January 8 2022 Observations

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

January 8 2022 Observations

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Time of session is from 16:37 to 18:05 UTC. The skies are clear with below average seeing. The temperature is a cold 32F ( 0C )

Coronado SolarMax II 90. SS & DS. 32x and 50x ( Ha )
I can see 7 disturbances in the Ha chromosphere today. AR12924 is nearing the CLM in the south and shows two spots interlaced by plage. I can see two filaments within the system. The first is a curved one in the SW part of the system and the second is below the spot in the SE part of the system. I briefly noticed a third filament in the northern part of the system. It doesn't show on the GONG images and may have been short lived. A couple of filaments are easily seen just west of this system and two others well south of it. AR12925 in the SE quadrant almost due east of AR12924 is seen as a spot with plage on it's west side. Three filaments are visible flanking it in triangle formation. I see two more pale plages near AR12925. One NE of it and another NW of it.

Three disturbances are visible in the NE quadrant. A small but fairly easy one approaching the CLM and another one well east of it that takes a bit of study to see. The last one is just below a filament very near the limb. Surprisingly this emerging region is easier seen visually than it is in the GONG CT image. It's still not exactly obvious though.

In double stack I can see most of the prominences shown on the GONG CT image and in single stack I can see all of them! A bright one is observed on the SE limb and just north of it, hardly shown on the GONG image at all is a very tiny bright prom that is associated with an emerging active region coming around the limb there. It's actually just inside the limb! The NE quadrant shows three decent proms with the northernmost one having a sharp triangular shape that ever so slightly leans south. The NW limb has one that mirrors it's NE neighbor but is brighter and has a section of it still showing on the disc as a filament, so that makes it a filaprom!. The SW has two fairly bright prominence areas. Over the time I observed I saw the northernmost of these elevate up a bit and come together showing more void under it and for the lack of a better word had assumed a " dropsey " look in shape.

The mottles are easily seen across the disc, especially in DS and SS does make the limb spicule layer visible.

Celestron NexStar 102GT w/Altair wedge and 540nm Baader filter. 55x and 83x ( WL )
I got five disturbances on the 540nm photosphere today. AR12924 looks nice despite being blurred time to time by the seeing. It shows two SE-NW oriented sizeable spots with smaller pores between them. The SE spot shows a string of pores coming off it's SW side. The spots themselves show some mottling in their penumbrae in moments of better seeing. The NW spot shows an umbra that is arrowhead shaped, or for you Terry, shaped like a delta-winged fighter jet with it's nose pointing SW. More spots are fused into it to it's NE. I can see a slightly lighter patch in the penumbra in the southern part of the spot. The SE spot has a sizeable gap in it's SW section almost splitting it in two. AR12925 east of AR12924 I see as a lone spot with a pore immediately to it's SE. SDO high rez continuum imagery shows another very tiny pore very close SSW of the larger spot but I cannot see it visually. The spot shows umbra/penumbra structure with some mottling of the penumbra being visible in moments of better seeing. Two linear gaps are noted in the SE side of the penumbra. I can see a small spot very near the limb in the far SE. This is at the area a tiny bright prom is visible in Ha. The northern hemisphere shows a group of three tiny pores visible in moments of better seeing that is approaching the Central Longitudinal Meridian. Almost on the NE limb I can see a patch of plage indicating that something is emerging from around the limb there. A faint disturbance in Ha is also visible there.

The fine solar granulation is visible but comes and goes in clarity with the seeing.

Thanks to Pedro's Jazz music in his videos it's jazz for me today!

Carpe Lumen!

James

AstroSphericApp_Seeing_1-8-22.JPG
AstroSphericApp_Seeing_1-8-22.JPG (49.43 KiB) Viewed 210 times
GONGha+SDOHMIc_1-8-22.JPG
GONGha+SDOHMIc_1-8-22.JPG (161.39 KiB) Viewed 210 times
AR12924&AR12925_SDOHMIc_Greyscale_1-8-2217.04UT.JPG
AR12924&AR12925_SDOHMIc_Greyscale_1-8-2217.04UT.JPG (105.13 KiB) Viewed 210 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Re: January 8 2022 Observations

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Thanks James for your interesting report.

Terry

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

You are welcome, Terry.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Thanks James, we're a couple of degrees above freezing at the moment, woke to a frost though. I may be able to get a scope out today possibly...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
eroel

Post by eroel »

James:
Thanks for the report, had a chance to get some shots that day.
Regards,
Eric.

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

eroel wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:02 pm James:
Thanks for the report, had a chance to get some shots that day.
Regards,
Eric.

Eric,
I'll certainly need a view. I am under rainy skies today.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars