A little Earth-shine from our Sun - Friday 6th August'21

Lets brighten up peoples live with all those lovely pictures of the world around us!

Moderator: Montana

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

A little Earth-shine from our Sun - Friday 6th August'21

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Awoken (for whatever reason) I had a quick look outside to see the final-view of our Moon in a very clear-sky and just before day-break in the East. :movie

So quick grab of a couple of hand-held cameras, to see if could capture a decent-view before a cloud-bank was ab0ut to wipe that out...

Not perfect, but also Betelguese has also been captured too...

CLEAR SKIES (hopefully soon) or by Tuesday next.

Thanks for looking
Terry
Attachments
P1050013 Earth-shine at day-break.jpg
P1050013 Earth-shine at day-break.jpg (114.46 KiB) Viewed 610 times
P1050013 Earth-shine...jpg
P1050013 Earth-shine...jpg (106.89 KiB) Viewed 610 times
IMG_1851 Canon A1200 moon and Betelguese.jpg
IMG_1851 Canon A1200 moon and Betelguese.jpg (21.3 KiB) Viewed 610 times

Ivan

Re: A little Earth-shine from our Sun - Friday 6th August'21

Post by Ivan »

Hi Terry,

It is rather difficult to focus such a camera. I had a similar one, and there was no manual focus option.
I can imagine what kind of picture you would get with your new telescope.

Ivan

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Hello again Ivan and thanks your reply.

No telescope was involved for these captures, as the Moon was in the east and only around 20-degs elevation, with a fast moving and large cloud bank moving-in.
So no time for the observatory-use and in any case day-light was approaching at 0300-GMT/Z.

The cameras used were a Canon A1200 compact and a Panasonic DMC-G2 with telephoto-lens at around 180. Not even enough time to use the available tripod either and external cable-release either.
+++
With regards to the Saturn and Jupiter images, although I have ordered a ZWO ASI-120MC-S cam to use in the S/W ESPRIT ED80 new scope (to be used mainly for WL in between the Ha and CaK scopes in the observatory), the ESPRIT is not ideal at imaging planets, as 400mmFocal length and the 80mm light-gathering does limit the possibilities, but it is ideal for Solar and Lunar use for which was primarily intended.

Planetary imaging really requires 6"/150mm upwards to say 10"/400mm objectives for their light-gathering benefits, as planets being so small require better imaging techniques that I can achieve for now.

My 127-APO/TRIPLET refractor is not really suitable for use in the observatory, as too-big and heavy (requiring considerable work and time in removing and re-aligning the Solar Tri-scope Assembly), so hopefully the mini-observatory will allow limited-time use of my MEADE ETX-125 Cat. for planetary imaging trials in the future...

Cheers
Terry

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

I think the ESPRIT ED80 is great for deep space imaging. True, this requires a flatner, but not very extended objects like globular clusters can be filmed without it.

Ivan

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thanks Ivan.
I haven't yet tried for DS-imaging as yet, as the time of year is not really correct for around another month or so for this new scope.

It was primarily for WL Solar purposes, replacing another scope which had problems of contamination on the inside of the objective, which is believed to be coming from a bad manufacturing paint job on the inside of the Carbon-Fibre tube. :!:

Close inspection on the clean-bench and using vacuum methods of trying to remove these - has failed and as the objective seems to be impossible or very difficult to remove due to the use of C-F manufacture, it and its' other faults has caused it to be relegated to non-imaging purposes... :oops:

That scope is/was an Orion ED80T-CF and the manufacturer and supplier failed to respond for an answer, so neither will ever be used again...
(Carbon-Fibre has no place in the astronomical-equipment field of use - except saving money/increasing profit and lowering quality)... :cat

Cheers
Terry

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Some nice pics Terry :hamster:

Alexandra

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thanks Alexandra. All done too quickly to be any better, but for that early hour of the morning, had to be done.

Terry