NEOWISE C/2020 F3 - mY less than poor image - so far. !

Lets brighten up peoples live with all those lovely pictures of the world around us!

Moderator: Montana

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

NEOWISE C/2020 F3 - mY less than poor image - so far. !

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Well, as the Comet is now a late-evening sight from S.E.England, I was able to get a quick capture from the outside of my observatory before Neowise decided to take a quick dive into a neighbouring tree. Also Neowise remains above our horizon in S.E.England now, so that's good.

I didn't get enough-time to get the camera-settings best to counteract the dusk after Sun-set this time, but weather permitting there will likely be ample opportunity to improve to nearer the standards that both Pedro and Jochen have already shown here and no doubt other images will be published here...

No doubt using my H.D. tripod and a much lower ASA setting from the 800-ASA used here - allowing a longer exposure time, will reduce some of the noise, where the Manfrotto mono-pod used is not steady-enough for much longer exposures than around 2.5-seconds, even though I used a remote shutter-release and waiting for the 'pod' to settle-down. At least the 45-200mm telephoto is O.I.S (image stabilised)...

Now I know what settings to look for and possibly go to a very-clear horizon site, I hope to get some better image with a much longer view of the Comet of around 2-hours at present...

CLEAR SKIES
Terry
Attachments
Comet NEOWISE 12-7-2020 2200z.jpg
Comet NEOWISE 12-7-2020 2200z.jpg (186.72 KiB) Viewed 1045 times

JochenM

Re: NEOWISE C/2020 F3 - mY less than poor image - so far. !

Post by JochenM »

Good to hear/see that you managed to observe it, Terry. Looks good.

Fingers crossed for many more opportunities before it finaly leaves us for it's long voyage into the solar system.

Jochen Maes
Belgium
https://www.jochenmaes.com
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thank you Jochen.
Indeed best to catch it whilst able.

I do see from images posted on Spaceweather.com, that there were some others with a similar appearance as mine, so "I/we - are not alone."

Will try again tonight with higher and lower ASA/ISO settings...

Regards
Terry

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Wonderful image Terry, I am so glad you had some clear skies to see it :hamster:

I was imaging at 2.30am in the morning and could easily get 2-5 seconds before I saw star trails in the image. I also experimented on ISO 400, 800, 1600 and 3200, but noise does depend on your particular camera. Derek can use a very high ISO which my camera would be terrible with :)

Alexandra

Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

At least you’ve seen it, Terry. Fed up of the cloud here.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

A belated reply to Alexandra and Stuart.
Thanks for both replies and Stuart, NEOWISE is at closest approach to Earth this Thursday 23rd July and although I can't confirm it, it is apparently likely to be far more difficult to see and even image it. Even though it is fading somewhat, I understand that from a Dark Site, it can be seen "naked-eye", but camera-images should still allow for the best views.

Hi Alexandra, indeed star-trails are a problem, but even some of the best comet images over many years, are still acceptable with some trails.
Obviously the prime-aim is to get the comet as sharp as possible, but as it is not really a sharp-object compared to stars etc., both focusing and timings are really by experimenting as you have done...

My images were taken against a light-polluted area, so it was not the digital-noise that was a problem, rather just trying to do the best for imaging the comet itself and against that hazy/light-pollution.

I should have gone straight to a private dark-site in East Essex, but the journey that I did take, would normally have been satisfactory for the purpose.

BEST WISHES AND CLEAR SKIES
Regards
Terry