Lunt 50 vs SolarMax II 60 vs Quark Cromosfere.

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Pluton
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Lunt 50 vs SolarMax II 60 vs Quark Cromosfere.

Post by Pluton »

Hello,
In this case I am looking for information about an observing telescope in Ha, I have some doubts,for my budget, one is the Solarmax II 60 BF10, I think it has a good price but it throws me back the bad reputation of its after-sales service ..., on the other hand I like the Lunt 50 BF400, which is somewhat cheaper, same in details visual? but I doubt if with the BF400 it would be good for visual observation,(the B600 model have a price like the SM II 60,) which is what interests me, and in the end too I like the Daystar Quark chromosphere, the same price as the Solarmax II 60 BF10 but I do not have a refractor telescope and it would mean a bigger outlay ... all is for visual observation...no photo!!
Thank you for your advice in advance...
For info:
.Lunt 50 BF400-999 euro
SolarMax II 60 BF10- 1300 euro
Quark Cromosfere- 1345 euro

Best regards
Paul

krakatoa1883
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: Lunt 50 vs SolarMax II 60 vs Quark Cromosfere.

Post by krakatoa1883 »

No experience with SM60 II. I have both a Lunt50 and a Quark chromo. Lunt50 is a very portable scope and easy to use, but resolution is limited and imaging is difficult unless its original focuser is replaced with something better. Quite a limited scope particularly in the B400 version (which I don't recommend), I use it only for full disc imaging and as a modification of my 150mm achromat.

Quark chromo is more suitable for detailed views of the chromosphere, however quality is not constant, it takes a little luck to find a good one. It needs a power supply (a portable battery is enough) and can't provide full disc views except with very short refractors. However if working fine it would be a very enjoiable and powerful device for both visual observing and imaging. I would suggest to purchase the Combo version instead of the standard version, and use it with an external good Barlow or telecentric amplifier.

Hope it helps.

Raf
My solar images and reports with articles on solar equipment
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Quarks are for higher res, the Lunts and Coronados are effectively just full disk scopes. What do you want to do?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Pluton
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Pluton »

Well, I like a good full disk image, but also a good high resolution image ......the dedicated solar telescope like Lunt or Solarmax can be also , good performer for some high res ?
Thanks
Paul

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

No, the lunts and coronados don't do hi-res. Medium res maybe, f20. Above this it's all just oversampling and you might as well just blow up a final image in software instead.

No such thing as a free lunch in solar imaging!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Pluton
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Pluton »

Thnaks for your kind answer!
Regards

daslolo
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by daslolo »

krakatoa1883 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:37 pm I would suggest to purchase the Combo version instead of the standard version
Can you explain why and show your setup?
I only read their website which presented the combo as SCT only.

PST on its way to modding heaven
Quark + Orion 120mm + beloptik
LX65 8" ACF
krakatoa1883
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by krakatoa1883 »

Combo can be used with any scope, SCT or refractor, provided manufacturer's instructions are followed. One only needs to add a telecentric amplifier in front of the Combo (or something similar as a TeleVue Powermate) in order to get a sweet spot as large as possible. Combo is perfect for use with long focus refractors as they need only a modest amplification to approach the f/30 condition. It is fine with short focus refractors as well if one uses a stronger amplifier.

Chromosphere Quark has a built-in 4.2x telecentric that makes the device awkward to use with long focus telescopes as the real FOV becomes very small and the amplification excessive in most instances. For short refractors is perfect.
combo.jpg
combo.jpg (62.88 KiB) Viewed 5855 times

Raf
My solar images and reports with articles on solar equipment