Google news: 150,000 images for sharpest image?

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Google news: 150,000 images for sharpest image?

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

I bet he got the 50k figure, from looking at the properties and see that his image was 50-kilobytes in size and not 50,000 frames.

He sounds a tad pathetic in his apparent ideas...

Terry

minhlead
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by minhlead »

AJamesB wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:56 pm Eh, I've run into this guy from the solar image in the article a number of times on reddit, and he is routinely exaggerating how much work goes into his images. He used to constantly claim that he 'took 50k photographs' with such images, which would confuse people, wondering how on earth you take that many photos. He would completely ommitt the fact he was counting every video frame as a photograph, and then advertise his images for sale when those who didn't know better falsely assumed he'd put hundreds of hours into such an image.

When I tactfully tried to correct him and let him know I felt his methods of advertising were dishonest, he just dismissed it and said it was justified since he was 'helping others get excited about space'.

So, I'd say a little exaggeration by the media outlet, fueled by a decent amount of exaggeration/misleading by the maker of the image.
Well, in that case, it seems the guy was intentionally misleading. Which will not be the first astronomers to do so that I've seen.
Of the 10 years that I have dealt with astronomers/astrophotographers, I have find most of them (myself including) to be a bit nerd, awkward but good hearted or at least well intentioned. There's guy once saw something silly I have said on the online forum and PM me privately to not embarrasses me and gave me a 3000 words PM on the subject. Maybe that's why I am willing to give all the fellow astrophotographer a fair amount of doubt when it's come to their ill-intentions on the newspaper.
But yeah, a lot of astronomer like to brags about their work/gear to the interested (and uninterested) laymans (myself including). The only difference is that if it comes to something with monetary gain, i think he should be straight forward. The photo itself was okay, not the "finest ever" but an okay photo for what it worths. He can sell it for whatever amount he thinks fit. But he should be honest when advertising it.

Minh.
Loves from Viet Nam <3
My gear:
Scope: SkyRover (Kunming Optics) 152mm F/6 Doublets
Mount: JTW Tridents GTR
Camera:
PlayerOne Apollo M-Max
Quark Chromosphere Doublestacked with PST etalon
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks for that new insight :)

Alexandra