LS60MT VS LS60THa.

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Taipan
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

LS60MT VS LS60THa.

Post by Taipan »

My question is witch of those should i bye? :)
Is the MT the new version of Lunts 60mm scope? Better etalon in that one?
Only gonna use it fore sun Ha so the fact that i can use the MT as at night scope is not an issue.

Lunt LS60MT/B600PT SS. Neptune-M (IMX178), Apollo-M Mini
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: LS60MT VS LS60THa.

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Hello,
My honest opinion, after having owned and well used a LS60THaFT/B1200 as the LUNT 60mm Hydrogen-Alpha/FeatherTouch/B1200-Blocking-Filter
and a LS60TCak/B1200/FT as the LUNT 60mm Calcium-K/BF1200/FeatherTouch SolarScope both since 2010, is that although I can see the purposes of a modular telescope for other than Solar purposes, as far as a pressure-tuning system is concerned :-
the more that is added to a telescope, the more is likely to/ and does go wrong. "Murphy's Law" states that.

I have had no such problems, where I know others have had, even though in some cases those problems can be resolved quite easily/cheaply and often with the excellent service from Lunt too..

In fact, I have three scopes on the very reliable and able SKYWATCHER AZ-EQ6GT Alt-Az and EQ Go-To Mount - with three cameras plus all the cables etc., so a decent and capable mount is a better investment than having a pressure-tuning/modular system and more importantly, I very rarely have to adjust the focusing and Etalon-tuning of my systems in the observatory, unless a specific change is required - such as adding Barlows etc...

Ultimately as you can see from the specs of my own two scopes, getting the FeatherTouch focuser is a must for its' reliability and ease of using in fine-focusing. Also for the 60mm versions the minimum Blocking Filter should be the BF1200 for both visual and imaging purposes and that arrangement has well proven itself - when looking back over the archives of SolarChat.

So as you say about only using for Solar purposes, you have more or less answered your own question and I wish you well with your decisions.

Regards
Terry
EGRAY OBSERVATORY
S.E.England

Taipan
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Taipan »

And the small difference 0,7Å-0,65Å between the two models are nothing to worry about??

Taipan
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Taipan »

Oh, another question.. Is it possible to use the 50mm DS filter from my LS50 on the 60mm modell??

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

I can't vouch definitely for the A - differences, as if I want to, I double stack my Ha 60mm with a 60mm DS which obviously makes the contrast much- better for Solar-surface detail, albeit with the loss of prominence detail. Of course a 0.5A difference is very nice...

I generally for imaging prefer to leave the DS off, so make the best of the surface-detail by adjusting in the post-processing stage, as the DS's are quite heavy and can easily be dropped when removing/fitting, so my one has large rubber-bands around it to allow for a better-grip... (old age)...

Indeed, yes the LS-60mm Ha scope can use the 50mm DS unit, which of course can/will be ordered separately and I would recommend getting the scope first and decide on the additional DS acquisition - if desired. The 60 DS is of course much more expensive - so the decision is yours... !!!

CLEAR SKIES
Terry

Taipan
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Taipan »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:06 pm I can't vouch definitely for the A - differences, as if I want to, I double stack my Ha 60mm with a 60mm DS which obviously makes the contrast much- better for Solar-surface detail, albeit with the loss of prominence detail. Of course a 0.5A difference is very nice...

I generally for imaging prefer to leave the DS off, so make the best of the surface-detail by adjusting in the post-processing stage, as the DS's are quite heavy and can easily be dropped when removing/fitting, so my one has large rubber-bands around it to allow for a better-grip... (old age)...

Indeed, yes the LS-60mm Ha scope can use the 50mm DS unit, which of course can/will be ordered separately and I would recommend getting the scope first and decide on the additional DS acquisition - if desired. The 60 DS is of course much more expensive - so the decision is yours... !!!

CLEAR SKIES
Terry
Ok. I allredy have the LS50 with the DS-filter. Was thinking of sell my LS50 and keep the DS-filter if it will work with the LS 60. Then bye a LS60 with the 1200 blockfilter..
It's this filter i already have.
https://luntsolarsystems.com/shop/solar ... ck-filter/

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

That's excellent news and should save you much money tooooo...

Cheers
Terry

Taipan
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Taipan »

So, is there some kind of adaptor to fit the 50mm to the 60??

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Sorry for the delay in replying, as have just been on the telephone to Mauritius for the last three hours - OOOh AAAh !!

I believe that the 50mm DS you have will also fit the 60mm scope, but a confirmation from Lunt, where you should give the exact product-code of yours - will confirm that, as I already know that 50mm aperture DS have been/are being supplied for 60mm scopes. Just slightly reduced open-end aperture.

So talk to Lunt or a Lunt agent for confirmation.

Best wishes
Terry

Taipan
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Taipan »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:06 pm Sorry for the delay in replying, as have just been on the telephone to Mauritius for the last three hours - OOOh AAAh !!

I believe that the 50mm DS you have will also fit the 60mm scope, but a confirmation from Lunt, where you should give the exact product-code of yours - will confirm that, as I already know that 50mm aperture DS have been/are being supplied for 60mm scopes. Just slightly reduced open-end aperture.

So talk to Lunt or a Lunt agent for confirmation.

Best wishes
Terry
Ok. Then you almost fooled me:) Pretty sure the 50mm filter you are talking about isn't the same as for the LS50..
Guess i have to try selling the filter with the scope then..

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

I did say earlier, that if you decide to use a DS for the 60mm then order it separately (and later on) and if required that your existing DS does-not fit the new 60mm, then check this out then and talk to LUNT for any further advice of whether a 50mm aperture (not the fitting ring to the scope) will be you next option, but remember there is a considerable price-difference.

I'm down for two-hours from 1830BST/1730z

Cheers
Terry

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

You can get an adapter from Precise Parts...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!