepiece. Thanks made!!!

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Hello Andre, I am glad you are happy with the PST. Don't worry about the sweetspot, all that is, is an area where there is the highest contrast, this is not really applicable when viewing with your eyes, but if you use a camera where the field of view is very small then you want that small field of view to be on the area with maximum contrast (sweet spot).

Use this website as a guide when you tune the PST with the tuning ring. You want to get it so you see most contrast. Look at the daily image http://halpha.nso.edu/index.html#top and today you will see there are filaments connected to the sunspot and a prominence at 5 O Clock. Try and tune the PST so you can see these features easily. Remember your view will be upside down :)

Alexandra

Andre444
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Andre444 »

Hi, Montana. I think now that the sweetspot was were i see the Sharp details.i think it was not posseble to see this without the sweetspot. I only Though first that the sweetspot was something different, i was confused with a verry bright light, what i see at youtoub witch rises acros the disk. I think it was light reflection of the camera. So, no more worrys ,i looking forward for a lot of fewing with the Scope! ( the double stack is in my mind too, maby i save my money fot that for next year.) Thanks for your advice.
Last edited by Andre444 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andre444
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Andre444 »

Hi, i have the pst now for a while and i happy withe the purchase. The views have nice contrast ( in the better seeings) and are relaxt to watch. I use a planetery zoom (€55) and it works great! ( maby the best eyepiece for the pst?) when the conditions shows less contrast, i use the 21.5 on the zoom to see Some grandulation and even proms. One time afther i just set up the scope, i could see lots of proms all arround the limb and could zoom all the way in!( full disk) Maby this had someting to do with the position of the sun ?? and seeing?? But most ofthen i most move the trypod to the " sweet spot" ( i also dond use the tuning ring ofthen maby should use it more) not a big deal annyways. Thanks!

Bruce Girrell

Post by Bruce Girrell »

Nice job on the processing Longtech!
I have a Lunt LS80THa too, so I know what you're starting with. I have been fairly happy with my images, but they're not nearly as good as yours. Impressive!