Sunday 6th June'21 new captures

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Sunday 6th June'21 new captures

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Today - was early to capture just before the clouds moved-in and was an intended 3-lights FD's only for trying-out different processing results - which I trust might be found interesting. :bow

The seeing conditions were not ideal, as a thin haze-layer and surprisingly turbulent atmosphere, probably due to a fairly warm outside air temperature at that early hour. Thus detail was marred somewhat for the final-results.

Comments appreciated.

Thanks to Alexandra mentioning an important item previously, as well as two others where I've yet to try out their suggestions.. :girl:

Enjoy
Terry
Attachments
08_05_46ha.jpg
08_05_46ha.jpg (161.64 KiB) Viewed 263 times
6-6-2021 0805z Ha&WL.jpg
6-6-2021 0805z Ha&WL.jpg (916.59 KiB) Viewed 263 times
6-6-2021 WL-AR2827,2829,2830.jpg
6-6-2021 WL-AR2827,2829,2830.jpg (473.55 KiB) Viewed 263 times
08_05_46ha merged-3.jpg
08_05_46ha merged-3.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 263 times
6-6-2021 0705z Ha+proms.jpg
6-6-2021 0705z Ha+proms.jpg (400.52 KiB) Viewed 263 times

DeepSolar64

Re: Sunday 6th June'21 new captures

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I really like these Terry. These are some of the best ones I have seen you do. Nice Calcium II K too!!!

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Many thanks James for your comments.
I have certainly produced better CaK and Ha images some years ago, but I wan't to get back to that standard.
These, images could have been better had the seeing been better too and also I was very tired after no sleep for almost two-nights and still need to catch-up on that too, so hopefully an earlier night than usual to the horizontal-position... !!

When I get back in-doors, I just need to send these to my private email group and after a kip, I have the XP laptop to work on tomorrow, before it goes in for some mods to bring it up to a faster and larger-memory - ready for trials with my StarLightXpress HX-916 cam. It only will work with XP and as a very expensive old-camera, I'm hoping it will work well with the new/ordered scope, which I have just been informed should be here in about 4-weeks.

Onwards & Upwards.

Terry

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

These users thanked the author EGRAY_OBSERVATORY for the post (total 3):
torsinadoc, H-Alpha...

I don't know what comments (if any) were made via/from presumably another website, so apologises, but I don't/won't log in to these websites as unsafe.

Cheers
Terry

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Hi Terry

The pictures are good.
I noticed that in the photographs where the surface and the proms disk are combined, the scale (size) of the proms disk can be reduced so that there is no gap between the edge of the surface disk and the proms disk.
Sorry if I wrote it confusingly.

Ivan

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

These are really excellent Terry, I think your best yet :bow :hamster:

Alexandra

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thank you so much for your reply Ivan.
That is a good point to mention and I deliberately left these as seen, as it seems that it is not necessary to accurately align the disk and the prom-images precisely for the size, rather, to align the proms with the surface-detail where flares are likely to start at the disk-edge near the limb and when available can be seen as the emerging prominence.

This is still in the early-stages of refining the use of combining two of the three-lights, with other methods still to be worked on too...

I dare say, somebody-else will now suddenly come-up with (or copy) these methods of producing this type of imagery, which of course is a free-world to do, but I also have other ideas to perfect...

Cheers for now
Terry

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thank you Alexandra for that nice comment. Some is down to your advice., but still more work to do and possibly in the next few days of better weather, will actually grab some better captures to play with.

Unfortunately the new scope which was due about now, has a delay on imports (not surprisingly)...

Regards
Terry

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

In any case, the pictures are beautiful and I am very happy for your success.
I will never forget how you helped me.

Ivan

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Hi Terry, nice captures! Are the images that AS3 saves 16 bit tiff files?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

That is correct Mark, I normally use Tiff files through the processing and then JPEGing for here and my private eMail group, as the difference is so small and barely noticeable, as well as saving so much bytes of course...

As said previously, any poor surface-detail is due to a high-altitude thin cloud layer, taken at the first available time that I could get these three captures.
Several AVI files were captured, but all show much the same or worse...

Ideally - if I had waited for an the Sun to burn-off that layer, then the weather-satellite was showing some real clouds approaching within about an hour or so and I know that much later even Dave Smith was seeing that. I needed to get some kip, which was more important...

Cheers
Terry

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thank you Ivan for that kind remark. Even though I have my Solar scopes for around ten years, as well as using our local club's SolarMax and PST Ha and CaK longer than that, I have learnt a bit and throughout that period have been flying nearly daily, which has prevented me from getting to grips
with the processing-stages to get the best out of these. So I am still learning and since joining SolarChat a year or so ago, have picked-up many tips.

It is unlikely that I will ever get anywhere near as good as some of the SolarChatter's productions with their own larger-aperture scopes, but I have got some far-better captures than these in this post with my two Lunt scopes etc. Even though I could easily afford bigger scopes, there is a limit to those
sizes, without modifying the purpose-built Solar-observatory and I want to keep the tri-scope assembly as is, so I do as little messing-around with changing gear than is necessary. Close-up's are a chore for me, so I can leave those to others...

There is a possibility of a second mini-observatory here, but likely to be for white-light and Lunar/Planetary only - during the winter months...

I am still trying-out other things including using Barlows etc. etc.. This method here of combining these images, has taken longer due to poor weather or other commitments necessary..

So Ivan, no probs on any help I gave you, as this is so often the case with others giving help on SolarChat too and glad that I was able to help you..

Regards
Terry