Imaging Cameras

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
rray6
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Re: Imaging Cameras

Post by rray6 »

I just want to jump in and say this has been a great thread. I am also in the market for a new solar camera (high res, fast frame rate, etc) and am waiting for the new PG USB3 models to come out. But in the meantime, I am learning a lot reading these posts. Thanks everyone!

Robert :thumbsup:

Robert Ray
Last night as I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky, I thought to myself -- "Where the heck is the ceiling???"

www.redshift48.com
Lunt LS80 DSII B1800 f/7
WO 132mm f/7
Celestron 9.5 Edge HD f/10
Stellarvue 80mm f/7 Raptor SVR80ST2
WO Z73ii f/5.9 APO
Lunt CaK B1800 Filter and Baader Herschel Wedge (Photo)
PGR Grasshopper 3.0 (ICX687 - mono)
Player One Apollo M-Max IMX432
ZWO ASI178MM and ZWO ASI174MM with filter wheel
SBIG STT8300M
ZWO ASI2600MC-P
Canon 5D Mark IV and Canon Rebel T7i
AP 1200GTO (Permanent) and iOptron CEM60EC and CEM25EC Mounts
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by thesmiths »

But I had thought ASTRO IIDC was no longer available? In any case, for scientific work, I am a PC person (despite having a MacBook Air for "non-scientific" stuff). With Windows laptops you can swap batteries, increase RAM, swap hard drives, etc while Mac's are typically a bit of a sealed box.

rico10

Post by rico10 »

Many thanks again Brian. I noticed a few things today, and learned a few on the net with the neximage. One is I didn't understand histograms, today I changed to a log based graph and used the gain a bit to get the histogram up to about 250. As well as I practiced using the dip found towards the dark end to help with focusing. Next I changed codecs to BYB and RGB24 and this solved the problem of the effect of looking through a mesh screen. As well my pear shaped sun is gone this seems to have been happening because some of the resolution settings are not 4x3 format. I choose 1024x768 and this also helped in that my frame rate options increase to just over 25/sec. on top of that I spent a little time with some old images in Registax and worked on the wavelet feature using the denoise function to alow for some better sharpening, although I over did it a bit. And your right about something else my answer usually to problems, work a couple more days in the field and buy it. Not going to happen anymore, I'll practice with the NexImage and maybe even try the DSLR after that, then when I get those down pat I'll consider upgrading to a higher resolution monochrome camera. Time to stop blaming the gear and get to work. Many thanks for the info. and some sound Philosophy.

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

"With Windows laptops you can swap batteries, increase RAM, swap hard drives, etc while Mac's are typically a bit of a sealed box. "

mainly because they are designed right from the start and you dont need to swap batteries, or increase ram...:)

if any of our posters Mac computers come through my hands, they will have ASTRO IIDC on them..

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
MapleRidge
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by MapleRidge »

Hi Rico...

Glad to hear you are progressing...learning how all this stuff works is the best way to make progress and a little help goes a long way too. Kinda like the old addage of giving a man a fish vs teaching him to fish ;)

I skipped over the starshoot camera....wasn't sure whhich model it was. If it is mono you should be able to get some decent images, especillay if it has the ICX285 chip (another nice chip, just not as high a resolution). If it will do a short enough exposre it would be worrth a try, but will be slow download rate...again, try it and see.

Don't hesitate to ask questions!

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Hi Stephen...

The Macs are great pieces of work...no arguement there, they just don't fit everyones taste (not unlike Scotch, some love it others don't appreciate it :lol: ).

I have only used ASTRO IIDC once (at your NEAF demo) and it looks to be an excellent program for the Mac. I'm sure some think it is defunct after several rumours of discontinued support.

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM