Solar filter 0.3A

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
MAURITS
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Solar filter 0.3A

Post by MAURITS »

I'm doing some searching for 0.3A solar filters.
There are two major players in this domain, namely Solar Spectrum and Daystar.

Solar Spectrum Observer series 1.5 - 0.3A and Daystar Quantum SE GRADE 0.3A.
I have seen and read a lot of good results in connection with the Solar Spectrum, I can find less information about the Daystar Quantum SE.

The price for the Daystar Quantum SE is much higher in Belgium than the price for the Solar Spectrum Observer Series.

Does anyone here have experience with one or both filters as a sort of comparison...

Thanks for reading.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Solar filter 0.3A

Post by marktownley »

If you can get the solar spectrum Maurits then get it. You roll the 'quality control' dice with a Daystar whether it is a Quark or a Quantum.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Ask Rainer about the Daystar :)

However, you will be very lucky to get a Solar Spectrum, they are currently on indefinite back order :(

Alexandra

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Montana wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:51 pm Ask Rainer about the Daystar :)

However, you will be very lucky to get a Solar Spectrum, they are currently on indefinite back order :(

Alexandra
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Interesting about Solar Spectrum ...

I was not going to give my input here but after Alexandra mentioned me and the problem about availability of Solar Spectrum I could not resist myself.

As far as I know Solar Spectum filters are built in Europe ? and that for me would have been a logical reason to buy a Solar Spectrum. Why buy over the pond and risk all sort of problems unless there is a vendor in Europe who responds quickly and in a corect manner when there is a problem.

I also second Mark's comment.You can be lucky or you could ahve an adventure as I had ...

It is a lot of money ...

BTW 0.3Å is a very expensive solution as far as I know.

I paid for a 0.4 Å Daystar filter US $ 12,000.00. OK it was a PE verson and not SE version. SE versions from daystar cost half the PE units.

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Hi,

I wouldn't even consider a Daystar at this point or cost level. I'd only go for a Solar Spectrum in this category (rear mounted mica-spaced etalon).

Very best,

Ljungmann
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Ljungmann »

The 1.5 serie is a 25mm aperture filter and the Daystar Quantum is 32mm aperture. It is a cost factor too. The Quantum SE is the "same" as a SS Advanced Observer serie.
SolarSpectrum filters is made in California and by Mark Wagner who has worked with the founder of Daystar Del Woods. Del is the "father" of the modern rear solid etalon filters for amateurs. Del sold the company back in 2005.
I think SS filters in many ways are a good old University or ATM filter from Del with a very modern twist. The TEC oven works brilliant and keeps the filter on-band. You can see on the display (at startup) that it will go 1-2 degrees past the centerline temperature and then back to the centerline. it is the way it works and "calibrate" the precise temperature. And it is mandatory when you have a 0.3A filter. It has a hard coating blocking filter. It will last forever. And the red trimmer filter is much more narrow than the Quantum trimmers. It will do a better job to reduce the double limb effect. The SS filters are made to a higher uniformity than most SE filters. Bottom line, right now the very best solid etalon filters are from SolarSpectrum. My 0.3A filter works brilliant. I do own a 0.6A SE quantum filter with an old great Del Woods etalon. It is quite close to a PE filter and I think it is the way SS makes their AO series.

MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

Thanks all for the info.

Regards,
Maurits

www.vistadelcielo.be
Grakrob778
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Grakrob778 »

I don't know about indefinite back order. When I asked if he was covered up about 2 weeks ago, he didn't say either way. He had time to talk on the phone for 45 minutes though :D Hoping to receive mine real soon. It's killing me LOL. Good luck

Lunt 80Tha B1800, Lunt Ca2K B1200, Solar Spectrum RG18 0.3A, Skywatcher EvoStar 150, ASI 1600MM & 174MM
MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

Grakrob778 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:06 pm I don't know about indefinite back order. When I asked if he was covered up about 2 weeks ago, he didn't say either way. He had time to talk on the phone for 45 minutes though :D Hoping to receive mine real soon. It's killing me LOL. Good luck
Lucky you 🤣🙂

Regards,
Maurits

www.vistadelcielo.be
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Grakrob778 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:06 pm He had time to talk on the phone for 45 minutes though :D
... perhaps that is why the delivery takes ages ... ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Rusted

Post by Rusted »

rsfoto wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:57 pm
Grakrob778 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:06 pm He had time to talk on the phone for 45 minutes though :D
... perhaps that is why the delivery takes ages ... ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It is fascinating to observe those who have absolutely no idea how to end a conversation.
Worse are those who should be dealing with living customers waiting patiently in their showrooms.
But prefer to talk endlessly to strangers on the telephone as if these were real customers. :roll:

That said, etalons are slow polished. Presumably the automatic polishing machines can run for ages unattended.

http://fullerscopes.blogspot.dk/

H-alpha: Baader 160mm D-ERF, iStar 150/10 H-alpha objective, 2" Baader 35nm H-a, 2" Beloptik KG3,
Lunt 60MT etalon, Lunt B1200S2 BF, Assorted T-S GPCs or 2x "Shorty" Barlow, ZWO ASI174.
mdwmark
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by mdwmark »

WOW
I think I should be insulated , but why bother from someone who doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.
Talking to Gram for 45 minutes was great. He is working with advance technology that I can only read about.
So, Ya it was well worth it.

Making Mica etalons commericaly goes back to Spectrolab. Del was hired to run a coating machine there by Doug Martin. After that he went with Carson Industries to do the same thing. After Carson went bankrupt is when Del started Daystar in his garage before moving to Pomona (That is where I meet him in 1976). Then to Chino to a bigger shop. The first paper written about making mica etalon came out in 1959. So he is far from being the first person to make mica etalons commercially.

A mica etalon is cleaved not polished. Making them narrow is not a problem. Making them uniform with a good transmission is the hard part. To get to the .3A range. This is where the uniformity and good transmission becomes a the major factor.
When making an mica etalon you are relying on nature. You can cleave for hours and not find one piece that you can use. Then out of one block you may find 2 or 3 good areas worth trying. You coat both side and if the peak is at the correct wavelength good. Now you check for uniformity with a spectrometer. At this point they either go into the trash or get assembled.
Now the final test is to look through at the sun. This where you will see the internal crystal affects the uniformity. It could have look fine on the spectrometer but not when you used it. So if it has crystals problem that make it look non uniform, it goes into the trash. Then you start all over again. I don't know how you can judge an etalon without really looking through it.
As for the .3ASO or .3 RG32, there was a technical problem. So instead of sending them out and may have them come back. I just didn't send any out till it was solved. So these will be back later this year.

One important thing most amateurs miss about narrow etalons. The narrower the etalon the faster it broadens out with F#.So an .3Ang filter will never be .3A in a F/30 beam. If you are going to work at F/30 you are better off getting an .5Ang. It you want to use an F/20 , then get an 1Ang filter because the .3 or .5 or even a .7Ang will have about the same Hw.
So I guess I also type to much also. I could have been checking etalons, but Oh wait it is night so I couldn't check them anyways.
Mark W.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks Mark for the explanation, all I can say is that using my 0.3A SS last month for the first time, was the most joyful moment of my life for a very long time in solar observing. A fantastic instrument! it is a pity everyone can't have one.

Alexandra

Ljungmann
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Ljungmann »

I do remember way back 30 years ago when Copenhagen Astronomical Society did order a 0.5A University filter from Del. It took nearly 3 years to get it. I had the pleasure to test it. So much fun to do that. What a great filter! Still in use today. For many years it was used around in Copenhagen in "Street Astronomy" and I think we had more than 50,000 people looking at the Sun for the first time.
Later I bought an ATM filter from Del. It has been used for many hours visually and I always thinking about what Del wrote to me. Making etalons is an art.
When you say: Making an etalon you are relying on nature. I really like that statement! To be a etalon master it must be art and nature!

christian viladrich

Post by christian viladrich »

A big thanks to Mark W for sharing his knowledge and experience with us !

Christian Viladrich
Co-author of "Planetary Astronomy"
http://planetary-astronomy.com/
Editor of "Solar Astronomy"
http://www.astronomiesolaire.com/
Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

Ditto - I have always enjoyed speaking with Mark for as long as he will let me, and his knowledge and experience is second to none. Back in the 1990's Mark replaced the blockers on my original 1976 Del Woods DayStar 0.7A ATM (I also met Del in person when he was making this filter in Pomona - wonderful guy to talk with as well!), and I greatly regret the day I sold it.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

mdwmark wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:33 am One important thing most amateurs miss about narrow etalons. The narrower the etalon the faster it broadens out with F#.So an .3Ang filter will never be .3A in a F/30 beam. If you are going to work at F/30 you are better off getting an .5Ang. It you want to use an F/20 , then get an 1Ang filter because the .3 or .5 or even a .7Ang will have about the same Hw.
Very insightful, thanks Mark.

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
hopskipson
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by hopskipson »

I ordered my SS RG-18 0.3 at the end of January and received the shipment in the beginning of April. (Thanks, Mark and Bob at Alpine Astro) I was warned of a 12 week lead time so I was prepared. All I can say is that it was worth the wait. My seeing is not the greatest and I use it on my C-6 masked to either 120 or 105 mm so I'm at F/40 to 50. The contrast is off the charts. The double limb is suppressed single stacked and I'm experimenting with double stacking with an SMII 90mm etalon on a 100mm F/7 scope. That visually is just amazing. The dynamic range of dark filaments and bright plage was something to behold. I'm by no means an expert imager but I've attached some images to show the potential.
Single Stacked:
2021-06-20-1533_6-U-L-Sun_161791_lapl4_ap2081ImPPGps.jpg
2021-06-20-1533_6-U-L-Sun_161791_lapl4_ap2081ImPPGps.jpg (267.51 KiB) Viewed 4395 times
2021-06-20-1626_8-U-L-Sun_122666_lapl4_ap1885ImPPGps.jpg
2021-06-20-1626_8-U-L-Sun_122666_lapl4_ap1885ImPPGps.jpg (211.31 KiB) Viewed 4395 times
Double Stacked:
2021-08-30-2145_9-U-L-Sun_1247162_lapl4_ap1158IMPPGps.jpg
2021-08-30-2145_9-U-L-Sun_1247162_lapl4_ap1158IMPPGps.jpg (94.6 KiB) Viewed 4395 times
2021-08-30-2146_7-U-L-Sun_187257_lapl4_ap3623IMPPGps.jpg
2021-08-30-2146_7-U-L-Sun_187257_lapl4_ap3623IMPPGps.jpg (218.53 KiB) Viewed 4395 times

James
These pretzels are making me thirsty! (C.C.)
The Quark introduced me to this wonderful side of the hobby and the sun hasn’t disappointed yet.
Solar Equipment: Solar Spectrum RG-18 0.3A, Coronado Solarmax 90mm etalon Isle of Man SN-001, Tuscon SN-380 and Meade SM2, Lunt LS80 DS, Quark Chromosphere, Lunt 2" wedge, 2-Lunt CaK II 1200, Baader 3.8 and 5.0 solar film in 208mm cells, and 3D printed Sol'Ex SHG, Lunt 40mm
Coming Soon: Solar Spectrum CaK II <1A filter
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Great images! A SS is on my wish list too...

MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

What a wonderful solar filter, I will order one in a couple of weeks after I figured out all the other parts to let it work the best way.
I wiĺ order the SS RG32 0.3A as soon as I can ...

Thanks Mark for the explanation of the first hand.
Thanks James for the beautiful images as a nice present.

Regards,
Maurits

www.vistadelcielo.be
curious
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by curious »

One important thing most amateurs miss about narrow etalons. The narrower the etalon the faster it broadens out with F#.So an .3Ang filter will never be .3A in a F/30 beam. If you are going to work at F/30 you are better off getting an .5Ang. It you want to use an F/20 , then get an 1Ang filter because the .3 or .5 or even a .7Ang will have about the same Hw.
I am new to this H-alpha thing. I am not quite sure what he mean. Is there anybody can help me to understand?

Thank you in advance. :bow :bow2

MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

curious wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:03 am
I am new to this H-alpha thing. I am not quite sure what he mean. Is there anybody can help me to understand?

I'm curious too.

Regards,
Maurits

www.vistadelcielo.be
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

MAURITS wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:04 pm

I'm curious too.
To use the narrowest bandpass etalons (0.2 / 0.3a) they need to be used in very long focal ratios (f40/f50) to keep their designated bandpass, if you use them in shorter focal ratios (f30 and below) the bandpass broadens out to be a lot wider than the specified bandpass of the filter.

Broader bandpass etalons (0.5a 0.7a) are less susceptible to bandpass broadening when used at shorter (f30 and less) focal ratios.

If you had a 1a bandpass filter and used it at f20 then you will get ~1a bandpass. If you use a 0.3a filter at f20 you will get ~1a bandpass.

A 0.3a filter is only 0.3a at f50ish, but is also considerably a lot more expensive than a broader filter. A broader bandpass filter will be very close to it's specified bandpass at f30 compared to the a narrower bandpass filter.

