Seeing Conditions - good match for my kit?

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
AlexTardif
The Sun?
The Sun?

Seeing Conditions - good match for my kit?

Post by AlexTardif »

Hi folks -

(Posted this on CN, but not sure how much audience overlap there is between this and CN's forums, so figured I'll ask here as well...)

I thought I had a decent understanding of seeing conditions and impact on my imaging, but now I'm thinking maybe I don't... I've never really had major issues with night-time observing/imaging, but now as I'm patiently waiting for the new Lunt 80mm to arrive (Double-stack, 1800BF) and I'm reading about how much day-time seeing could be different from night-time I'm wondering what I should expect given the following:
  • METEOBLUE often reports my arc sec. readings at around 0.85-1.50 and gives it a Excellent(4)-Good(5) ratings (the <1.00 arc sec. readings is what I often get around 11am PST)
1.jpeg
1.jpeg (260.85 KiB) Viewed 222 times
  • ASTROSPHERIC also reports optimistic readings and just gives Above Average - Excellent ratings
2.jpeg
2.jpeg (126.06 KiB) Viewed 222 times

So, what does this translate to in practical terms for my observation and imaging, especially in context of the equipment I have on order?

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Seeing Conditions - good match for my kit?

Post by marktownley »

IF... your seeing is what meteo blue suggests then you will be fine with the 80.

I suspect they won't be that good during the heat of a summer day (not sure how hot it gets where you are?), if that's the case you just have to time your imaging for the best conditions of the day, normally first thing.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
AlexTardif
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by AlexTardif »

Oh it gets REALLY hot here in summer, sometimes - 100-110F and the temps can swing 30-45F between night and day! I plan on imaging from inside a domed observatory, and I'll have to figure out the chimney effect as well, but I do have some decent fans installed in walls with the ability to suck the air in (vs pushing it out) through the dome slit, so we'll see how I'll be able to manage that.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I think you'll have fun trying it all out. :lol:

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!