100mm pst mod first light Sept 8 2013

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
RobBower

100mm pst mod first light Sept 8 2013

Post by RobBower »

Hi all. Its been a long while since Ive been able to image. between work and this mod....Ive had little time indeed!

so.... I have just 1 issue with the mod. I have rings or spots of over exposed disk... it is from the etalon. Just not sure why.
My mod is 100mm at f10 and 1000mm

I am actually very please with the initial returns....and hope to tweak out the issues with advice from my fellow solar chums!

All images shot today with my dmk51. 500images taken with best 250 stacked in AS2.
first processing in elements 8 for smartsharp. then a quick tweak in PS7.
and as always high res version on my flickr.

There is some nice detail here.... just need to even it all out. please fire away folks!

I did not crop out the flaws in an effort that some of you will know exactly what is going on!
Thanks and see yall soon! :woohoo:

JohnM
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Re: 100mm pst mod first light Sept 8 2013

Post by JohnM »

Looking good! Did you use flats and darks?

stets
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by stets »

congrats on first light with your mod

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Thanks guys. No I didnt use flats or darks John. Im too stupid to figure that out! Just ask Asimov. Lol

I was hoping there might be an obvious issue in the mix.
I expected to get nothing if I had ade a critical error. And since there is a substantial amount of fine detail I figured I must need to shorten the tube or extend the camera distance!

I did cut off 1" of tube to achieve in focus. I may take another 10mm off to ensure my Flea will reach focus aswell.

JohnM
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by JohnM »

Seems like everyone has their favorite method for getting Solar flats. I just find a blank area on the surface and shoot an AVI at the same settings as my regular one except for defocusing slightly.
Since I don't often change my rig around once I get it right I save the flats and darks too for later reuse.
AS2 has a built in program to make them.

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Thanks John. Ill give it a shot. But even out of focus, the light/dark pattern are there. It has something to do with the etalon.... It changes from a spot to a ring as I try and tweak it out.

Ill just use a powermate and get real close up to avoid the light areas and keep shooting full disks with my 60 lunt.
Hey if it wasnt fun, we wouldnt try! :hamster:

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Hi Rob.

The huge chip of the 51 is just showing up the sweetspot of the PST that is all. You can flat it out to compensate for the variation in brightness, but longer term even if you have even brightness you will see the sweetspot also has a change in the detail due to the bandpass / CWL varying across it.

You need to image at a longer focal length to image 'within' the sweetspot if you don't want this effect. I usually image at 2000mm fl with my 100mm pst mod.

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Hey John. I may be needing that mosaic class real soon! :woohoo:

Mark, thats what I was looking for! Seeing today was complete crap. But I just got the ERF yesterday so wanted to test drive it. I was thinking it might be because of the dmk51... Thought maybe a reducer in front would help!

But i through in my 2.5 powermate and poof. No issues. Except for the witches brew bubbling away in the lense! Ill keep it up around 2000mm like you suggested!

Thanks all!
Considering its .7A Im pretty happy with the early results!

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Considering its .7A Im pretty happy with the early results!

It's a great first result! B)

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Thank you Mark!

Coming from you that means a great deal!
After all..... You lit the fire that started my mod.

Allcart
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Allcart »

Hi Rob, Mark is bang on. Thats exactly what I see with my 100mm pst/tal mod. I image with a dmk31 and a x1.6 barlow so its not quite so obvious.

Allan
RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Thank you for the verification! That settles it then! I must shoot higher mag!

Silly question..... If the 200mm etalon to chip distance is soooooo critical..... How come a barlow doesnt screw that up? I just dont get it.... :blink:

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

barlow goes after the etalon to increase the focal length...

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Yes. But that increases the distance between the etalon and the camera chip......

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Sorry Mark.... Maybe Im missing something! John will tell ya Im completely stupid! Just not afraid to try..... So..... I have my lunt b1200 diagonal. I place a barlow in the holder...then drop the camera. Now about 459mm from the etalon.....right?

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

the magic '-200mm' refers to the front of the etalon inside the focal point of the scope. So in the case of your 1000mm fl scope the etalon sits 800mm from the back of the objective lens.

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Ok I gotcha now Lol. :thanx: I may have to Mod the lunt to the 127.... I feel the need! :whistle:

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

The Prey.

Finding a happy medium.

Just cut it and put it together..

Put on a front

A back...

And poof.... 100mm solar scope pst mod.
:evil: NEXT :whistle:

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

For info purposes.
Yes I cut the tub off the pst and kept the entire etalon assembly in tact. The tub fits quite well and could be snugged with a thin piece of cardboard or some tape. Other than that it slides into a 2" focuser very nicely!
I then used the top end off my Variable Meade eyepiece projection unit and cut it down to 30mm. It is a very tight fit on the back end of the pst assembly. Just a thin dab of silicone to glue it in place. This gives a useful male thread facing back towards the camera end of things.
Here I twisted on a Baader Vari-lock T2 adapter, giving an adjustable range of 29-48mm and another male thread. With a locking ring from a camera adapter, the diagonal threads together with the vari-lock creating a perfect threaded fit! Pop in the camera and see what you get!

Allcart
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Allcart »

:thumbsup: Rob. :rockon:

Allan
JohnM
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by JohnM »

I like how you went with your assembly too.
What is that great looking piece of brass you used for your ERF cell?
Did you use the Baader DERF?, I'm hoping to be able to get one ordered next month.

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

You go it John. Lol. I cut twice on this one... :whistle:
The brass is a cut off from my buddies old scope. Seemed to be made for me....
The erf is a lunt. I wanted to be sure it all worked before spending an extra 400 on s filter

Seems to be fine. I may not chabge it if I csn find the right barlow to reduce the sweet spot

JohnM
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by JohnM »

I've always had excellent results with a TV 2.5X Power Mate. A friend of mine has a telecentric barlow from Siebert he swears by.
Since the ERF is going to be the single most expensive part I'll have to buy and I had poor results using a 25A filter, I'm going to wait and go all out with a Baader.

robert
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by robert »

Hi Rob.

The huge chip of the 51 is just showing up the sweetspot of the PST that is all. You can flat it out to compensate for the variation in brightness, but longer term even if you have even brightness you will see the sweetspot also has a change in the detail due to the bandpass / CWL varying across it.

You need to image at a longer focal length to image 'within' the sweetspot if you don't want this effect. I usually image at 2000mm fl with my 100mm pst mod.

Mark

Exactly what I was thinking :)

images and animations http://tinyurl.com/h5bgoso
2024 images https://www.flickr.com/photos/69734017@ ... 0313830045
2023 images https://www.flickr.com/photos/69734017@ ... 0304905278
ED80. ED100. Celestron-150mm-PST mod. C8 edge. ES127
LS60PT-LS60F-B1200. B600-Cak. PGR-Ch3-IMX265
RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Thanks for the info. I will be interested to see how the baader derf works!

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

:thanx: Hopefully the next session will have more pleasing pics! Im hopeful! Things could ave looked much worse.

John I se the powermate 2.5 and 5x and have a TV 3x as well.
Actually have a 1.6 nose piece for my binos....? Hmmmmm Maybe?

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Yeah buddy. You got it right

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Wow I just gave a long explanation and it doesnt even show up? John if ya want my pst parts....they are yours buddy

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Hi Rob...

Congrats on the first light with your mod...great crop of images. Last word you were waiting for the ERF to arrive...good to see you got it together.

I've been away much of the week and just getting back today or I would have chimed in earlier. Follow the de-focused disk suggestions for a flat field...works pretty well.

Looking forward to more results as you fine tune the system.

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Thanks Brian!
I was going to try the de-focus trick as mentioned above. But the disk is still very un-even when out f focus! Im not sure how that will work out....

Ive taken the tube down another 15mm in an attempt to get a better distance to the lense. I guess tomorrow will tell the tail?

JohnM
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by JohnM »

You should try making a flat even if you are seeing the uneven illumination on the monitor.
You might be surprised at how it changes the finished image when subtracted.
Doing flats for Solar is still kind of black magic, I've been doing it by my method for a while and usually get pretty close, but sometimes miss it by a mile and the flat I've made ruins everything. :)

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Lol Ill keep that in mind John! Thanks!

At what point in the as2 do I put in or pull out the flat?

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Rob...

The de-focused disk should be un-even, but try to exposure the captured frames at about 75-80% of maximum....capture a short stream of files...I usually use 100 or so. Run the clip through one of the stacking programs using an average of the frames to create a master flat field.

When the software 'divides' the flat into the images (applied to each individual sub-frame)it removes the dust specs, vignetting, un-even illumination, etc. Let me know if you have questions and we can step through it on the phone one day.

I'm hoping for sun tomorrow too as promised...just hope the seeing hold until noon when I get home from work :?

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
JohnM
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by JohnM »

Open and hit process for the AVI you took to create the flat.
Then up under "file" find create flat and hit that.
Then save the file it makes. I put the flats in a folder on my desk top I named AS2 Flats.

Then when you're processing your regular AVI when you get to "Frame Stacking" AS2 will want the flats and darks. If you have everything set to "manual" it'll open up another little window probably showing none of either till you've used it; at that point take the flat file you've saved and put it in there, do the same with a dark if you made one. After that every time you get to that point in processing it'll use that flat (and dark) or you can choose to use none or add a different one.

Pretty simple to do really. I use the same dark files over and over, I make new flats when I think it'll help. If I'm doing prom only shots I choose "no flat", seems to work better and if a dust mote or 2 show up I can usually clone them out.

Never tried doing like Brian just wrote.

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Thanks guys!

John (Asimov) has tried to teach me mosaics..... But Im kinda stupid..... So be ready for more questions! :?

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Lmfao i like a FLAT of beer! Darks and Lights! But damn..... Im stupid! :whistle:

JohnM
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by JohnM »

Tight knit group of stupid

Yahaa haa!!! I luv it. :thumbsup:

I'll have an Alaska Amber please.

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

No I wanted the mosaic skills for the dmk51 on the 60lunt..... Im only using the 100 mod for proms and close up high res. but I always enjoy learning boys! 1 Alaska Amber coming up!

And a Fosters for the dingo chaser! :woohoo: :bow: :whistle:

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Hahahahahaha ok buddy. Green death for my brudda down unda! :bow:

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Rob

congratulations on the mod, great first results. Have you cut down the tube another 10 mm? Results?

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Hey Walter! Thank you!

Yes I cut it back another 10-15 mm but think I may need to trim a bit more..... But..... Cant add it back as easy, so going to image this morning to see if it improved or got ugly!

Suns almost up..... The count down is on lol

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Rob

good luck. let us know about the results

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
Valery

Post by Valery »

Does anybody know (guess) what is the reason of significantly brighter central part of the sweet spot?
Is this due high vignetting or it is just because the sweet spot is not a spot, but a circle?

Valery.

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Sorry it took so long to answer....i didnt see the post until now. I know its that way on mine also. But I can tune it to be a solid sweet spot. Then increase the FL. Mark Townley is the best guy here to explain that. Or Merlin. Another is Brian Corville these guys know their sh--!

I use my 2.5x powermate and shoot inside the sweetspot and have been lucky to have some nice results! I feelt hat is really the key to the entire thing!