Is this Eclipse Viewer still safe?

Post anything eclipse related!
Pdda
The Sun?
The Sun?

Is this Eclipse Viewer still safe?

Post by Pdda »

Hi, I'm wondering if the Solar Eclipse viewer I have is safe. I bought it at the Griffith Observatory in 1992 and never even opened it. Could the 25 years it's spent sandwiched between books in my bookshelf have caused any deterioration to the filter?
I'm attaching a couple of pictures of the viewer. As I said, it's still sealed in the original plastic package.
Eclipse Viewer_0001.jpg
Eclipse Viewer_0001.jpg (324.85 KiB) Viewed 3250 times
Eclipse Viewer_0002.jpg
Eclipse Viewer_0002.jpg (169.88 KiB) Viewed 3250 times

M4rc
The Sun?
The Sun?

Re: Is this Eclipse Viewer still safe?

Post by M4rc »

I doubt that anyone will go out on a limb and state that this filter is safe. Look at the filter carefully. Any signs of scratches, punctures or discolouration and I would conclude that the filter is not safe. Look at a bright light bulb with it, if you see any light getting through the filter, the filter is not safe.

If it passes these tests, then the plastic probably did not deteriorate, but even then, I would not risk my eyesight on this. Even if it dims the visible light from the sun, you have the UV and IR to worry about as well. You can't be certain that it is safe.

At this point, instead of looking through this filter, I would prepare to make a pinhole projected image of the eclipse. Or alternatively, I would trust the film enough to put in front of a camera ( focus using the camera's screen, not the viewfinder).

Lunt LS60THa with Pointgrey Chameleon3.
Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Is this Eclipse Viewer still safe?

Post by Merlin66 »

Attitudes and standards of visual safety have recently been changed.
Only the ISO certified glasses are now recommended.

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer