Our achievements in solar imaging. Read and see!

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Valery
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Our achievements in solar imaging. Read and see!

Post by Valery »

Hi folks!

Read this nice article: http://www.nso.edu/node/1511

Look at the granulation photos there. They were taken with, imagine for a minute, with a 1,6m specialized solar telescope equipped with
advanced adaptive optical system!

Now go here and look at the photos taken by our friend Alfred Tan with a merely 0.2m telescope (8x smaller!) and special full size D-ERF filter and 10nm internal filter for 430nm wave length.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22367

Compare his images with those obtained by professionals at exceptional observing place and millions dollars advanced telescope!

Now we all can see that a "lucky imaging" technique coupled with a properly configured telescope can be at least comparable to what
professionals doing with modern advanced telescopes.

Lets go ahead even further and improve even more our equipment and technique of sun imaging!

Valery.
Attachments
Tan-vs-BBS-.jpg
Tan-vs-BBS-.jpg (1016.67 KiB) Viewed 6491 times

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Our achievements in solar imaging. Read and see!

Post by marktownley »

It's fantastic isn't it Valery! The amateurs have really been catching up this solar cycle...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
edobosz

Post by edobosz »

Thanks Valery. A remarkable example of what is now possible from amateur systems.
Ted

Lunt LS80THa DSII Quark Prominence ES127mm refractor
Valery

Post by Valery »

marktownley wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 10:26 am It's fantastic isn't it Valery! The amateurs have really been catching up this solar cycle...
Yes, Mark. You are right. And... what is the most important is that Alfred was able to capture some bright features in the intergranulation net!!!
And this is with just 10nm 430nm filter! With 1nm filter this will be even easier and much more contrasty!

And Alfred was the second one who did this. Before this were done by Christian Viladrich, but with 14" aperture and, better seeing.

I hope that step by step some more of us will go further with G-band imaging along with Ca II K and Ca II H lines.

Congratulates, Alfred!

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Mmmm I think the professionals should seriously up their game, they need some lessons from us :lol: these are fantastic Valery and Alfred, very well done :hamster:

Alexandra

Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

Superb! An excellent example of what can be achieved with an amateur setup. As you say, things really have come a long way in recent years.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
eroel

Post by eroel »

Valery:
You are right, we amateurs can give a much different view than a professional, we love to try, to improve and to tinker with everything possible fitted to our budget, not to say on the processing side!
A big hug for all amateurs,
Eric.

yltansg

Post by yltansg »

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your kind words. It has been a great pleasure learning from and with all of you. It would have taken me a much longer time to figure out various things if not for the generous sharing of your knowledge. Some of you even took extra effort to coach me. To be on the safe side I decided not to mention names because I will miss out some of you and that wouldn't be nice :) So a very big thank you to all of you for your help.

It is this spirit of sharing and encouraging one another on in this learning journey that has resulted in greater achievement for this community. Kudos and bravo!! :bow2 :bow2 :bow2 :bow :bow :bow

So far I have the 150mm ARIES D-ERF and D-ERF for the C8. They are beyond my expectation. The D-ERF for my C14 is being produced and tested by Valery. Take your time, Valery. Appreciate the close attention that you give to your products!!

Besides more sessions with a 430/1nm filter I am also getting started on H-Alpha imaging with the C8. I have extracted an etalon from a PST and installed it on the C8. I am looking forward to this weekend. Will share the results, weather permitting.

Take care all and have a great time !!

Alfred
Last edited by yltansg on Thu May 04, 2017 3:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

ffellah

Post by ffellah »

Alfred: congratulations on your excellent imaging achievement !

I look forward to seeing more of your images

Franco

yltansg

Post by yltansg »

ffellah wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 12:57 am Alfred: congratulations on your excellent imaging achievement !

I look forward to seeing more of your images

Franco
Hi Franco,

Thanks for your kind words. Once the setup is established, it is a matter of having good seeing conditions and getting the focus right. So I didn't have to do much. Of course the final would have been better in the hands of an expert post-processing astronomer.

Alfred

krakatoa1883
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by krakatoa1883 »

Remarkable results indeed, very powerful setup.

BTW, the best Earth-based images of the Sun are those taken from the 98cm Swedish Solar Telescope in La Palma. They are truly incredible. Some samples can be seen in here and here.

Raf
My solar images and reports with articles on solar equipment
Ewan
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Ewan »

Fantastic image it is too, goes to show though aperture doesn't 'always' win.
The biggest factor for me is the conditions here in the UK but every now & then the seeing can be good.
As I have said before the Quark, in particular, opened the 'solar imaging doors' to a lot of people that otherwise could not have afforded a solarscope.

Looking forward to more hi res images from you all.

Atb
Ewan

edwardcolins
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by edwardcolins »

Valery wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 4:20 am Hi folks!

Read this nice article: http://www.nso.edu/node/1511

Look at the granulation photos there. They were taken with, imagine for a minute, with a 1,6m specialized Good Solar Panel Maintenance telescope equipped with
advanced adaptive optical system!

Now go here and look at the photos taken by our friend Alfred Tan with a merely 0.2m telescope (8x smaller!) and special full size D-ERF filter and 10nm internal filter for 430nm wave length.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22367

Compare his images with those obtained by professionals at exceptional observing place and millions dollars advanced telescope!

Now we all can see that a "lucky imaging" technique coupled with a properly configured telescope can be at least comparable to what
professionals doing with modern advanced telescopes.

Lets go ahead even further and improve even more our equipment and technique of sun imaging!

Valery.
Hello,
This type of imaging is only possible by using very powerful telescope with very high resolution.