My Tripod Question

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Solar Seeker 52
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

My Tripod Question

Post by Solar Seeker 52 »

Hey guys,

I have the Coronado EQS Mount that holds my solar max iii. My question is when I start to track the sun, the R.A. movement is not working right? The main gear is meshing with the motor gear correctly but they are skipping. I noticed my R.A. gear movement is tighter then normal when I turn it with my fingers. Is there any way I can loosen it to where the motor will not work that hard? Also, when I track the sun, does the R.A. thumb knob need to be tight or loose during observation.

Jason

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: My Tripod Question

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Hello Jason,
We will need more details of exactly what is your scope and especially its' weight when complete with whatever accessories you are using it with ??
The total weight will also include any counter-weights too..

Also confirm that the Coronado EQS Mount is the one that has a weight limit of how much ???, as I understand that it has a weight carrying capacity of just 5Lbs, which seems far less than the scope and it's extras...

HighPoint Scientific shows the Coronado EQS Equatorial Mount with RA Drive - Controller as being 5-Lbs Weight Capacity (lb.)

Terry

DeepSolar64

Re: My Tripod Question

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I hope the gears in the EQS are better than the slow motion controls on the AZS. I have a Coronado AZS that I use with my SMII60 and the slow motion controls have never worked very well. I seldomly use them. As far as the weight is concerned it holds the scope adequately.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces