Full disk 17-06-2020

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Full disk 17-06-2020

Post by rsfoto »

Hi,

Sunshine, warm but not too warm and here todays Sun with a new spot in the Northeastern quadrant at about +19° near the limb. Looking at the magnetogram from SDO it has cycle 25 polarity -/+. Let us see if it develops or if it just a tiny spot.

A few prominences, a disappearing filaprom and many filaments on the Sun's surface.

Inspired by the message from Dan Kaiser viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28511&p=259948#p259637 I added a L filter from Astronomik which is a IR/UV cut filter. First thing I noticed is that I had to increase in White Light my exposure time from 4.25 ms to 7.5 ms.
astronomik-l-uv-ir_trans.png
astronomik-l-uv-ir_trans.png (65.85 KiB) Viewed 704 times
Below the result and IMHO the differences between Yes IR/UV and No IR/UV filter is barely noticeable. Perhaps it changes when we have spots as at the moment the Sun is totally blank. The tiny spot in the Northeastern quadrant did leave a footprinf in WL with the IR/UV filter but is not visible in the No IR/UV filter image but on the other side in the No IR/UV image I see a bit more plage in the Northern and Southern pole.

Difficult to say with a Blank Sun :? :? :?

No IR/UV filter

Yes IR/UV filter

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
rsfoto

Re: Full disk 17-06-2020

Post by rsfoto »

Hi,

I did now combine half and half and noticed the Yes IR/UV filter has lost a bit of its 3D appearance compared to the No IR/UV filter. :roll:

The 3D gradient on the right side is better visible and by far less on the left side of the image. :shock:

The Yes IR/UV image looks now more similar to the SDO WL image. It looks somehow flatter.

SDO WL image from today.
20200617_14h30m_2048_HMII.jpg
20200617_14h30m_2048_HMII.jpg (626.08 KiB) Viewed 696 times

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
dhkaiser

Post by dhkaiser »

Interesting comparisons, don't know what to make of them.

Dan
South central Indiana
USA
David_The_Bears_Fan
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by David_The_Bears_Fan »

Interesting, have never done the comparison on a full disk but have compared UV/IR cut vs no UV/IR cut on higher magnification shots and seen the benefits.

David

Kit: Skywatcher Evostar 120 on Celestron CG-4 / Bresser AR102xs / Lunt B1200 Ca-K Module / Lacerta Herschel Wedge / Daystar Combo Quark / ZWO ASI178MM & 120MC-S / QHY5-II Mono
ffellah

Post by ffellah »

Great Ha image, Rainer. Let's hope for a new spot...

Franco

eroel

Post by eroel »

Rainer:
Very interesting difference and very nice shots.
Fuerte abrazo,
Eric.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Beautiful images Rainer :bow :hamster:

It may be that you have a very good quality refractor Rainer, the UV/IR cut filter is not necessary for all. It certainly is not necessary for the TEC140, but generally it helps for most telescopes. You are not required to use one, just check it out to make sure you aren't missing a trick :)

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Great images and interesting thread Rainer.

I was surprised at the reduction in exposure time you experienced given the transmission curve suggests 95% transmission. I'm currently awaiting delivery of the L1 version of this filter to use as a sub aperture ERF as (according to the transmission data from Astronomik!) it should let through more light than the Baader blue I currently use.

I think the use of a UV/IR filter with the continuum comes from there are 2 versions of the continuum filter. Early versions have a huge IR leak as can be seen in the transmission curve below, it's effectiveky transparent above about 800nm, where our cameras are still very sensitive.
Ba-Cont-lin.gif
Ba-Cont-lin.gif (137.35 KiB) Viewed 647 times
It is this IR leak that causes the low contrast when imaging.

You can see here there appears to be a later generation of the filter viewtopic.php?t=16944

Now without doing a direct comparison between old and new I wonder if the new version has a UV/IR coating as standard? Hence the result you found Rainer? How old is your filter?

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Thanks Rainer, very interesting

Terry

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

marktownley wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:50 am Great images and interesting thread Rainer.

I was surprised at the reduction in exposure time you experienced given the transmission curve suggests 95% transmission. I'm currently awaiting delivery of the L1 version of this filter to use as a sub aperture ERF as (according to the transmission data from Astronomik!) it should let through more light than the Baader blue I currently use.

I think the use of a UV/IR filter with the continuum comes from there are 2 versions of the continuum filter. Early versions have a huge IR leak as can be seen in the transmission curve below, it's effectiveky transparent above about 800nm, where our cameras are still very sensitive.

Ba-Cont-lin.gif

You can see here there appears to be a later generation of the filter viewtopic.php?t=16944

Now without doing a direct comparison between old and new I wonder if the new version has a UV/IR coating as standard? Hence the result you found Rainer? How old is your filter?

Mark
Hi Mark,
I bought my Baader Herschel wedge perhaps 11 or 12 years ago and so it is old, very old. It is the cheap metal sheet wedge.

I will wait until some spots arrive and then make another comparison. It is question of two minutes to take off or put on the filter so not a big deal.

herschel3.jpg
herschel3.jpg (16.41 KiB) Viewed 635 times

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Montana wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:27 am Beautiful images Rainer :bow :hamster:

It may be that you have a very good quality refractor Rainer, the UV/IR cut filter is not necessary for all. It certainly is not necessary for the TEC140, but generally it helps for most telescopes. You are not required to use one, just check it out to make sure you aren't missing a trick :)

Alexandra
Hi Alexandra,

I am using a Takahashi FS-78 f/8.1 630 mm focal length scope which is a doublet and one lens is Fluorite ... ¿ is that good ? :?

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

rsfoto wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:10 pm
marktownley wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:50 am Great images and interesting thread Rainer.

Ba-Cont-lin.gif

Mark
Hi Mark,
I bought my Baader Herschel wedge perhaps 11 or 12 years ago and so it is old, very old. It is the cheap metal sheet wedge.

I will wait until some spots arrive and then make another comparison. It is question of two minutes to take off or put on the filter so not a big deal.

herschel3.jpg
Are you not using a continuum filter Rainer?

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

marktownley wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:00 pm
rsfoto wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:10 pm

Ba-Cont-lin.gif

Mark
Hi Mark,

herschel3.jpg
Are you not using a continuum filter Rainer?
Hi Mark,

Sure there is a Continuum filter as as well a ND filter in the path.

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Is the continuum filter an old or new one?

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

marktownley wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:49 pm Is the continuum filter an old or new one?
Hi Mark,

As old as the wedge :D

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°