Green and Red Rim

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
SoumyadeepMukherjee
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Green and Red Rim

Post by SoumyadeepMukherjee »

The image captures a green segment on the top-left limb of the sun. Green rim is an optical phenomenon visible due to the refraction of sunlight through increasing density near horizon. The refraction of green light is stronger and thus a "green" sun can be visible higher than the "red" sun creating a green rim on the upper limb. On the other hand, the lower limb becomes reddish, which is known as the Red rim.

They do not last long and are not visible to unaided eyes. They are pretty faint and become most prominent when the sun is between 1° to 2° above the horizon.

A total of 4 images were captured with an interval of 3 seconds each.
Exif: f/6.3, ISO 100, 1/640s, 600mm
Gear: Nikon D5600, Sigma 150-600c lens
Date: 27th February 2021
Attachments
Green and Red Rim.jpg
Green and Red Rim.jpg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 329 times

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Green and Red Rim

Post by Montana »

Fantastic that you saw the green rim :bow :hamster: I've seen the green flash just once and it was spectacular. It lasted only a second but was the most intense emerald jewel. Just like in an eclipse where the prominences are like a ruby jewel. I was watching by eye and clicking the camera every second as well. The sight by eye far exceeded what the camera could take, it is a moment I will always remember :)

Alexandra

SoumyadeepMukherjee
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Montana wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:54 pm Fantastic that you saw the green rim :bow :hamster: I've seen the green flash just once and it was spectacular. It lasted only a second but was the most intense emerald jewel. Just like in an eclipse where the prominences are like a ruby jewel. I was watching by eye and clicking the camera every second as well. The sight by eye far exceeded what the camera could take, it is a moment I will always remember :)

Alexandra
Great to hear your experience, Alexandra! I'm yet to see a green flash. This was the only time I was able to capture a green rim, so far. Hopefully I'll get to see and capture green flash and share it here! ☺️☺️

christian viladrich
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by christian viladrich »

Very nice images !

The green flash is indeed visible with the naked eye. You need for this a distant horizon and very transparent atmosphere.
I've seen it at sea and also at mountain sites.

In excellent condition, it is possible to see the blue flash. This is very rare. I've have not seen it yet.

Christian Viladrich
Co-author of "Planetary Astronomy"
http://planetary-astronomy.com/
Editor of "Solar Astronomy"
http://www.astronomiesolaire.com/
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Excellent sequence of images!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
RKBerta
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by RKBerta »

Good and very rare catch on green flash. In my 74 years I have only seen it once.....naked eye. I was in a restaurant in Pismo Beach in California and saw it through a window. It was right on the water over the Pacific Ocean as the sun was setting. I remember that I was very impressed and quickly notified everyone in the restaurant how rare it was. Most were more interested in eating ;-(

80mm f6 Officina Stellare APO triplet, 152mm Officina Stellare f8 APO triplet, TV 85mm f7 ED APO, 8" SCT HD, 11" SCT.
Astro Physics 900 and 1100 mounts, Ioptron MINI Tower Pro ALT/AZ mount, ZWO AM5 mount,
Lunt 60mm Ha single stack, Coronado 60mm Ha single stack with BF 30
Day Star Quark Chromosphere
Player One Neptune mono with 178 chip, 256mm DDR, tilt plane for solar imaging
ASI 071 Pro cooled color for DS imaging
ATIK 490 EX OSC for DS imaging
SBIG STL 6303e mono with RGBL and Ha, SII, OIII filters for DS imaging
ASI AIR Plus

JPL/NASA Solar System Ambassador
Michigan Scout observatory manager
SoumyadeepMukherjee
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

christian viladrich wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:07 pm Very nice images !

The green flash is indeed visible with the naked eye. You need for this a distant horizon and very transparent atmosphere.
I've seen it at sea and also at mountain sites.

In excellent condition, it is possible to see the blue flash. This is very rare. I've have not seen it yet.
Thank you, Christian! Yes, blue flash is indeed very rare, I've seen very few images of the same!

SoumyadeepMukherjee
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

RKBerta wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:33 pm Good and very rare catch on green flash. In my 74 years I have only seen it once.....naked eye. I was in a restaurant in Pismo Beach in California and saw it through a window. It was right on the water over the Pacific Ocean as the sun was setting. I remember that I was very impressed and quickly notified everyone in the restaurant how rare it was. Most were more interested in eating ;-(
Thanks for sharing your experience!! Well, can't blame them if the food was good 😁😁

SoumyadeepMukherjee
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

marktownley wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:28 pm Excellent sequence of images!
Thank you Mark!