It's about balancing costs and performance expectations.

MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

Thanks Mark for the very clear explanation.

Regards,
Maurits

www.vistadelcielo.be
curious
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by curious »

Thank you very much Mark. :hamster: :hamster: :hamster:

AJamesB
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by AJamesB »

mdwmark wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:33 am
As for the .3ASO or .3 RG32, there was a technical problem. So instead of sending them out and may have them come back. I just didn't send any out till it was solved. So these will be back later this year.
I have a 0.3ASO on order from ya, and I'd rather wait a few extra months for something that meets your expectations rather than have you rush something out the door that you wouldn't be happy with, so take your time!

Quick question though, do you have by chance any samples of the typical expected uniformity between the ASO and RG units? The RG example posted above looks perfectly and enviously even, but I'm not sure what to expect with the ASO. Are we talking quark chromosphere levels of evenness, etc for the ASO? I'm having last minute fears of wondering if I should have instead sprung for the RG, even if more expensive up front, but without seeing examples or hearing from you a description I don't know what to think, lol!

Or, if anyone with an ASO that has some example images, pre-processing, and wouldn't mind sharing them, that would be great too!

Lunt ls100tha single stacked + hinode solar guider on ioptron cem26 mount
asi178mm
asi294mm
2x, 3x, and 4x telecentrics
0.6x and 0.4x telecompressors
Ljungmann
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Ljungmann »

I think Mark somewhere on this Forum did text about how he test the filters and the different spec. My own small ASO1 0.3A filter are in another Galaxy when you benchmark the filter against a better than average Quark. I sold a good Quark I just bought for fun to a observer who really like the views in the Quark. It is a good one - but the SS filter are just so much better. I do have a Quantum SE 0.6 filter too (Del Woods etalon) and I think it is pretty close to the full size ASO filters.
Dont worry…

Arrakis97
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Arrakis97 »

Hello to all
I inquired with Unitron Italia, importer of Baader Planetarium products, regarding the availability of Solar Spectrum 1.25 'filters.
It seems that the products will be available starting from Spring 2022 but with a significant price increase (from +50 to + 100%) in order to adjust them to the price of the corresponding Daystar filters; therefore a filter like the 1.25 0.5 Angstrom which cost 4250 euros could reach a cost of around 7000 - 8000 euros. I imagine it will be important to make a price / quality assessment of Solar Spectrum and Daystar products.
Carlo

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Yes, they are not available in Europe, I was given an indefinite wait list time. Interesting to hear there is now a date for European customers. However, I find it unusual that they have to adjust their prices to match Daystar? Don't they make it and sell it as to what it costs + profit, surely Daystar don't have a say in how much they should sell it for. An increase of double is quite an inflation. Pity, as their quality is outstanding and everyone should be able to own one.

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

:(

mdwmark
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by mdwmark »

Arrakis97 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:26 pm Hello to all
I inquired with Unitron Italia, importer of Baader Planetarium products, regarding the availability of Solar Spectrum 1.25 'filters.
It seems that the products will be available starting from Spring 2022 but with a significant price increase (from +50 to + 100%) in order to adjust them to the price of the corresponding Daystar filters; therefore a filter like the 1.25 0.5 Angstrom which cost 4250 euros could reach a cost of around 7000 - 8000 euros. I imagine it will be important to make a price / quality assessment of Solar Spectrum and Daystar products.
Carlo
That's the first that I have heard of this price increase. There is going to be an increase, but that is to offset the price of what parts cost me. I don't know how Daystar figulars there pricing but they are much different compared to when I ran Daystar. To compare, my pricing has not changed much in the last 10 years.
Mark W.
Solar Spectrum

Arrakis97
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Arrakis97 »

mdwmark wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:19 pm
Arrakis97 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:26 pm Hello to all
Carlo
That's the first that I have heard of this price increase. There is going to be an increase, but that is to offset the price of what parts cost me. I don't know how Daystar figulars there pricing but they are much different compared to when I ran Daystar. To compare, my pricing has not changed much in the last 10 years.
Mark W.
Solar Spectrum
Thank you for your explanation; Could you please give a cost and time prediction for solar-spectrum-observer-series-1,5 - 0,5 Angstrom model availability?
Thanks

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Reading above I get the idea of the Del Woods run Daystar being better than its current incarnation ran by ICSTARS. Just like David Lunt's Coronado Tucson Vs. Meade Coronado. Why is the original companies better?

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

I'm curious too.

Im taking the liberty to refer to these images found on http://www.astrosurf.com/viladrich/astr ... lar/FP.htm that should explain the correlation in one image. I think this is the work of Christian Viladrich.
Attachments
1.PNG
1.PNG (221.62 KiB) Viewed 1699 times

Triband C9.25
H-a: Quark Chromosphere with BF mod
WL: Antlia 500nm/ 3nm, 393 nm/ 3nm
Ca-K: homebrew (includes 2x 1.5A filters, thanks Apollo)
Player One Apollo Max + Mars MII
Barlows:
-2x Gerd Düring 2.7x
-2x TMB 1.8x
hopskipson
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by hopskipson »

I just got my SS RG-18 0.3A back from Mark this week. I wish he would communicate more with me! I sent it back in October and it just would have been nice to get updates every 2-3 weeks without having to send another email or 3. But all is good now, I forgot how good the view was. Mark is having trouble finding materials and he’s in need of a pump repair for the coating machine. Like every small business the small problems create big headaches.

I’m now waiting for a calcium filter. I think it’s close to completion 🤞

James
The Quark introduced me to this wonderful side of the hobby and the sun hasn’t disappointed yet.
Solar Equipment: Solar Spectrum RG-18 0.3A, Coronado Solarmax 90mm etalon Isle of Man SN-001, Tuscon SN-380 and Meade SM2, Lunt LS80 DS, Quark Chromosphere, Lunt 2" wedge, 2-Lunt CaK II 1200, Baader 3.8 and 5.0 solar film in 208mm cells, and 3D printed Sol'Ex SHG, Lunt 40mm
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Dennis wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:48 am

I'm curious too.

Im taking the liberty to refer to these images found on http://www.astrosurf.com/viladrich/astr ... lar/FP.htm that should explain the correlation in one image. I think this is the work of Christian Viladrich.
Hi Maurits,

Why do you not venture into a SpectroHeliograph ? 10 times cheaper and lots of fun printing, assembling and learning how to use it? Those SE / PE and whatever called etalons are prohibitively expenseve unless you won the Lottery.

You live in Belgium and it is easy for you to source all kind of materials for a SpectroHelioGraph. Just look at the Quality thesmiths aka Douglas is achieving.

My actual SHG has a resolution of 0.063Å/pixel using a 2400lines/mm grating and a 420mm focal length.

If I managed to get it going already 3/4 of the way you will also manage it.

Grüße Rainer
Last edited by rsfoto on Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Is this your SHG image, Rainer? It’s very good 👍🏻

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
hopskipson
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by hopskipson »

rsfoto wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:34 pm
Dennis wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:48 am

I'm curious too.

Hi Maurits,

Why do you not venture into a SpectroHeliograph ? 10 times cheaper and lots of fun printing, assembling and learning how to use it? Those SE / PE and whatever called etalons are prohibitively expenseve unless you won the Lottery.

You live in Belgium and it is easy for you to source all kind of materials for a SpectroHelioGraph. Jut look at the Quality thesmiths aka Douglas is achieving.

My actual SHG has a resolution of 0.063Å/pixel using a 2400lines/mm grating and a 420mm focal length.

If I managed to get it going already 3/4 of the way you will also manage it.

Grüße Rainer
I have a Sol’Ex and enjoy using it, but it’s an imaging only device. I can’t see the image in the device. I really like to see the sun in real time. The Solar Spectrum is the epitome of mica etalons at least the one I own. I’ve looked through a few quarks and they don’t compare. I’ve looked through some quantum pe’s and they are pretty good but still not as good as the SS I own. I’m no expert this is just my opinion but in this narrow area of amateur astronomy with few manufacturers you really can’t find a better deal for a quality mica etalon.
BTW this is an old thread and I think Maurits decided to get the SS RG etalon.

James
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

hopskipson wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:29 pm I’m now waiting for a calcium filter. I think it’s close to completion 🤞
Any updates?

hopskipson
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by hopskipson »

marktownley wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:43 pm
hopskipson wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:29 pm I’m now waiting for a calcium filter. I think it’s close to completion 🤞
Any updates?
About a week ago, according to Mark, my unit is ready for testing. Of course the weather in California has not cooperated. Mark has updated his website for the new year and included information on narrow band filters, calcium k line filters and reduced pricing on Suna models.

James