LuSol Guiding software

The place for all your solar software; capture, stacking, post processing, ancillaries etc. It's all up for discussion here!
Martin_S
Way More Fun to Share It!!

LuSol Guiding software

Post by Martin_S »

Hi everyone, has anybody had any success with LuSol Guiding software.I tried the trial version using Pulse guiding through my Synscan app and WiFi
module. Everything connects ok , calibration works, the only thing is when I start guiding my HEQ5 pro mount does not guide, the synscan app is sending commands to the mount but they are not correcting any drift.

I'm hoping to do animations and time lapse exposures so any comments would be most welcome.

Martin

H alpha : ,Skywatcher 120mm F8 open frame refractor, a tilted 2" 7nm H-alpha filter as a sub energy rejection filter, Baader TZ4 telecentric focal extender, Player One energy rejection filter, Combo Quark Chromosphere, Naked PST etalon for double stacking, ASI74mm camera
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: LuSol Guiding software

Post by PDB »

Hello Martin,

downloaded the trial version to give it a try, but will have to wait for the weather to improve. So I tested against the synscan app in emulator mode and could see RA & DEC figures change when applying the manual guide corrections. So in theory it should work, but need to connect to a real mount to see if it really works. (Don't use the wifi, but cable connected to the usb port of my AZ-EQ5, which does the same as an EQDIR cable, or a wifi connection)

Some thought however (need to check in practice). It seems difficult to line up main scope and guider if you are interested in detail views. The guide will follow the Sun, so if you move the main scope (eq mosaic) I suppose the guider will put everything back to previous possition. So that might be contra-productive. Think in these cases guiding module in FireCapture or Genika will do a better job since guiding is on the "real" image. Unfortunatelly these need good contrast in the image (and visible features) which you don't see often these days.

Regards,

Paul

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Martin,

I was able to do some real test today. Connected Lusol to the synscan app and the zwo cam, did calibration and then did guided and unguided test. (had to change the track rate to Lunar instead of Solar to force guiding errors more quickly). Lusol and Synscan app seemed to work just fine, and the sun did not move on the sensor. (Worked better that I expected, you can place the Sun anywhere in the FOV. So with a large sensor, no problem for detail with the main scope)

What version of the app (and the synscan mobile ascom driver) are you using? I tested wit app Pro 1.17.3 but with cable connection instead of wifi and ascom sysnscan 1.2.3.0

Rgrds,

Paul

Martin_S

Post by Martin_S »

Thank you Paul, I have updated my SynScan pro app to 1.17.3, my ascom sysnscan driver is 1.2.3.0 . I will give it a try using Lunar tracking.

What cable connection configuration are you using? I get a lot of wireless interference where I live so cable connections may be a better option.

Martin

H alpha : ,Skywatcher 120mm F8 open frame refractor, a tilted 2" 7nm H-alpha filter as a sub energy rejection filter, Baader TZ4 telecentric focal extender, Player One energy rejection filter, Combo Quark Chromosphere, Naked PST etalon for double stacking, ASI74mm camera
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Martin,

I have the AZ_EQ5, that one is equipped with an USB port (with built-in FTDI chip) so I use a standard USB cable. (Type A -> B)
An EQDIR cable connected to the port on the mount (where I suppose you now connect the WIFI) should also work. (But you need an EQDIR cable, a normal serial cable and USB2SERIAL does not work. Has someting to do with connections and voltage levels see schema http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/eqdirect2.htm)

But you need to make sure you get one with the correct connector for the mount. (Skywatcher is not very consistent in using the same connectors on all mounts)

Paul

banjo

Post by banjo »

Hello,
I tested this software 4 or 5 years ago, it works well if the focal guide = imager, in my case I had worse results with guide 480mm vs 4000mm focal length imager, the normal ratio X8.
I now use the Firecapture autoguide, although it's not always at best, I can do animations over several hours if the wind and cloud conditions does not disturb the session.
Paul

it is difficult in Ha for software to guide (Firecapture or Genica) because it moves all the time on the surface and on the limb.

sorry for my English translators google :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

bresser/messier 150/1200 (or 200/1800 Istar ) Mod -D-Erf 160mm intern-glasspath 1.25-etalon Pst barlow X2 ASI174
https://astropol.pagesperso-orange.fr/b ... 9/best2019
sorry for my English translators google :mrgreen:
Martin_S

Post by Martin_S »

Thanks Paul and Banjo, I haven't been able to do any more testing due to terrible smoke haze from bushfires, I'll keep you posted.

Martin

Martin_S

Post by Martin_S »

I had another go using WiFi as the cable I ordered has not arrived yet. LuSol is making corrections but not enough to stabilize my Image.

Here is a screenshot of my results. My Guide scope has a focal length of 240mm (F/4).
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (68.19 KiB) Viewed 5933 times
Martin

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Martin,

if the Sun is moving in the LuSol guider window, then you probably need to adjust LuSol settings (Agressivity or min move).
If the Sun drifts in the main scope and not in the guider then it is probably differentiel drift (or flexure in the guide scope). That happens to me me when guiding with a similar guide scope on my C8/reducer during DSO guiding with PHD2. ~2 pixels / 120 seconds on my system.

Paul

Martin_S

Post by Martin_S »

Thanks Paul, my USB to serial cable arrived today so next time I will try adjusting the settings you suggested without a WIFI conection.

Martin

SusanStellar
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by SusanStellar »

Hello... Does anyone know if the LuSol Guide software is still available for purchase and download? I have been unable to find a working web link for down loading the software. Your feedback is appreciated.