127mm Meade Triplet Mod

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
AndiesHandyHandies
Way More Fun to Share It!!

127mm Meade Triplet Mod

Post by AndiesHandyHandies »

Hi

I had second try with this PST Stage 1 mod.

After the first try I took the 2X ED barlow apart and Black2ed the holder.
Also the insides of the 4 2" etension tubes holding a front 2" filter, Baader 35nm.

This reduced the scattered light.

I have a 90mm F6.7 I bought a couple of Astro-Boot 1.25" 1.5X screw on Barlows (Put onto by Mark T). To get it to F10. They turned out to be different powers which may be useful.

I wanted a filter holder I could put in an extension stack to vary the power.

Luckily I found a Blue Fireball Technologies T2 Male and 1.25" Filter to T2 Female adapter.

This conveniently fitted between the PST AOK T2 adapter and the T2 to 48mm adapter to the 2X ED Barlow. Improved the scatter.

I tried to buy a couple of cheap Moonlight filters to use to hold my two 25mm Omega Bob 1.5A filters, so they could be used in different setups, simply screw in. They turned out to have nice steel holders but 23mm filters, Not the cheap plastic ones with 25mm filters as in my Vixen VMC110 PST adapter. However taking out the glass in one and screwing it into the T2 to 1.25" adapter was just right as a stop in front of Bobs 40nm 25mm ERF filter in the Collimator lens housing of the PST.

The problem was with back reflections off the Baader 2" 35nm on the front of the extension, which I used to reflect as much unwanted light away as possible before the PST etalon.

Using the scope without the Baader was OK. The Bobs 40nm ERF looks similar to the Daystar Combo front blocker, reflected hue, and it worked OK on its own at 127mm. And it does not have the back reflection problems of the Baader. Unlike the Baader it has full long IR blocking.

I had lent my Baader 2" UV-IR filter to Rod for his Bobs filter project and recently had it back. So I replaced the Baader 35nm with the UV-IR. This solved the back reflection problem. It must have a visible Anti-reflection coating on the back unlike the 35nm I presume. So BoBs ERF is relecting the out of band visible only.

Unfortunately Bob does not offer 2" version Rod said.

The seeing was not as good as my first try last week so could not see if the new set works as well.

Andrew

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: 127mm Meade Triplet Mod

Post by marktownley »

Sounds like you've been busy. Interesting to know about the variability in the astroboot barlows, like you say lends itself to more potential.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
AndiesHandyHandies

Hi

First light with the PST Mod:

The Sun looked like the first solar picture in Pedros Post after any equipment images.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26149

And with the Bobs filter 1 placed on the Beloptic KG3 under the eyepiece the surface looked similar to the first orange sun with a full box of yellow sun to the right. Bobs filter 1 is slightly above the H-alpha line to the longer end, I lost half of the proms which would be motion away from us I presume.

Andrew.

AndiesHandyHandies

Hi

The focusser tube extends 7ish cm beyond the extension tube stack with UV-IR at the front.
In my collection of filter step rings there was a 49 to 43 which screwed on the front seems about right to mask reflections.

I gave a second coat of Black2 to the bodge stop in front of the PST.

It was cloudy but clear gaps without contrail clouds. Slightly windy.

Rod said the background was good, better than his Zeiss. I have a bit of red with the Sun just out of the field.
Because the dew cap slides back its a bit shiny inside, Rod said people do not use dew caps for solar.

Rod converted a very cheap pair of Zeiss 45deg research grade microscope bino-viewers to 1.25" for me.
Rod reckoned he could see more Sun with them than the eyepiece. They have a collimator arrangement.
With those perched in the PST he said he could see more surface detail than on the Zeiss.

Unfortunately a tree intervened before I could have a look.

Andrew

AndiesHandyHandies

Hi

I have lent all my solar bits and telescopes to Rod to play with.

From his investigations with the ED 2x Barlow I was observing through the bare PST Etalon at F30.

So it seems to perform well in that configuration.

Look forward to a stage2 mod with 25.4mm Bobs H-alpha 1.5A Comb Blocker filter or Bobs 2 H-alpha 1.5A filters double stacked with the PST.

Andrew.

AndiesHandyHandies

Hi

First Stage 2 attempt.

The Collimating lens placed up the tube with extension tube bodge.

Double stacked with Rods set of 2 Omega Bobs 1.5A filters. Which put the focus about 200mm from the refocusing lens.

Reached focus OK.

Whilst no focusser after PST got a focus on the 9mm focal plane image.

Looked OK.

Need to get another Double Stack Omega Bobs setup made up with a low profile focusser.

Andrew.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Sounds like progress is being made!

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
AndiesHandyHandies

Hi

Thinking about a Stage 2 Mod on the scope without cutting the tube.

I want to use MarkTs idea to move the collimator up inside the current focussing tube so the PST Etalon can fit externally.

In the Vixen VMC110 Stage 1 Mod I moved the PST Collimator up a bit and I can reach focus for an eyepiece.
I can set the PST focusser in the middle and use the VMC to focus.
This assumes the moved forward PST Collimator produces a perfectly collimated beam so that the re-focusser is not aware the Collimator is further away and focussing is setting the eyepiece front focus at 200mm behind the re-focusser lens?

In the Stage 1 Mod try on the 127 I moved the PST Collimator up about 100mm and reached focus just using the 127 focusser.

However I presume that the focus might not be exactly 200mm after the Re-focusser, roughly that, so that the Collimator lens would not be exactly 200mm inside the 127mm original focus position.

Visually it looked OK.

Will moving the singlet Collimator forward affect the quality of the image anyway due to expansion of the beam?
Will having the singlet re-Focusser not exactly at 200mm from focus result in the singlet Collimator not being in an optimal position and so not producing a near enough collimated beam?

How much leeway is there on positioning?

Will using Doublet lenses be better? Produce a better collimated beam,and lower abberation re-focusser?

Andrew.

AndiesHandyHandies

Hi

Tried the Omega Bobs 1.5A filter as a replacement Comb Blocker.

I first tried on the Vixen VMC110 and with the filter well tilted to get its features out of field I got the proms with the PST tuner further round than normal.

Had to move to a prtable mount the get a glimpse in the 127mm over a tree.

Used various T2 extenders and a Blue Fireball T2 pass through filter to hold the collimating lens in its barlow nosepiece holder to reach focus on the 127mm.

Saw the proms straight away and sharper than the Vixen. Through the tree leaves.

Hopefully get another good day soon.

Andrew

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Sounds positive!

AndiesHandyHandies

Re: PST Blocking Filter modification unit by AOKSwiss

Hi

I have moved the PST Collimator lenses out of the Etalon.

I have put a tilted Omega Bobs 40nm ERF in place of the Collimator lens. This works up tp 127mm in my experience, though I have a tilted 2" Baader 35nm futher up the focusser with a 48 mm to 43mm step down ring as a baffle in front. And I have a Beloptik KG3 UV-IR 25.5mm in the eyepiece as well for visual.

The Collimator is in an old Barlow nose piece with 28.5mm thread which goes into various configurations used to move it forward to reach focus without chopping down tubes. A Celestron/Skywatcher plastic Moon filter is used inside as the mount. There are 20mm baffles infront and behind the Collimator lens machined out of the Barlow body. Another customised Barlow for the Vixen VMC110 or in a Blue Fireball T2 pass through filter with 28.5mm in the middle for the 127mm refractor. The thread is long enough to go through the adapter and a Blue Fireball 48mm to 28.5mm screws on at the front of a diagonal or 48mm extensions as needed to reach focus on the 127mm.

The Re-focussing lens is mounted in a Celestron/Skywatcher plastic Moon filter and screwed into the front of a Blue Fireball 48mm to 28.5mm which is screwed into the front of a diagonal which goes in a AOK Swiss rear PST adapter. The PST screw on holder acs as a baffle in front. You could mount a new blocking filter in the diagonal of a mod. I am using a Omega Bobs 1.5A H-alphas as a Comb Blocker in a diagonal housing mounted on a tilter. It works well for prominences as brighter than the PST Comb Blocker.

As the Chromosphere is brighter I will need to work on dimming it, a second Omega Bobs or DS PST?

Andrew,

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Hi Andrew, I moved the post above to this thread from the AOK blocker thread, it seemed out of context there, better to keep all detail in one thread.

Some pictures of how work progresses will help the dialogue here!

AndiesHandyHandies

Hi Mark,

Can I post photo here of kit few MB ro do I need to load into a photo site?

Andrew

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Either is fine Andrew :)

AndiesHandyHandies

Hi

I had a brief try on Thursday.

Achieved focus with the PST collimating lens moved forward. All my 2" extensions and a 2" nosepiece was enough.
2" Baader 35nm as ERF.

Just had Bobs filter 1 of two held loosely in a Celestron/Skywatcher moon filter holder.

Tuned in OK.

Two nice large prominences.

But a reflection partially over the sun.

Waiting for a modded diagonal to hold both of Bobs filters. I seem to luckily have a 'production' set as no internal reflection or artefacts.

Andrew.

AndiesHandyHandies

Hi

I purchased a -150mm and a 150mm set of lenses to use at F7.5 and full aperture.

First trial I forgot about having them so the collimator is -150mm inside the focal plane and the eyepiece 150mm after the re-focus lenses.

Did a first try.

I assume the two conditions above need to both be satisfied to get a sharp image.

Cheers. Andrew.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Yup :)

AndiesHandyHandies

Re: 127mm Meade Triplet and Quark mod

Hi

Been looking at the possibility of using a Quark in a collimated beam after seeing a HAT image with both a PST Mod and a Quark after a Tele-centric so why not the other way round?

So I had a try with -150mm and +150mm simple lens set I bought to try my PST Mod2 out on the scope.

I managed to set the -150mm about 150mm infront of the 25mm Clave' field stop.
And I just put the 150mm lens on the front of the Clave'.

People put 1.25x Glasspaths on the back of F8s for PST mods right in front of the PST etalon and assume its working at F10 so I thought to try the same.

It worked and I got a nice view of todays big prom in the Prom Quark. Fine tracery against a dark background.

Cheers. Andrew.

AndiesHandyHandies

Hi

For my 8mm collimated beam to go through the side of my Quark Prom I need a pair of -60mm and +60mm lenses. 8mm x F7.5 = 60mm.
Add a 7nm second ERF to keep things cool.

Laser2000 do two optosigma lenses in 20mm dia. Luckily the cheap Chinese filters I buy for use as 20mm stops with the glass removed are 20mm. And they sent 2 lots last time after delivery over-run.

Cheers. Andrew.

AndiesHandyHandies

Hi

Had a bit of testing today.

ED 2x barlow and ES 2x TE together are too powerful.

Did some testing on a TV repeater mast across the valley.

ED2x 200mm inside of the eypiece FP gives about 4x on the mast as it should.

I have a 2.5x GPC which will fit inside the nosepiece of the Baader TZ-2 so give that a try.

Fortunately I could with a Baader T2 diagonal, bodging the CPL into an extension tube already with filters in, get the required 200mm backfocus.

So something to try next time there is a bit of Sun.

Cheers. Andrew.

AndiesHandyHandies

Hi

Had the 127mm out today.

No luck with barlows and the bare PST.

With the +-150mm lenses I had a nice view of the proms present today and could see the kinked dark line with a bright part inside it.

Still had a slight off axis reflection so not a feature of the Mak.

Cheers. Andrew.