Hardware question

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
ffellah
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Hardware question

Post by ffellah »

Hello all (and Mark T): I am trying to figure out how to fit the Airylab telecentric to the AR152 refractor. Any suggestions on how to do it ?

Thank you,

Franco
Attachments
IMG_6281.jpg
IMG_6281.jpg (772.8 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
IMG_6282.jpg
IMG_6282.jpg (619.38 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
IMG_6283.jpg
IMG_6283.jpg (761.53 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
IMG_6284.jpg
IMG_6284.jpg (525.99 KiB) Viewed 1023 times

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Hardware question

Post by marktownley »

Hiya Franco.

You need a 2" to SCT adapter, something like this at the front of the telecentric https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapte ... hread.html

Then an EP holder (or screw thread connection if you prefer) at the rear of it for the filter \ camera to go into https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapte ... -back.html

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

Hi Franco,

I'm a little curious as to why you are doing this?

You likely won't be getting a truly telecentric output from a telecentric lens system designed/optimized for a Celestron Edge with a 2000 mm EFL @ f10, and which results in an EFR of only f17.5, for a Solar Spectrum filter system that needs at least f30 or greater to get close to the specified FWHM.

A Baader TZ4 (which would likely be a better choice with regard to actual telecentricity) would get you to f26 - not ideal, but better than f17.5.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
ffellah

Post by ffellah »

Thank you very much Mark for your advice and thank you Bob for your comments. Mark is helping me put together a high resolution Quark CaH system. I quote Mark T's advice:

Your next one to try when conditions allow, stop the scope down to f10, and then run the Airylab 2.7x telecentric behind the scope and ahead of the Quark, this will give you a high res CAK system then. The 152 will still be Ok-ish at f10 in CaK. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the results, the Airylab is optically excellent deep in the blue...

Bob: I am very interested to try this, when I get the adapter and the conditions allow. I forgot to tell you that I already have the Airylab telecentric, like Mark T, that came standard with the HaT 203mm scope we both have.

Franco

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Hi Bob and Franco.

Stopping the 152 down to (90mm?) give it a f10 light cone into the Airylab telecentric will work very well in the blue. I just use the camera that works with the seeing then, 174 chip if seeing is poor, 290 chip if the seeing is good. Stopping down also reduces SA with the large aperture of the 152.

On the snout of the airtylab I also have a series of extension rings that allow a tube to sit higher up the focuser, then I have my uv/ir filter for an ERF. My filter sits on the eyepiece side of the airylab. You can find pictures on my website https://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.com/ ... irylab+cak

Give it a go! :)

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

Duplicate post to below.
Last edited by Bob Yoesle on Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

Now it all makes sense!

Thanks for the clarifications, and the results look spectacular Mark! ;-)

Looking forward to putting together a 3.2 mm re-spaced CaK-optimized C6R 150 mm f/8 stopped down to 120 mm for f/10 for my CaK higher res work. I'll just have to see if my local seeing allows this to be practical. I don't have the AiryLab telecentric, but I do have the Baader TZ3 which is supposed to be suitable for CaK as well.

Right now (and for a few more months) it's a moot issue...

New Year's forecast.jpg
New Year's forecast.jpg (94.49 KiB) Viewed 941 times
Dec 2021 snow.jpg
Dec 2021 snow.jpg (94.37 KiB) Viewed 941 times

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory