Lunt Pressure Tuner

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
rcwinter
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Lunt Pressure Tuner

Post by rcwinter »

Hi All

Can anyone advise on the type of grease used in the pressure tuner please

I would like to replace the grease

I just obtained a 60mm and the tuner is far stiffer that I think it should be, on removing the tuner knob it was cover in white grease, when I say covered it really was , on looking at the o ring replacement video only a little should be used , the stuff in mine is more like plumbers mate than grease

Richard

Baader DERF 90 & 160. Vixen SP102M Moonlite, Takahashi TOA130 Feathertouch 3.5, Takahashi FSQ106N, Daystar Quantum SE .4ang, Apollo Max, ZWO ASI 174MM. 2600mm, 178MM, Lumenera Skynx & Infinity 2
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Lunt Pressure Tuner

Post by Montana »

A very warm and sunny welcome Richard, I am sure someone will know the answer to your question.

Alexandra

dhkaiser
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by dhkaiser »

Best to contact Lunt.

Dan
South central Indiana
USA
JochenM

Post by JochenM »

Hi Richard

When I bought my LS50, I had the opposite problem (no grease applied at all from what I could tell). I used some simple silicone grease (the stuff that gets uses for water or gas taps for example), does the job just fine.

Jochen Maes
Belgium
https://www.jochenmaes.com
rcwinter
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by rcwinter »

Hi and thank you for the warm welcome, I have contacted Lunt for an o ring set and Blue filter replacement

I replaced the grease with some engineering grade silicone grease which seems to work ok, I tried it out and the filter stayed on band while being used, I did try a few images but I need to get some form of remote focusing sorted out

The Blue filter is also gone, although I did improve it with a soak in cleaning fluid and a polish up

Kind regards

Richard
Southampton UK

Baader DERF 90 & 160. Vixen SP102M Moonlite, Takahashi TOA130 Feathertouch 3.5, Takahashi FSQ106N, Daystar Quantum SE .4ang, Apollo Max, ZWO ASI 174MM. 2600mm, 178MM, Lumenera Skynx & Infinity 2
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

Hi Richard - it should be 100% silicone grease - available from most hardware stores

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
rcwinter
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by rcwinter »

Hi Mark,

many thanks,

I made the right choice then, 😊, I took a couple of pictures when I dismantled the tuner, it looks horrific , not sure yet how to post images on this site yet , but it would would be fun to do so

Kind regards

Richard

Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

I haven’t worked that out yet either.... was going to post a pic of the grease I used.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
george9
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by george9 »

Lunt uses Dow Corning High Vacuum Grease. They send some grease with new O-ring sets.

I had cleaned the grease on one of my pressure tuners. Then I noticed it developed some hysteresis when tuning up and down. So I loaded more grease on the PT threads and it went back to normal. So some of the extra grease may have been put there on purpose to take up slight slack. (Note that it has nothing to do with the seal, which is due to the O-rings.)

George

Rusted

Post by Rusted »

Highbury Mark wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:00 pm I haven’t worked that out yet either.... was going to post a pic of the grease I used.

Hi Mark,

Posting images is easy if you have them on your W10 computer as reasonably sized JPEGs.
Normally I resize my images to 600 pixels max dimension in PhotoFiltre for posting on forums.

I just click on each image and drag them from Quick Access/Pictures folder into the post composing box.
You need the full posting options box. The one with all the smilies and Preview.

The simple quick post box wont work with images.

Or, you can click on Attachments/Add Files below the post composing box.
This will open your Pictures folder for you to select an image. Right Click then Select.

Then click on Place Inline under the posting box to place the image attachment in your post.
You can move the text image[s] link[s] around the posting box to suit your needs.
Spacing of images and text is always an issue. I use double new lines. Enter-enter.

I strongly suggest you click on Preview before committing your images to public scrutiny.
One slip of the mouse and you could go viral! :mrgreen:
Here's one I took earlier:

Venus transit Vixen 90mm f11 handheld snap.jpg
Venus transit Vixen 90mm f11 handheld snap.jpg (19.36 KiB) Viewed 824 times

http://fullerscopes.blogspot.dk/

H-alpha: Baader 160mm D-ERF, iStar 150/10 H-alpha objective, 2" Baader 35nm H-a, 2" Beloptik KG3,
Lunt 60MT etalon, Lunt B1200S2 BF, Assorted T-S GPCs or 2x "Shorty" Barlow, ZWO ASI174.
rcwinter
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by rcwinter »

Hi Mark

Ok, I will do so next time, figured it out, no problem , as you say easy enough

Your equipment, did you put in the signature or other

Regards

Richard

rcwinter
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by rcwinter »

Hi All

Sorted that also

Regards

Richard

Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

Thanks to Rusted for the explanation.
Richard - look forward to hearing your thoughts on the LS60 - nice complements your Quantum 0.4A.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
rcwinter
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by rcwinter »

Hi Mark

Many thanks also, yes the Daystar is nice, however it is away at the moment with SSpectrum for restoration, however not heard back from Mark W in ages, I hope he is ok, sent a number of messages but no reply yet

I look forward to some excellent use of the scope, have been wandering what would be the best way to motorise the focuser

Have been in touch with Lunt in Germany who are sending out a ring set

Very good customer service

Regards

Richard