Lunt 100MT DS vs. Lunt 130MT DS

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
pdmphoton
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Lunt 100MT DS vs. Lunt 130MT DS

Post by pdmphoton »

Hello Solar Astronomers,

OK, let's start by taking money out of this ridiculously expensive equation.
Given the opportunity to own either the new Lunt 100 Double Stacked or the new Lunt 130 Double Stacked, imaging as the foremost interest, with slightly above average seeing conditions, would you go for the 130 and just use an aperture mask on less than stellar days or pick the 100?

I have mounts that could support either and am not particularly concerned about portability.
Also considering that the Quark Chromosphere could be used to double stack and provide "high resolution" views on either scope.

Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions.

Paulm

Lunt LS80Tha DS
APM 140 Doublet
Skywatcher 180mm Mak
Celestron C11 XLT -Hyperstar V3
Quark Chromosphere
ZWO 174 and 183 Mono
iOptron CEM120
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Lunt 100MT DS vs. Lunt 130MT DS

Post by marktownley »

Hi Paul.

Welcome to the forum.

I think you've probably answered your own question tbh! My only question is what is 'slightly above average seeing'? What values in arc seconds are you getting?

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Hello Paul,
Exactly the same Q&A's as Mark has just said.

Taking a look at the numerous post from others who have owned either of these - over the last ten years or so, will probably answer you questions...

Terry

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Paul...

Do you have any interest in the ability to use the scopes for night use as well? The new line offers this option where if you buy a dedicated Ha scope that you can use it for.

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
pdmphoton
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by pdmphoton »

Mark, Bryan, Terry,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I enjoy reading your posts.
I have an Airylab SSM on order which no doubt will aid in providing more accurate seeing data.
Yes, I do intend to occasionally use the scope for night time viewing. I currently have an APM 140 Doublet and a Lunt LS80mm DS. I am thinking that the new modular Lunt 130mm would be a great move.

No doubt, seeing conditions rule. I will be relocating when I retire early next year. Seems like the Airylab SSM may very well determine where that will be. LOL

Lunt LS80Tha DS
APM 140 Doublet
Skywatcher 180mm Mak
Celestron C11 XLT -Hyperstar V3
Quark Chromosphere
ZWO 174 and 183 Mono
iOptron CEM120
SimonM
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by SimonM »

pdmphoton wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:56 am Given the opportunity to own either the new Lunt 100 Double Stacked or the new Lunt 130 Double Stacked, imaging as the foremost interest, with slightly above average seeing conditions, would you go for the 130 and just use an aperture mask on less than stellar days or pick the 100?
Without hesitation, I would have opted for the Lunt 130. I would also have considered a wider choice of Lunt scopes before narrowing and finally concluding that the right scope is the 130. The new modular scopes are truly exceptional (I do own one of the smaller modular scopes) and there is no reason not to pick the best you can buy within this range. You answered your own questions, if the seeing conditions were not stellar, you could use an aperture mask. For imaging you also have the option to reject additional "bad" frames before stacking.
pdmphoton wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:13 pm Yes, I do intend to occasionally use the scope for nighttime viewing. I currently have an APM 140 Doublet and a Lunt LS80mm DS. I am thinking that the new modular Lunt 130mm would be a great move. No doubt, seeing conditions rule.
I would not have based any decision solely on the ability to also use the scope for nighttime viewing. My own scope can be converted to nighttime use and to adapt it for white light using a Herschel Wedge. NB the scope comes with the internal etalon held in place with six grub screws and there is a packet of thumbscrews and an Allen key (for "conversion"). I have used the modularity, to use the scope without the internal etalon, using an external SS etalon. I haven't so far converted it for white light and also not for nighttime use. I also have a 100mm APO and I suspect differences of using the same Herschel Wedge on different aperture scopes would become readily apparent.

The conversion can be done, but I think it is better to swap "scopes" rather than swap "components" and it's not something I would want to do regularly and outside. I don't feel the thumb screws are quite as secure as the grub screws and I wouldn't want to have an incident where they rotated (or worse) and I had to quickly decide which components to hold! The grub screws have a "tapered" end and the thumb screws have a "flat" end. Maybe, with tapered thumb screws, I might feel differently.

I noticed, that the modular scopes are offered in multi-scenario packages, except that a finder scope is not one of the accessories provided for nighttime use. For safety, a finder needs to be capped and ideally removed from a scope before Solar use. So it may something Lunt are reluctant to include, as the primary use - marketing aside, is for Solar?

Simon

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Perhaps your question should have been about a comparison with your APM 140 Doublet and the LS130Modilar version - as for both night-viewing/imaging.
If there is anybody who has both of those, they could tell if a smaller aperture as LS130 is an improvement over your 140 ???

At least only the scope change-over on a mount might be an issue...

Terry