quark cleaning

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
mami813
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

quark cleaning

Post by mami813 »

Hi?

There are many stain marks on the inside of the quark.

Can I clean the lens by loosening the outer screw?

It can be handled very carefully.

I have a dustproof facility in my university lab.

I will only clean the inside of the outermost red lens.
Anything to watch out for?
Daystar tells you not to do it.
Attachments
다운로드.jpg
다운로드.jpg (401.77 KiB) Viewed 1403 times

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: quark cleaning

Post by marktownley »

Never done it. I would be wary about undoing those allen bolts, I believe they hold the elements of the etalon together under compression.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Logically, if Daystar say "not to do it" then there must be a reason, which Mark has suggested a reason.

I would suggest that if those few marks do not affect the seeing, then leave well alone.

Alternatively, you could ask Daystar for their advice and send the picture to them too..

Terry

Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

Hi,
Unless you know how to reassemble the Quark and know how to ensure the correct separation, contact and alignment of the various parts, I would not do it. Maybe you can practise on an old broken Quark Chromosphere first ?
I would ask Daystar. They provide a useful service function and cleaning, but its not cheap.

How long have you had the Quark ? I thought it was a sealed unit so dust cannot get in.

Thanks.
Magnus

Solar: H-alpha": Quark Chromosphere filter; Baader white light filters
Scopes: Altair Astro Travel ED70mm (F 420mm, D=70mm);; Skywatcher 90mm (F 910mm D=90mm); GSO focuser;;Altair Astro 60mm guidescope (D=60mm,F=225mm)
Cameras: ASI120mm-S,ASI174mm
Mount: SW HEQ5 Pro, SW EQ3 Pro Synscan (SW = Skywatcher),Vixen Polarie tracker (portable setup)
Accessory: SW Auto-focuser
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Exactly as Magnus has also recommended, albeit surprised if you even have another Quark to practice on !!

Keeping both dust and anything-else out of all optics is a must, when changing/removing any item, which is why "Dust Caps" are provided or available to get.

Terry

mami813
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by mami813 »

marktownley wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:12 pm Never done it. I would be wary about undoing those allen bolts, I believe they hold the elements of the etalon together under compression.
It's a concern.
Thank you for your answer.

mami813
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by mami813 »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:40 pm Logically, if Daystar say "not to do it" then there must be a reason, which Mark has suggested a reason.

I would suggest that if those few marks do not affect the seeing, then leave well alone.

Alternatively, you could ask Daystar for their advice and send the picture to them too..

Terry
Daystar just tells me not to do it unconditionally.
They don't explain why.

mami813
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by mami813 »

Boso36 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:43 am Hi,
Unless you know how to reassemble the Quark and know how to ensure the correct separation, contact and alignment of the various parts, I would not do it. Maybe you can practise on an old broken Quark Chromosphere first ?
I would ask Daystar. They provide a useful service function and cleaning, but its not cheap.

How long have you had the Quark ? I thought it was a sealed unit so dust cannot get in.

Thanks.
Magnus
Broken quarks are not retained.
I opened Quantum a long time ago.
All the lenses inside were held together fairly tightly as one part.

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

"Broken quarks are not retained.
All the lenses inside were held together fairly tightly as one part."

The 1st line doesn't make sense ??
Does the 2nd line mean you have already opened the Quark ??

The complex method of re-aligning the internals is why DayStar will not get into conversations about those methods - as normally not necessary. or possible by the user..

it doesn't surprise me whatever technique DayStar use to align the lenses, but if you have already opened it, then no warranty will be available regardless of the time you have had it.
Also it is possible that by opening it you may have allowed something to get inside it.

The need to ALWAYS use the correct caps to cover the open-ends and to be stored in a good environment is absolutely a must for long-term use...

So I now recommend that in the first instance, you post an image of the Sun taken through it, so we can make a further comment(s) and advice.

Terry

mami813
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by mami813 »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:38 pm "Broken quarks are not retained.
All the lenses inside were held together fairly tightly as one part."

The 1st line doesn't make sense ??
Does the 2nd line mean you have already opened the Quark ??

The complex method of re-aligning the internals is why DayStar will not get into conversations about those methods - as normally not necessary. or possible by the user..

it doesn't surprise me whatever technique DayStar use to align the lenses, but if you have already opened it, then no warranty will be available regardless of the time you have had it.
Also it is possible that by opening it you may have allowed something to get inside it.

The need to ALWAYS use the correct caps to cover the open-ends and to be stored in a good environment is absolutely a must for long-term use...

So I now recommend that in the first instance, you post an image of the Sun taken through it, so we can make a further comment(s) and advice.

Terry
no. I don't open quarks.
I opened a broken Quantum a long time ago.
PST also tells me not to open it in Coronado, but it seems like there is no problem
I was wondering if it would be okay to open the quark, so I asked.