July 11 2021 Observations. Proms!

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

July 11 2021 Observations. Proms!

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Session time is from 16:25 to 18:16 UTC. The seeing is surprisingly above average and the skies are mostly clear. The temperature is 81F ( 27.2C ) Though it's mostly clear here at the moment there is thunderstorms and rain to my west. And I had planned to mow my lawn!! :(

Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS. 32x, 44.5x, 64x and 100x ( Ha )
I can see 6 plage areas on the Sun today! AR12841 in the southeast is the easiest to see. I can see another tiny plage just to it's NW. The NE shows an area of scattered light plage, looking more like a ruffled large disturbed area. A spot is present here and bright proms are near it on the limb. This is the recently numbered AR12842. The NW shows a faint small plage that is all that remains of AR12839. The SW shows two faint plages side-by-side.

Filaments are hard to come by today. I see only two in the NW and one in the SW. GONG images show a filament at the SW limb above a large prom complex located there. I did not notice it.

Prominences are the highlight today. The NE shows a wonderful bright group that shows decent detail to the eye. I thought they resembled tattered thunderstorm clouds! The NW shows a number of small ones. One resembles a small bright slightly curved spike! The SW has a nice large intricate prom complex. It looked very delicate, gossamer-like in appearance. It's northern brighter part at one point had a corkscrew appearance leaning southward. The SE has a pyramid shaped prom with a small dark void at it's base. Besides these I can see other small proms around the disc and the spicule layer can be easily seen. 100x shows the individual spicules with the tall macro-spicules standing out well.

The mottles are easily seen across the solar disc.

I did take a single Ha image using my iPhone. It turned out surprisingly well showing most of the detail I could see visually on the limb and even picked up the spicule layer!

Celestron NexStar 102GT w/Altair wedge and 540nm filter. 55x and 110x ( WL )
I can see 4 disturbances in white light. AR12842 shows itself in the far NE as a single fair sized sunspot showing both umbra and penumbra. It's faculae can be seen as well. AR12841 in the SE shows 7 spots/pores to my eye. The SDO HMI 4K continuum image shows only a couple more than this! It's faculae are faintly visible. A facula in the far SW shows a single tiny pore. Though tiny it is dark and I had no trouble seeing it. The NW shows a large fainter area of faculae, probably associated with AR12839. I see no spots or pores located there.

Granulation is easy to see today.

The soundtrack for today's observations are:

Halo Movie Soundtrack: Martin O' Donnell and Michael Salvatori
1492 Conquest of Paradise: Vangelis

Carpe Lumen!

James

GONGCTand GONGBBha_7-11-21.JPG
GONGCTand GONGBBha_7-11-21.JPG (236.89 KiB) Viewed 422 times
SDOHMIc_7-11-21.JPG
SDOHMIc_7-11-21.JPG (71.54 KiB) Viewed 422 times
AR12841_SDOHMIc_Greyscale_7-11-21.JPG
AR12841_SDOHMIc_Greyscale_7-11-21.JPG (16.72 KiB) Viewed 422 times
iPhone_SMII90_NEproms_7-11-21_JP.jpg
iPhone_SMII90_NEproms_7-11-21_JP.jpg (105.71 KiB) Viewed 422 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
Petrus
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: July 11 2021 Observations. Proms!

Post by Petrus »

Great solar journal James!

~ Petrus ~

Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/people/194757663@N08/

LS80THa DSII - Calcium II K module 12mm - Lunt Herschel wedge 1.25" - Quark Chromosphere - Solarscout Quark - Sol'Ex
VasilevIvan
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by VasilevIvan »

James, it's excellent description of solar activity! And nice set of images! Hope that sunspot AR12842 will bring to us more interesting!

P.S. The soundtrack is quite good!

Best regards, Ivan.

VANTIM. Two Brothers observatory.

Observatory Dome 2.85m
SolarMax II 60mm DS, SW MAK 150, SW 80 ED, TS-Optics 6'' f5,9, LightBridge 12'' // AZ-EQ6 Pro, HEQ-5 mount
DayStar Quark Chromosphere, Lunt CaK B1800, D-ERF Baader 6'' // ZWO ASI 174mm, ASI 183mm, ASI178mm, ASI462mc, Player-One Apollo-M MAX.
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Thanks Petrus. I am glad you find them clearly readable. It's not always easy to describe what you see in the eyepiece.

Thanks V. Ivan, I am glad you too find my descriptions readable. Images, whether GONG, SDO or my own help back up what I am trying to describe in my report. I guess that is one advantage of imaging. You can see at an instant what is visible in a high quality photograph.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Sounds like an amazing view, one of those special days :hamster: and love the images, especially the iPhone one :bow

On the soundtrack, it got me thinking, do you listen aloud or via ear buds?
Just wondering after being forced to listen to a neighbour's music for 11 hrs each day from 10am to 11pm Saturday and Sunday, when all I wanted to do was listen to the birds in my own garden :( It was a mind numbing experience.

Alexandra

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Alexandra,
In the summer months I set up on the back deck of my house and crack open the sliding glass door to let the sound out. I play my music then on my Carver/Bose home stereo which usually plays music streamed from Pandora on my computer. I can also play files from a music library on my computer and I can still play from compact disc too. That being said, I don't play it loud. It's played as more of an ambient background to set the mood. If it's too loud it would distract me from my work at the telescope. In the fall-winter-spring months I use a small Sony Bluetooth speaker which won't play but slightly louder than one can talk. Either way I certainly don't play it loud enough for my neighbors to hear.

I had problems with a neighbor years ago playing loud music late at night really loud. I lived in a close in trailer park at the time and the bass from his stereo kept me awake at night. He would get drinking and partying and the louder it would go. I asked him to turn it down several times but when I would leave it would go right back up.

The problem I have had where I live now is constantly barking dogs. I have called the police on a neighbor about a half-dozen times. They fined him and he removed the loudest dog. It's been some better lately but two of the dogs are still there and I still hear them sometimes but it's not as bad as it was.

I do not try to entertain the whole neighborhood and I often listen to the birds too and leave the stereo off. Like I am doing today.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

Thanks for your report James.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

Great report James.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Thanks and welcome, Stu and Maurits.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Thanks for your report on the proms weekend James.

On the noise-front, so sad that some of us have to put-up with "over the top" levels of intrusion from neighbours, whether it be by music, dogs or any other unnecessary noise. I wonder if those people actually have a hearing-deficiency - which often can be dealt with quite easily.

A different type of intrusive-noise is actually from my neighbour who decides to erect a wrestling-ring and invite some of his apparent-wrestlers to practice in his back-garden, with very loud voices and the banging of the ring-surface when they play their games !!
The possibility of action to curtail this illegal-noise is a possibility as I know that other another-neighbour has objected to that unnecessary noise, but for the moment, I'm holding fire...

Cheers
Terry

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

It's sad that some people think only of themselves and thing little to none of others. Until you do it to them!

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Sadly we have noticed a BIG difference in the behaviour of our neighbours in the past year. Covid seems to have turned them all noisy and selfish. Very sad really as for the past 20 years they have been so polite and respectful. The main problem is the new housing development, it is this which is the biggest problem. Last year the houses weren't occupied, this year they most certainly are :( Before I had a lovely field with donkeys and horses to solar view over, now I have 100 houses which has destroyed my seeing, with heating and light pollution too. The party they had 2 weeks ago was unbelievable, they must have a garden 5m x5m but they managed to have live singers and a concert from 2pm-11pm. It was so loud we went for a walk to escape. Whilst walking back (about a mile away) we thought, gosh is someone else having a party on this side of town too? oh no, as we got closer to our house it got louder and louder, it was them. So the noise from their 5x5m garden could be heard across town!! At that point we were wondering whether to call the police. Thankfully this weekends 24hrs party was quieter but still annoying. I wish the donkeys were still there, I'd give anything for their wonderful braying again, even at midnight.

Alexandra

Stardust5858

Post by Stardust5858 »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and report. I love sitting in my dome listening to the birds while observing. At night on the odd occasion I'm out there I listen to the owls and bats. It's very soothing therapy.

10ft x 6ft Solar RoR with Warm Room
Lunt 60mm Double Stack HA
80ed WL+ Lunt Hershal Wedge + Badder K-Line filter.
100mm AR + Lunt b1800 Ca-K module.
Neq6 Eq Mount.

2.7m Pulsar Dome.
11in Celestron SCT + White Light Filter.
70mm AR Stellavue.
12inch OO Newtonian.
Eq8 r Pro Mount.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Excellent report, James. You can find words to make reading interesting.
Good luck with the lawn and let the neighbor's dogs sleep and eat more, then they will have no time to bark.

Ivan

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Montana wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:31 am Sadly we have noticed a BIG difference in the behaviour of our neighbours in the past year. Covid seems to have turned them all noisy and selfish. Very sad really as for the past 20 years they have been so polite and respectful. The main problem is the new housing development, it is this which is the biggest problem. Last year the houses weren't occupied, this year they most certainly are :( Before I had a lovely field with donkeys and horses to solar view over, now I have 100 houses which has destroyed my seeing, with heating and light pollution too. The party they had 2 weeks ago was unbelievable, they must have a garden 5m x5m but they managed to have live singers and a concert from 2pm-11pm. It was so loud we went for a walk to escape. Whilst walking back (about a mile away) we thought, gosh is someone else having a party on this side of town too? oh no, as we got closer to our house it got louder and louder, it was them. So the noise from their 5x5m garden could be heard across town!! At that point we were wondering whether to call the police. Thankfully this weekends 24hrs party was quieter but still annoying. I wish the donkeys were still there, I'd give anything for their wonderful braying again, even at midnight.

Alexandra
I understand you perfectly Alexandra, we have exactly the same problems, with the only difference that loud music (although it can hardly be called music) can also sound at night. The police do not want to make such calls, the last time I waited for them for an hour and a half, and they did not come.
I am very paralyzed and surprised that you have such problems.
I sympathize and understand you Alexandra, James and Terry and all those who just want silence.

I wish everyone a clear sky and silence.

Ivan

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Lastly from me at least, can I add the part of the comment which Alexandra made as "Covid seems to have turned them all noisy and selfish."

Very well said Alexandra and 100% accurate.

It is obvious that almost everything about this infection since its' outset some 19-months or so ago, has made zillions of people around the world and especially in this island/country very selfish in their ways. I will not go further into those "selfish" ways, as politics is something not for discussion here, but the phrase "IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE" prevails - especially in this scenario...

Please:- Everybody and your families and friends, PLEASE STAY VERY-SAFE & WELL...

Terry

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Alexandra,
In my part of western North Carolina population increase and development is happening at a fast rate. Farm fields, orchards and forests are being converted to apartments, trailer parks and housing subdivisions at a terrible rate. It makes traffic worse, light pollution at night worse and of course noise. I live outside of town so I still enjoy a fairly rural area but that is slowly changing. The biggest asset we have in my area is large amounts of undeveloped land held up by national and state forests. Pisgah National Forest, The Great Smoky Mountain National Park, Green River Game lands, etc. If it wasn't for these our area wouldn't have a chance. It would end up to be an unstoppable metropolis!

Clouds for me today. Drizzle and no sun :(

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars