Camera news....

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
robert
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Camera news....

Post by robert »

http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/series/skyris/

Anyone had a chance to see these yet?
Robert

images and animations http://tinyurl.com/h5bgoso
2024 images https://www.flickr.com/photos/69734017@ ... 0313830045
2023 images https://www.flickr.com/photos/69734017@ ... 0304905278
ED80. ED100. Celestron-150mm-PST mod. C8 edge. ES127
LS60PT-LS60F-B1200. B600-Cak. PGR-Ch3-IMX265
Allcart
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Re: Camera news....

Post by Allcart »

I had a look online today. I'm not sure I would want one for solar. The exposure times don't look fast enough for my liking.

Allan
solar

Post by solar »

Had a quick look. I think Celestron has a basic re-brand of the DMK21-618 and the DMK51 cameras.
They have just upped the frame rate to 30fps. That's if if its possible to achieve at full res.
I use the DMK51 at 12fps so at least double would be good at 1600x1200.

Vixen 130ss SolarMax 90 BF30 EQ6 Pro, LX200 14, C8 CG5, Megrez80, Lunt 100 DS. EQ 8
ASI 120mm 290mm 432mm Lunt B1800 Cal-K + other stuff.

Skywatcher 150mm PST Mod2
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

I got a very interesting email from The Imaging Source thus evening...

Dear Stephen,

thank you for your email. We recently announced a long term partnership with Celestron. You can find
the press release here:

http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/b ... /20130702/

Going forward Celestron will take over the distribution of our astronomy cameras. The Imaging Source
and Celestron will still remain committed to outreach programs such as yours. I have already
forwarded your inquiry to the marketing manager, Mrs. Michelle Meskill; at Celestron. She will be in
touch to discuss our role for this sponsorship opportunity.

--
Best regards,

Sebastian Bollhorst
General Manager

--------------------------------------------------------
Sebastian Bollhorst / The Imaging Source Asia Co. Ltd.

6F-1, No.230, Sec.3, Ba-De Road
Song-Shan District 10555, Taipei City, Taiwan

Tel: +886-2-2577-1228 Ext. 116
Fax: +886-2-2577-1229

mailto: [email protected]
WEB: www.theimagingsource.com
--------------------------------------------------------

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Interesting thanks!

I do hope IS sponsor the programme Stephen, they have certainly had a lot of recommendations for their products from this forum alone, that is for sure...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
brianb11213

Post by brianb11213 »

Going forward Celestron will take over the distribution of our astronomy cameras.
Hmmm, I don't know whether this is "good" in so far as I was starting to suspect a lack of commitment from TIS or "bad" in so far as moving to a major brand probably dilutes customer support and might well signify a drive to lower cost devices at the cost of quality control.

Robin
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Robin »

I hope that the customer service is as good as IS, they have been brilliant in helping me with a rogue laptop that refused to accept my Cameras, guy named Stephan sorted it for me

Lunt LS60THa / B1200 / LS60Fha / DMK51AOU2 / DMK21AOU2 / Revelation 6 & 8" RC / Opticon Minitower 11 & Startracker / Mad Red Setter and understanding Wife
solar

Post by solar »

Any hint on prices. Will be easier for you guys in the states to get that info. :thanx:
Mind you I haven't looked on Celestron site.

Vixen 130ss SolarMax 90 BF30 EQ6 Pro, LX200 14, C8 CG5, Megrez80, Lunt 100 DS. EQ 8
ASI 120mm 290mm 432mm Lunt B1800 Cal-K + other stuff.

Skywatcher 150mm PST Mod2
Allcart
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Allcart »

Only price I have seen so far is here.
http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-skyris.html

I'm still thinking 0.05sec at full rez isn't fast enough, and I wouldn't want to reduce the frame resolution too much to increase the speed, even if its possible.

Allan
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

Well, even though I use their mounts and advertise their equipment to hundreds of thousands people per year, I have never gotten even a response from Celestron about any sort of sponsorship of CBSAP so I don't hold out much hope for one now. There is a reason that they are the most profitable scope retailer out there. I don't even bother trying to get tech support from them. I just throw away any broken mounts that I cant fix.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

the only reason I asked was because Point Grey has just given me 4 brand new cameras to give away to prospective outreach folks and I asked the Imaging Source if they wanted to match the sponsorship with four of their own for outreach. They did not. After giving away all 6 of the cameras I bought from them, the Imaging Source has been very good about giving me additional cameras to give away in the past but now that Celestron is involved I doubt that will continue.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

This is the email I also received (Imaging source)

Astronomy Cameras Special Announcement

The Imaging Source, a leading manufacturer of industrial imaging products, is thrilled to announce an exciting new partnership with Celestron, the world's #1 telescope maker. Building on the two companies' combined 75 years of experience, The Imaging Source and Celestron are proud to unveil their first collaborative effort: Skyris, a bold new line of USB 3.0 astronomical cameras.

The all-new Celestron Skyris cameras, powered by The Imaging Source, offer the latest astroimaging technology at an affordable price point. The first models, released today, include three unique Sony EXview HAD CCD sensors with resolutions from VGA to 2 megapixels, able to record at speeds up to 120 frames per second. Each Skyris includes camera control and post-processing software, a 1.5-meter USB 3.0 cable, and a 1.25" telescope adapter.

Read the full press release at:

http://www.astronomycameras.com/skyris/press-release/

Download detailed product information at:

http://www.astronomycameras.com/skyris/ ... formation/

hask
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by hask »

I have to admit I'm a bit scared for IS put their fate into Celestron, their (Celestron) support is crap! Lets hope they keep it two separate indenties.
And with this announcement of thier new cameras you'd think they'd invest into a 'Mac' version of the software but NO!
Here's what they say: "All Skyris cameras include Celestron iCap capture software and stacking software, for Windows systems only"

Just my $0.02.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I don't even bother trying to get tech support from them. I just throw away any broken mounts that I cant fix.

We need to get you a team of modders and fixers setup for you Stephen over there ;)

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Hmmmmm partnership with crappy service sound familiar to anyone? (Cough....Meade....cough.....Coronado....cough....crap)

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Dont get me wrong.... Coronado makes an amazing product! And I own a series 5000 Meade 127mm! The optics are sweeter than any view Ive seen. Split the double double in Lyra with ease on any night!

But together? Its kind of like a half glass of milk topped off with a half glass of water! Gets hard to stomach!

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

Coronado doesn't make anything anymore, undortunately. What was Coronado is now Lunt. Meade makes a decent product fashioned in a less expensive way to emulate what used to be Coronado. Still a good product but definitely not like it was.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
RobBower

Post by RobBower »

My friend John has an "old PST" its a nice piece of kit! Sad to hear that full change took place!
Meade and customer service should never be used in the same sentence........

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

However...... KW Telescopes in Kitchener has awesome service! And much like John...... Im driving my buddy out there to pick up his new Lunt LS60! Must be twins John? Arrived on the same day!
Mind you I gotta drive 4 hours to get it..... :hamster:

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

I'm a big fan of the brick-and-mortar Telescope stores. Unfortunately, there are only a few left. The last one in the state of Georgia, The Camera Bug, also has great service and is one of a very small group of vendors that support CBSAP. He offers 5% discount on scope purchases to forum members. It's hard to argue with a web site....

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
brianb11213

Post by brianb11213 »

I own a series 5000 Meade 127mm! The optics are sweeter than any view Ive seen. Split the double double in Lyra with ease on any night!
Sorry but that doesn't impress me much ... the unbranded Japanese 60mm f/11 refractor which was my first scope (bought for £15 in 1967) split the double double easily enough but its optics were far from perfect.

The situation with regard to customer support seems to vary depending on where you live; here in the UK Celestron support seems to be devolved to the individual suppliers whereas Meade has a central support point which works fairly well (probably better than Meade support in the USA). Hiding behind a major brand name maybe helps keep price tickets down but I'm pretty sure it doesn't help consumers much in the medium to long term.

The new "Celestron" camers look interesting (despite the supplied software being Windows only) but I have yet to see any prices. TIS USB3 cameras were priced competitively, cheaper than the older USB2 versions with the same chips, but seemed to be very hard to get hold of (a problem which is still a major issue with the Point Grey products here in the UK). It's tough when you see a well specced product at an affordable price & you still can't get hold of actual product!

oldfrankland

Post by oldfrankland »

OPT in southern California has posted prices with some informative photos. Needing to invest in a new computer will put off any purchases of one of their cameras, at least for me..... With the larger chip cameras, the additional frame rate would be nice, though.

http://www.optcorp.com/catalogsearch/re ... e&dir=desc

Robin
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Robin »

The way I have analyzed the prices / specification etc and need to purchase a new computer for USB3 my thoughts are - new laptop, new camera at a higher price than the equivalent DMK for only a minimal improvement on the finished result (image) iffy after sales service ( Imaging Source are great) no thanks, better spend the money on something else, unless you have money to burn :evil:

Lunt LS60THa / B1200 / LS60Fha / DMK51AOU2 / DMK21AOU2 / Revelation 6 & 8" RC / Opticon Minitower 11 & Startracker / Mad Red Setter and understanding Wife
brianb11213

Post by brianb11213 »

Hmmm. Taking as an example the monochrome camera with the Sony ICX274AL (1600x1200, 4.4um pitch) sensor:

Teleskop Service (Germany) is listing the Celestron Skyris 274M at 945 euro (same site has TIS DMK51 at 950 euro)

The Imaging Source site is still listing the DMK23U274 at 660 euro; adding German sales tax at 19% results in a retail price of 785.40 euro.

Now here's the significant difference for us solar types: the Skyris camera spec has a shortest exposure time of 1/200 sec which is WAY TOO LONG. The Imaging Source cameras go down to 1/10000 sec. Sure this is only software but these things matter.

I think it very unlikely I will ever be buying one of the Celestron Skyris cameras.

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Sorry Brian wasnt actually trying to impress anyone? Just saying my 127mm apo made by meade is without a doubt the BEST night sky scope I have ever looked through the I owned! The product is good! The service is pathetic!

Robin
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Robin »

Hi Rob I read you post and it did not occure to me that you were trying to impress, I am amazed that anyone should have thought that :?

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

:thanx: Im pretty new to this solar game and enjoy learning from everyone! Stepping on toes isnt my way. I was actually only saying I love my meade and it truly is awesome! I would just rather toss it in the trash and buy a new one rather than give them a penny more for their crappy customer service..... Nothing personal! In North America......its Fact!

For friendly service...... Call a tow truck driver because Meade sucks.

But now the have been bought by Explore Scientific..... So that might change?

Robin
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Robin »

That's how I read it. I am also new to this forum and find everyone very friendly and helpful, I hope you find that too

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Thats good to know!
So far everyone has been very helpful!
I might actually apply some of the hot tips and tricks I have been taught......if this cloud and rain ever passes long enough to set up!

brianb11213

Post by brianb11213 »

Hi Rob I read you post and it did not occure to me that you were trying to impress, I am amazed that anyone should have thought that :?
I wasn't intending to criticise anyone or anyone's kit in any way, just pointing out that the double double is not a serious test for a 5" scope.

Yes, I've heard good reports about the Meade 5" triplet apo scopes ... I'm not sure that they're the best on the planet in their size range, but they are certainly well above average and exceptional at their price point. Meade customer service would still worry me if I was to acquire one.

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Pheeeeew! :woohoo: Im glad I didnt offend you Brian! Surely wouldnt be my intentions ever!

If I could afford an AP or TAC.....Id get one for sure! Totally agree the Meades are not in the upper class of the Apos... Im just really pleased with mine..... And youre right! Because of customer service....Id likely buy elsewhere also!

So glad I didnt step in it with you!

:hamster:

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

:cheer: :rockon: You got it John!

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

well, luckily on this forum, being by invite only, we don't have to listen to all the "my scope's better than yours" crap you get from so many socially inept astronomers out there. Everyone in here has my gratitude and appreciation for their posts and I truly believe that everyone's images have a certain magic about them that is unique and special to the imager. Who's to say what is and isnt a great solar image? No one, in my opinion. They each have their magic.
Mother nature gives us this beauty all around us and we are extremely fortunate to have the health and finances to be able to watch, record and especially share it in whatever way we want to without fear of someone's overly negative critique.
I have taken many pains to make sure that this forum is supportive and promotes freely sharing of experience and knowledge in order to get the most people possible involved in this hobby. I have only had to remove one person since it started and that was for extreme and repetitive profanity. All in All, I think people realize what Im about and don't come here to brag or boast. They come to learn in a supportive environment. There are plenty of openings over at cloudy nights or ice in space if you want to read people treating each other badly and being way too competitive..:)
We all know there is nothing magical about doing these images, anyone can do it with a little practice and I believe it makes for a better world when you have more folks appreciating nature and science.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by thesmiths »

Back the subject of the new cameras: the 12 bit feature could be very useful. I have found 8 bit can be an issue sometimes. On the other hand, the exposure of 1/200 to 10 sec is terrible. For normal planetary imaging that would be fine. But obviously solar needs much shorter. And I've used my DMK cameras for deep space sometimes with much longer than 10 sec exposures. Hard to believe they would really restrict the exposure times to such a narrow range but if so, it's a big mistake.

donatpointgrey

Post by donatpointgrey »

Hi Brian,

...very hard to get hold of (a problem which is still a major issue with the Point Grey products here in the UK).

Not sure if you know this but we do have a distributor in the UK now, Clearview imaging. If you have any feedback about them, please PM me, I'd be happy to hear it. The point of having them there is to make it easy to get cameras to UK customers.

http://www.ptgrey.com/news/pressrelease ... icleID=531

Thanks,
Don

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

The posted max rate for the cameras is 0.005 sec exposure in the link to Skyris camera.

As for 12 bit better than 8 bit...I sued to believe that 12 was the only way to go, but having run 8 but cameras for the past few years for solar/planetary work I have no issues to force me to click the 16 bit data rate ;)

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM