I need a new laptop

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
axle01

I need a new laptop

Post by axle01 »

Looking to get a new laptop, i have just purchased a Grasshopper3 2.8 MP Mono USB 3.0 (ICX687) and in the spec it says I need a i7 but the computer shop salesman said that a i5 will do the job and i7 is old technology.

Any suggestions on what puter I should be looking for,,,,,,,,,thanks in advance.

Alan

RobBower

Re: I need a new laptop

Post by RobBower »

Seeing all the known issues with point grey cameras....I would go on there web site and read up on the recommended laptop for the camera you have! They give you the dos and donts! Best place to start really!

etatsolarchat

Post by etatsolarchat »

i5 is perfectly fine for me, but i7 couldn't hurt, whats most important is you need a fast hard drive, most likely SSD.

axle01

Post by axle01 »

i5 is perfectly fine for me, but i7 couldn't hurt, whats most important is you need a fast hard drive, most likely SSD.

What's SSD

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

You need the fastest writing speed to hard drive, so get a good SSD :) and the biggest one you can get as you will fill it in seconds :lol:

Alexandra

axle01

Post by axle01 »

You need the fastest writing speed to hard drive, so get a good SSD :) and the biggest one you can get as you will fill it in seconds :lol:

Alexandra

Alexandra when you say get the biggest one do you mean like 1TB ,,,,,,,, I really don't know much about computers.

Alan

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Yes a TB is good. 2 TB is better! These take big files! Require lots of storage!

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

I use SSD's in all my Macs. They are generally available up to 500GB which costs about $450US. bigger than that would be cost prohibitive. I dont think you can even get a 1TB SSD. Maybe, but the sales sites generally start at 128GB and go up to 500GB. They connect via SATA connections and you can replace your existing laptop or desktop HDD with one. The difference in performance is absolutely astounding.
My MacBook Pro boots in just under 5 seconds from a cold start.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
donatpointgrey

Post by donatpointgrey »

Sending an email to [email protected] and asking them if they have any recommendations may be a good idea too. Those guys get to hear about all the problems so they should be able to tell you if there is something to avoid :)

Don

etatsolarchat

Post by etatsolarchat »

Fairly certain if you buy any quality i5 or i7 laptop that includes a SSD you should have no problem whatsoever..

swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by swisswalter »

Fairly certain if you buy any quality i5 or i7 laptop that includes a SSD you should have no problem whatsoever..

I second that

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
axle01

Post by axle01 »

Thanks guys, Don I'll do that thanks.

Alan

solar

Post by solar »

Alan you have my number and email I think.
I just built one to run my Grasshopper 2.8. Very happy with it.
I am away at the moment on hol's so email me or I will be home in two weeks.
Ralph.

Vixen 130ss SolarMax 90 BF30 EQ6 Pro, LX200 14, C8 CG5, Megrez80, Lunt 100 DS. EQ 8
ASI 120mm 290mm 432mm Lunt B1800 Cal-K + other stuff.

Skywatcher 150mm PST Mod2