Google news: 150,000 images for sharpest image?

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Rusted
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Google news: 150,000 images for sharpest image?

Post by Rusted »

I was scanning Google News and saw a story about an H-a image.
A solar astronomer had used 150,000 images to produce his sharpest ever image.
All the stories are hidden behind advertising firewalls so I couldn't discover more.
Anybody we know?

http://fullerscopes.blogspot.dk/

H-alpha: Baader 160mm D-ERF, iStar 150/10 H-alpha objective, 2" Baader 35nm H-a, 2" Beloptik KG3,
Lunt 60MT etalon, Lunt B1200S2 BF, Assorted T-S GPCs or 2x "Shorty" Barlow, ZWO ASI174.
rsfoto

Re: Google news: 150,000 images for sharpest image?

Post by rsfoto »

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Here you can buy it for a print

https://cosmicbackground.io/

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Wow! $50 for a print, I'd rather make my own. Anyone can have any of mine for free :lol:

Alexandra

ffellah

Post by ffellah »

I can do that with less than 50,000 images

Franco :lol:

Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

I am quite mortified by this image.

What absolutely nonsense ! 150 000 images ?
I could make a single pixel per image and say I used 2 million images to make an image of the sun.
That image which was linked earlier shows an awful false looking sun. I mean does a gas look like that ???

What would the Parker Solar Probe say ?

Magnus

Solar: H-alpha": Quark Chromosphere filter; Baader white light filters
Scopes: Altair Astro Travel ED70mm (F 420mm, D=70mm);; Skywatcher 90mm (F 910mm D=90mm); GSO focuser;;Altair Astro 60mm guidescope (D=60mm,F=225mm)
Cameras: ASI120mm-S,ASI174mm
Mount: SW HEQ5 Pro, SW EQ3 Pro Synscan (SW = Skywatcher),Vixen Polarie tracker (portable setup)
Accessory: SW Auto-focuser
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Its sounds impressive to the uninitiated who haven't a clue what they're reading about, which would be 99.9999% of the population when it comes to solar imaging...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Exactly as Mark and others have just said.

Absolute nonsense and we here on SolarChat make far-better images by 100's of times better.

1000 frames through a decently large telescope with somewhat decent conditions too and of course using the regular programs for downloading and processing our own images are (nearly) always better than that one.

Clearly the producing-artist must have been on "cloud nine" and obviously seems to be out for some profit - if his lucky...

Ooooh Aaaaah !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It's Christmas and the artist need the dosh...

Terry

Rusted

Post by Rusted »

Thanks everybody. :bow

The usual mass media plagiarism hyped into advertising pollution. :roll:

H-alpha: Baader 160mm D-ERF, iStar 150/10 H-alpha objective, 2" Baader 35nm H-a, 2" Beloptik KG3,
Lunt 60MT etalon, Lunt B1200S2 BF, Assorted T-S GPCs or 2x "Shorty" Barlow, ZWO ASI174.
Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

“Spherical and plural” as the saying goes.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
Rusted

Post by Rusted »

Carbon60 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:38 am “Spherical and plural” as the saying goes.

Stu.
2 x [4/3 Pi x r³] ? :shock:

Surely not? :D

minhlead
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by minhlead »

Well, my personal experience on this matter is that most of the time, the photographer does not have the final decision on what the news will say. Uninitiated reporters just find an eye-catching title and went with it, sometimes pushing the story far away from what the photographer originally tried to say.
I was so mad at a local online news bent my story on my DSO journey and make it sound like I am running a multimillion dollar observatory, implying my images comparable to HST's (while it's what I said was simply I used the same technique developed by Hubble team for post processing, specifically drizzling and the Hubble Palette). When I call and confront the reporter he does not think it's any big deal, it's certainly a more interesting story that a local running a world class observatory than some random guy sweat his ass out trying to make the cheapo Chinese made mount work. "I think your image practically look the same as the ones I saw online of Hubble's" is his defense.
I was so mad and embarrassed with my friends who is doing DSO, my wife was furious though since I was telling her I purchased my gear at "discounted price" and when she "find out" that I was shelling out some serious buck (overly exaggerated) on the news. Ooh. I still out in the dog house on this, no hope of coming back anytime soon.
The moral story here is if you see something silly on the news, there is a very big chance it's just the reporter have no clue and it's not the original photographer tried to say.

Minh.
Loves from Viet Nam <3
My gear:
Scope: SkyRover (Kunming Optics) 152mm F/6 Doublets
Mount: JTW Tridents GTR
Camera:
PlayerOne Apollo M-Max
Quark Chromosphere Doublestacked with PST etalon
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks Minh, that is a sad story. We must try to remember not to read newspaper articles and believe them ;)

Alexandra

Rusted

Post by Rusted »

After having one of my home made telescopes displayed in the city reference library a reporter rang me up.
The resulting newspaper story was that I could produce a complete 8.75" f3.8, telescope mirror [from scratch] in only a couple of hours.
I wish! :lol:

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Reporters and the press/news-media are only in it for the money - money provided by those who read and believe everything they see/hear on such.

Unfortunately, unless each of those individuals have studied/learnt in a particular-way about any specific-subject, prior to their reporting and/or publishing anything about such subjects, then they will never be qualified to report/publish with any accuracy at all... :o

I have had many experiences of such nonsense/rubbish/inaccuracies via the press/TV-news reporters etc., specifically relating to aircraft-accidents over many years, especially where they pre-empt (often almost immediately) and long-before any formal accident-reports are published by the correct and knowledgeable authorities on that very-complicated and difficult subject.. I know that from my personal experiences over many years...

A bit like going to a G.P./Doctor and asking him/her to diagnose why your Hydrogen-Alpha Solar-Scope does not work well for Calcium-K/H etc.. :cry:

Believe the tripe at one's own peril (as with COVID too), is just another example of how the misleading press/media have for far too-long, have been controlling the minds of those who don't, can't or won't think and learn for themselves... :evil:

We must not go into politics on SolarChat, so "Here Endeth The Lesson." :bow

CLEAR SKIES and then do what we do best. :bow

Terry

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

ffellah wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:41 pm I can do that with less than 50,000 images

Franco :lol:
That many ?

I make it with 9 images ...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Maybe he put together a mosaic or made an animation with a total of 150,000 frames captured? :) This is not a problem for modern high-speed cameras. And the media, as always, made an elephant out of a fly.

Ivan

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Hi,

I have been reading many more articles about this mega 150.000 images and 30x times bigger then a normal photography and I decided ...

Anybody want to buy my Sun Imaging gear ? Please contact me via PM ...

This decision really brakes my heart and since Wednesday December 8th I am suffering from anxiety, get nightmares while I sleep and all day loing I am wandering around as I do not know what to do anymore ...

BTW nowhere I can see clearest details of this Sun image but I have found out I have been fooling myself since 2007/2008 and now I have to find out how I modify my scope to get the clearest ever taken picture like he did.
Filters are important, as such is the sun's immense power and light even from such a far distance away, that these filters are vital for preventing fire and blindness.

Andrew said: "To create the extreme magnification, I used a modified telescope. Combined, those photos allowed me to see the sun in incredible detail."
I feel devastated ...

Perhaps the newspaper just do not understand wht they are talking about.

How about telling them to llok into Solar Chat forum ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Today December 10th ago the Mirror in UK published this

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-new ... d-25664358

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

:lol: Yeh well Rainer - the day you sell your Solar-gear, I'll do the same as the Sun will no longer give us any light to image either. :lol: :D :lol: :D

Besides I have you to thank for leading me the way to try and get better images, so where would I go without you :( :roll: :?: (back flying instead)...

My first reaction on seeing the early comment in the English Daily Mirror is sadness - that they have bought that pathetic story from a U.S. press.

My second reaction is that, no doubt some person(s) will point his expensive camera at the Sun and catch nothing - after it is destroyed... !! :lol: :cry:
Oh yes of course - there is a very brief mention about Solar-filtering, but only for readers of the Mirror, who get past the interrupting adverts :!:

So, a significant amount of work by the amateur photographer eh :?: :?: WE on SC do numerous-times better in just a few minutes !!

"While the moon is more of a benchmark of how clear the skies are, the sun is never boring and it was a very good day on the sun that day."
Well I never knew that and especially as our Moon is not exactly a benchmark for any seeing conditions, as when it's so bright, it wrecks the rest of the seeing of the night-sky (more often than not)... So bright-clear Moon = 1 out of ten for dark-sky observation/imaging - surely :?: :?:
Besides if our Moon is actually up there somewhere and one can't see it, then the seeing is likely less than 1 out of ten, isn't it... :?:

So Rainer, don't be :cry: - there are better days ahead and images too, so why not take a look at SolarChat eh :!: :!: (or even the B.A.A. who have so nicely joined the affray - in supporting us :?: :lol: :?: :lol: :D :o :bow :hamster: :movie :band2 :band :beanie:

Regards
Terry

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

I thought that the "Mirror" should write in large letters at the beginning of the article, that any photographs of the Sun without special equipment and knowledge are dangerous and can lead to impairment and loss of vision.

Ivan

Rusted

Post by Rusted »

I feel your pain, but would prefer you do not blow up our moon. Except in the optical sense. ;)

Now all the newly blind can sue the advertising media [masquerading as insipid imitations of news channels.]

For failing to point out the need for SAFE AND APPROVED SOLAR FILTERS! :roll:

We weren't even told how to apply the thick dollop of orange marmalade [Fed Standard C595C 13538.]

To match "the sharpest picture ever taken of the sun." :D

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Amazing image taken over 20-years ago, maybe the benchmark for the media and the author of that image (which this post is about), should be aware of, as here on SC., similar or better images are available over the last 20-years...

Credit ESA/NASA image

Terry
Attachments
2001-04-23 18-37z.jpg
2001-04-23 18-37z.jpg (769.92 KiB) Viewed 685 times

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Montana wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:12 pm Wow! $50 for a print, I'd rather make my own. Anyone can have any of mine for free :lol:

Alexandra
Hi,

Interesting would be to see how much sharpness he has and perhaps if we join forces and invest US 10 each just to see the real result ? On the other side he has a lot of blank space around the Sun ... so we would be paying US $ 50.00 for just looking at 75% of Sky ...

IMHO Inverted coloured images will never show the sharpness as well as normal B&W images do.

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

I certainly agree about inverted/negative images Rainer. They are sometimes slightly confusing too.

The most I'd offer for one of those prints is £0-01p/1-penny/0.013 USdlrs, as long as he pays the postage to GB...!!!

Terry

AJamesB
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by AJamesB »

Eh, I've run into this guy from the solar image in the article a number of times on reddit, and he is routinely exaggerating how much work goes into his images. He used to constantly claim that he 'took 50k photographs' with such images, which would confuse people, wondering how on earth you take that many photos. He would completely ommitt the fact he was counting every video frame as a photograph, and then advertise his images for sale when those who didn't know better falsely assumed he'd put hundreds of hours into such an image.

When I tactfully tried to correct him and let him know I felt his methods of advertising were dishonest, he just dismissed it and said it was justified since he was 'helping others get excited about space'.

So, I'd say a little exaggeration by the media outlet, fueled by a decent amount of exaggeration/misleading by the maker of the image.

Lunt ls100tha single stacked + hinode solar guider on ioptron cem26 mount
asi178mm
asi294mm
2x, 3x, and 4x telecentrics
0.6x and 0.4x telecompressors
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

I bet he got the 50k figure, from looking at the properties and see that his image was 50-kilobytes in size and not 50,000 frames.

He sounds a tad pathetic in his apparent ideas...

Terry

minhlead
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by minhlead »

AJamesB wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:56 pm Eh, I've run into this guy from the solar image in the article a number of times on reddit, and he is routinely exaggerating how much work goes into his images. He used to constantly claim that he 'took 50k photographs' with such images, which would confuse people, wondering how on earth you take that many photos. He would completely ommitt the fact he was counting every video frame as a photograph, and then advertise his images for sale when those who didn't know better falsely assumed he'd put hundreds of hours into such an image.

When I tactfully tried to correct him and let him know I felt his methods of advertising were dishonest, he just dismissed it and said it was justified since he was 'helping others get excited about space'.

So, I'd say a little exaggeration by the media outlet, fueled by a decent amount of exaggeration/misleading by the maker of the image.
Well, in that case, it seems the guy was intentionally misleading. Which will not be the first astronomers to do so that I've seen.
Of the 10 years that I have dealt with astronomers/astrophotographers, I have find most of them (myself including) to be a bit nerd, awkward but good hearted or at least well intentioned. There's guy once saw something silly I have said on the online forum and PM me privately to not embarrasses me and gave me a 3000 words PM on the subject. Maybe that's why I am willing to give all the fellow astrophotographer a fair amount of doubt when it's come to their ill-intentions on the newspaper.
But yeah, a lot of astronomer like to brags about their work/gear to the interested (and uninterested) laymans (myself including). The only difference is that if it comes to something with monetary gain, i think he should be straight forward. The photo itself was okay, not the "finest ever" but an okay photo for what it worths. He can sell it for whatever amount he thinks fit. But he should be honest when advertising it.

Minh.
Loves from Viet Nam <3
My gear:
Scope: SkyRover (Kunming Optics) 152mm F/6 Doublets
Mount: JTW Tridents GTR
Camera:
PlayerOne Apollo M-Max
Quark Chromosphere Doublestacked with PST etalon
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks for that new insight :)

Alexandra