December 22 2021 Observations. The Sun has the measles!!

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

December 22 2021 Observations. The Sun has the measles!!

Post by DeepSolar64 »

The session time was from 16:46 to 17:31 UTC. The skies are clear but the seeing is poor. The temperature is 45F ( 7.2C ).

Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS. 16x and 25x ( Ha )
I can see an impressive fourteen active regions/disturbances in the Ha chromosphere today. Nine numbered systems in the southern hemisphere and three numbered systems in the northern hemisphere. One unnumbered in the southern hemisphere and one unnumbered in the northern hemisphere.

AR12906 in the far SW is visible with certainty as a small low contrast plage. NE of it lies AR12907. I can just make out two spots and a filament within it. Immediately to it's east lies the bright irregular plage of AR12908 and just east of it lies the plage and spot of AR12909. Two easy filaments lie SE of these three systems. The SE quadrant shows 5 plages just east of AR12909. AR12913 SW corner, AR12914 NW corner, AR12912 NE corner and AR12917 SE corner. A scattered unnumbered plage lies between them! AR12917 is the easiest to see but I had no real issue picking out each of them. To the east of these five plages near the limb lies a plage and sunspot marking the position of AR12916.

Now to the northern hemisphere. The NE shows a line of three plages. AR12918 nearer the limb and AR12915 SW of it. Between these two numbered active regions lies an unnumbered plage that is just a little fainter to see. The plage of AR12911 is seen just across the CLM in the NW quadrant. I did notice three filaments in the northern hemisphere. One NE of AR12911 and two in the NW quadrant.

Though poor seeing made seeing fine details difficult I did notice some prom activity on the NW limb. A group of proms lies there and the northernmost prom looks to have a wisp of " cloud " over it. It's hard to see well. I also notice a tiny bright prom on the SE limb.

The mottles are visible across the disc but are a bit soft due to the poor seeing.

Orion 70mm Solar Telescope. 25x and 31.25x ( WL )
I can see ten areas of activity on the white light photosphere today! All of these are numbered systems. AR12906 is visible as a patch of faculae without spot or pore in the far SW near the limb. AR12907 is visible just to it's NE as a couple of sizeable penumbra bearing spots with a smattering of pores between them. AR12908 is nothing but a scattered mass of small spots and pores. A line of them is seen unresolved at this low power and poor seeing in the groups NW corner. AR12909 to the east or AR12908 is seen as two spots. I can see three spots in the SE quadrant. Near the limb lies the sizeable sunspot of AR12916 which even in this poor seeing shows umbra and penumbra with a patient close look. A smaller companion spot lies just to it's east close to a shimmering limb. Faculae surround the pair. Well NW of AR12916 lies a single visible spot of AR12912 and south of AR12912 lies the small spot of AR12917.

The NE quadrant shows two spot groups. AR12918 nearest the limb shows itself as three spots which takes patience to resolve during moments of better seeing. I can see associated faculae here too. To it's east lies two visible spots that are associated with AR12915. SDOHMIc imagery shows the westernmost spot to be double. Seeing won't let me clearly resolve it and higher magnifications don't yield better results. Just across the CLM I see a single tiny spot that is associated with AR12911.

The solar granulation is not noticed at all today. Seeing renders it practically invisible.

I was late posting today due to my wife having things for me to do. I posted after work from notes taken on my phone while at the scope as well as from memory and reference images. The Sun has gotten busy and it's a challenge to take down all that is observed. Solar Maximum is really going to be a challenge!

Carpe Noctem!

James

AstrSprcSeeing+GONGha+SDOHMIc_12-22-21.JPG
AstrSprcSeeing+GONGha+SDOHMIc_12-22-21.JPG (140.48 KiB) Viewed 304 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Re: December 22 2021 Observations. The Sun has the measles!!

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Thanks so much James for the interesting report.

Yes it is quite a challenge to remember and detail all that can be seen, with so many AR's (numbered or otherwise).

The spot count is somewhere up in the 40's today around mid-day... :bow

I guess that over Xmas - it will be even more difficult to make a count of either AR's or the spots, as not only is more activity on it's way :band (with some losses too), but the Xmas spirit (alcohol) may interfere !!! :lol:

Terry

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks James, that was a marathon run again and it is only going to get more busy (fingers crossed) :hamster:
The Sun is keeping you active :)

Alexandra

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

The Sun is keeping me really active! But I can’t complain. ☀️ 🔭 🤠

JP

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Good comparison, James, it seems to me that measles suits the Sun :)

Ivan

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Ivan wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:22 am Good comparison, James, it seems to me that measles suits the Sun :)

Ivan
It truly does!!! :lol:

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars