Coronado 60mm Richview

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Coronado 60mm Richview

Post by rsfoto »

Hi Guys,

I have on loan the above Coronado in order to decide if I buy it or not.

My first inspection of this filter did show some things I misliked. Not big issue so far.

First point is that the famous silver round sticker was not in its place and second I think to know why.

The Pin with the rubber point which is glued onto the ERF for pressing onto the Etalon is also not correctly centered (1.5mm off center) and therefore after adjusting it, it necessarily moves out of place the silver sticker. ¿ Is this made on purpose or just a poor assembly ?

¿ Is this silver sticker really a must in there ?

¿ How can I get rid of the glue on the top surface of the Etalon ?

¿ Would this excentricity affect the applied pressure onto the Etalon in that way that the Etalon distance is not even all over ? eg. tilted ¿?

¿ Should the pin press exactly centered or do I hear the fleas coughing ? :cheer:

Thanks for your comments.

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Coronado 60mm Richview

Post by marktownley »

Hey there :)

The silver sticker covers the central area of the etalon that is uncoated and is where the etalon spacer plate sits. For this reason it needs to be there.

Not sure about your other questions...

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the explanation.

But the Sticker does move away when I twist the Richview ring for tuning :? and does not stay in place.

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

But the Sticker does move away when I twist the Richview ring for tuning :? and does not stay in place.

Poor Coronado build quality I sadly suspect...

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

[quote]But the Sticker does move away when I twist the Richview ring for tuning :? and does not stay in place.

Poor Coronado build quality I sadly suspect...

Hi Mark,

Could be. Look at this image adn you can see the excentricity difference of the center push pin. Approx. 1.5 to 1.65mm eg. it describes a circle of 3 to 3.3mm in diameter :unsure:

So how can the silver sticker stay in place ¿?

http://astroforo.net/astro/Sol/Coronado-60-RV.jpg

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

The silver stickies on my DS40 etalons are not exactly central either, and different on each etalon. Seems to me like they were just stuck on by eye - like a postage stamp would be stuck on. A shame really given the optical perfection the plates of the etalon are made to - then these stickies just slapped on...

To answer your question, the silver sticker cannot stay in place - it is a bad design...

etatsolarchat

Post by etatsolarchat »

They got rid of those stickers. Its the same design just no sticker on the front. The back had a 3m bumper but they got rid of that and put the metal disc on the back. If its start to move and you dare to open it up, then you can remove the lock pin, mark the exact location, then unscrew the ERF, set aside, get some tweezers and pull the disc out. Then put back together. You can also send it in. If you see it's moved then it will probably continue to move.

Personally I think they should have just stuck with the tilt only, not sure if the richview gains you anything...

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Hi,

Well I tried the Ha filter during the Christmas and New Year holidays and was not able to get decent details so I decided not to buy it.

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°