REGISTAX versus AVISTACK

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Pedro

REGISTAX versus AVISTACK

Post by Pedro »

Tried Registax 6 and Avistack 2 on the same avi file using exactly the same image processing parameters.

Avistack was used for aligning and stacking the images (automatic mode) and the wavelets were applied with Ragistax 6 (both files).

Avistack does a better job but it is very slow (it takes about four times longer to process the avi file). Registax is also very good.

See the pics.

best regards

earl

Re: REGISTAX versus AVISTACK

Post by earl »

I can see the difference. AviStax does appear to do a better job. I still use Registax 5.1. Version 6 crashes on my system and I have had terrible luck using Avistack using auto mode. Guess I will try again with AviStack.

Thanks for posting results

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

They look identical to me. I use Registax 6. I tried avistack a few times but when you have 30 or 40 avis to process from each event, the time required was not practical. By the way, the image is awesome!

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
Cschur
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Cschur »

Pedro, you and I are on the same wavelength on this one. I have been doing extensive testing the past few weeks on both and have come to similar conclusions. They are:

1. AVIstack does a much better job at aligning and stacking images
2. AVi stack takes 2x longer than registax 6 to go from avi to ready to post process.
3. AVistack wavelets is inferior in that it dumps noise all over the images.
4. Registax wavelets is superior in that the images are sharper with less noise.
5. AVI stack an stack AVIs over .99 Mb but registax has never been able to do this. (kills me with DMK51)
6. And the BIGGEST cool thing about avi stack is I can set it up to batch process un attended. Set for the highest number of registration points, max number of quality zones, and let er rip for a few hours. It so far has never messed up a file, and the results are alway better in sharpness.

So here is what I do now: process all my avis in Avistack in batch mode while i go out and run for a few hours, or work on the house. Then post process in Registax wave lets or Photoshop.

Chris Schur

----------------------------------

Birch Mesa Observatory, Payson Arizona

Clear Creek Canyon Observatory, Happy Jack, Arizona
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

This is a great comparison. I think the differences are subtle and which an individual uses is going to come down to personal preferences. I'm an avistack man myself, though I do apply wavelets in registax5.1. Avistack is slower, however I recently got a brand spanking new all singing and dancing laptop and I have to say that I find now avistack rips through those avi files considerably faster than my older lappy.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

I agree wuth you both. For processing 30Gb of data Registax is more convenient. Batch processing in Avistack is great and you can put it to work for a couple of hours (unattended).

best regards

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I find I use all three, Avistack takes 20 minutes on my computer to do 1x 1000 image file so if I have 5 pictures I have to go away for a long time and come back but does surface features brilliantly in Ha. I then use the wavelets in Registax. I dread to think if I did an animation of 30 images, that is days and I think my computer would blow up!

For prominences Registax 5 works best for me.

For white light, only Registax 6 has ever worked for me.

Regards
Alexandra

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi all

for mee it works the same:

avi stack works fine and can do an un attended batch job

wavelets in Registax are better then in avi stack

prom shots work much better in Registax

sum up: use both ;-), lets join them and let them sell it for a small price. I'm sure that would work, for the greatest sun-fun-stacking-tool on earth. Stephen, as our boss, it's your turn ;-)

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
JimLafferty

Post by JimLafferty »

Interesting...avistack takes less than a quarter the time to process my Avi's than Registax does. It runs at light speed for me. I wonder why it's so much slower for you folks. Do you have the screen update disabled? If not it does take forever.
Jim

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Where's the screen update button?????
please tell..

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Where's the screen update button?????
please tell..

Alexandra

It's a small tick box towards the top of the display box in avistack, needs to be un-ticked. However will need to do it for all steps where display screen is active.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Alexandra

disabling the screen update is a must. You will see thats speeds up the process enormously

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Hi Jim

Thanks a lot for your input, it surely speeds up the process.

best regards

Pedro

Post by Pedro »

screen shot Avistack & Registax

Thanks again Jim for your fantastic tip. I am now processing the videos obtained this morning and I have avistack and registax open in my computer. Avistack is being used for batch processing (WL AVIs) and Registax for post-processing (Toshiba R630 i5 4Gb RAM laptop with external screen). See the attached pic. Everything is much faster and images are much better aligned and stacked.

best regards

Ken Crawford

Post by Ken Crawford »

This is very interesing. I just downloaded AVIstack and installed it on my processing machine. My processing machine is setup for high end video work and of course 64 bit. Twice now I have tried this program only to find that it crashes at some pont. These machines are tweaked for processing (64 bit quad core i7 windows 7 - 16gig, ect)

any tips?

Pedro

Post by Pedro »

FULL SIZE
http://re.apaaweb.com/sun_20111231_FS12 ... _11388.jpg
SUN (20111231) AR11389/AR11388. Takahashi FS128, F/8.1, X2 Barlow, 2" Lunt Solar Wedge, Baader Solar Continuum filter, DMK41, (stack of 250 images).

Hi Ken:

I also use W7 64 bits and Avistack works like a charm. I use a Toshiba R630 laptop R630 i5 quadcore 4Gb RAM. No idea why it crashes in your system.

Avstack is really much better for aligning and stacking images but only for that.

Here's an image aligned in Avistack and processed in Rehistax (wavelets) + PS CS5

best regards

Ken Crawford

Post by Ken Crawford »

Thanks - much be the error trapping is not very good and I am just doing something wrong in the process.

I have never been real happy with RegStax alignment process. I will give it a try - have dual machines side by side for rendering. do you have any pics of your best workflow with AVIstack?

Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Hi Ken:

Up to now I have used Avistack in full automatic mode. It seems to work fine, at least better than registax as far as alignment and stacking is concerned. The batch processing is great. I just load the avi files (5 to 10 files) and hit batch processing (auto mode). At the end two 16 bit files are saved (FITS and PNG) for each avi file. I use the FITS image in Registax (wavelets) and save a TIF file for post-precssing in PS CS5. Hope this helps.

best

vidman

Post by vidman »

I am new to Solar imaging. All my past has been DSO and I have never used Registax or Avistack. I am beginning to use them. i am following this post with interest.

Can someone help me with settings for Wavelets?

Pedro

Post by Pedro »

The advise should be use wavelets with care. If you don't it is very easy to get an overprocessed image (some do not use wavelets altogether). I normally use only the 3 or 4 first layers. Always change the default value (wavelet tab) from 50 to 500 or 1000. Final processing should be in PS CS (unsharp mask, smart sharp, hipass...).

best