Easy PST Module with ERF (non-destructive, no cutting of OTA, & no-black-box rebuild)

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: PST, how to replace that black box?

Post by MalVeauX »

The 2" -> M36 adapter came in today, so the helical focuser can now sit in a 2" extension. Everything works and focused up nice.

Success!
PST_NoBlackBox_01_09092019.jpg
PST_NoBlackBox_01_09092019.jpg (133.89 KiB) Viewed 11239 times
PST_NoBlackBox_02_09092019.jpg
PST_NoBlackBox_02_09092019.jpg (70.09 KiB) Viewed 11239 times
PST_NoBlackBox_03_09092019.jpg
PST_NoBlackBox_03_09092019.jpg (209.12 KiB) Viewed 11239 times
PSTNoBlackBox_SetupSolar_09092019.jpg
PSTNoBlackBox_SetupSolar_09092019.jpg (109.06 KiB) Viewed 11239 times
Very best,

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

From right to left:

PST Etalon ->AOK Swiss rear PST adapter (2" barrel) -> 50mm 2" Extension -> M36 -> 2" Adapter threaded to a M36 threaded helical focuser -> 1.25" eyepiece nose with ITF threaded inside it -> M33 to M28 adapter -> PST eyepiece holder with 5mm blocking filter inside ->

Those items happened to hit the magical 8" roughly. The helical focuser does the rest.

The camera focuses as you see here.

To use it visually, I add a 2nd 1.25" eyepiece nose to the eyepiece inserted to give it another few mm to achieve focus.

Since I can control in focus range, I can probably get this to work with binoviewers (though is probably too much for that helical focuser). Also, no special low profile adapters or anything needed for the cameras. Seen here is an ASI290MM with its standard 1.25" nose. Since we can control the focus ranges, we can probably get any camera to come to focus, even a dSLR (not doing that thought!).

PSTNoBlackBox_Focus_Camera.jpg
PSTNoBlackBox_Focus_Camera.jpg (94.78 KiB) Viewed 11237 times

So, the option where I just have the PST with no black box and potentially still double stack it, works. So that's good. I can at least do this and put a SM40II on it without the internal prism and janky focuser. The helical is plenty precise for this imaging train and course image scale.

The next thing is to diassemble and extend the collimating lens out for use in another scope as a PST Mod.

I will also test it in my SCT with its D-ERF just to show a Stage II PST mod on the SCT that is straight through.

Very best,
Last edited by MalVeauX on Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Questions:

Are there any special coatings or ERF properties to the blue newer PST objective lenses?

Does a PST etalon need a particular ERF at all at 40mm aperture other than maybe a UV/IR block filter?

Very best,

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

The blue PST objective is just AR coated - no ERF qualities.
No need to add and upfront ERF etc with the 40mm aperture, the ITF at the rear is all that's required.

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
bart1805
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by bart1805 »

A set-up like this is quite ideal to check if the primary of for example your C8 is focussed the way it should with a PST mod. Just connect the train (the etalon and everything after that) and focus with the primary.

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Thanks all,

Interesting, I will try it out and report.

So the ITF is effectively the ERF in a system with small aperture that doesn't need an ERF (say 40mm aperture).

So I could also plug this directly into my ST80 stopped down to 40mm with no ERF with some extensions in front and eliminate the gold tube and objective? And then it would be a HA module that just slides in for full disc...

I wonder what the max aperture would be that the ITF can then handle?

And in a system with an ERF, the ITF is not needed, right?

Very best,

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Heya,

Got some testing in this morning.

I tested imaging straight through with the stock PST element and golden tube, and the replaced black box with the straight through design using the stock ITF and 5mm blocking filter. I used an ASI290MM camera so I had to do a 2 panel mosaic for the full disc. I was able to generate a flat field using a cereal bag over the front element. I didn't want to use IMX178 or similar sensors due to the weird grid patterns they produce in HA and the sensor is bigger than the blocking filter's diameter so I didn't want to fool with that again. Transmission was decent at 0.6ms 0 gain.

PST_StraightThrough_09112019.jpg
PST_StraightThrough_09112019.jpg (68.37 KiB) Viewed 11205 times
PST_FlatFrameCalibration_CerealBag.jpg
PST_FlatFrameCalibration_CerealBag.jpg (49.74 KiB) Viewed 11205 times
PST_StraightThrough_ITF_5mmBF_Transmission_SingleStack_ASI290MM_09112019.jpg
PST_StraightThrough_ITF_5mmBF_Transmission_SingleStack_ASI290MM_09112019.jpg (75.75 KiB) Viewed 11205 times

The next project is to extend the front collimating lens forward and use it in a refractor without cutting the OTA. I will test on my ST80 stopped down to 40mm first, as no ERF is needed there, just the ITF. But after I get a Baader Red CCD imaging filter, it will serve as the ERF and I will see about testing it on larger aperture refractors (I have up to 150mm).

To finish out this morning's tests, I also wanted to revisit the PST mod with the C8 SCT and Aires D-ERF. As Bart pointed out, it would be at the F10 focus point of an SCT in this configuration so I tried it out. I removed my crayford focuser and just used a 2" visual back. Inserted the AOK swiss adapters on both sides of the etalon and put it into the visual back. 8" back from there to my helical focuser and ASI290MM camera. Focused the primary mirror to focus. Used the helical inline to my camera to fine focus. Worked great. It has vignetting, but nothing a flat frame couldn't deal with, so I flat calibrated it and went from there. I left the ITF filter in line, but it's not needed, as I have a full aperture Aires D-ERF on front of this C8 Edge. So more testing to do there. Transmission was pretty decent (2.5ms with 0 gain).
C8_PSTMod_09112019.jpg
C8_PSTMod_09112019.jpg (55.18 KiB) Viewed 11205 times
C8_PSTMod2_09112019.jpg
C8_PSTMod2_09112019.jpg (86.11 KiB) Viewed 11205 times
C8_PSTMod3_09112019.jpg
C8_PSTMod3_09112019.jpg (53.45 KiB) Viewed 11205 times
PST_StraightThrough_5mmBF_C8Edge_DERF_ASI290MM_Transmission_09112019.jpg
PST_StraightThrough_5mmBF_C8Edge_DERF_ASI290MM_Transmission_09112019.jpg (79.96 KiB) Viewed 11205 times

Still more tests to do.

I think I need a larger blocking filter ideally for the C8 and the ASI290MM as I had to crop edges significantly as it was odd there.

Very best,

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

I did some more testing visually to make sure the scope was still useful. Straight through is perfect for imaging. For visual though, its still ideal to have a diagonal and a hat/cover. So I wanted to figure in a diagonal when needed.

I found that if I remove the 50mm 2" extension and insert a 1.25" star diagonal, I still can reach focus with the helical focuser and was using a 15mm 66* 1.25" eyepiece. Nice sharp view. So this works great for visual too, as if the black box was still doing its job, but minus that awful prism configuration.

So, the order is: PST objective & gold tube -> PST etalon -> AOK Swiss rear PST adapter -> M36 to 2" adapter (for the helical focuser) -> M36 1.25" helical focuser -> 1.25" nose with ITF threaded into it -> M28 to M33 adapter -> PST eyepiece cup with 5mm blocking filter -> eyepiece

So, 50mm extension inline and it's in imaging mode for both full disc and inserted into larger OTAs.
Without the 50mm extension inline, its in visual mode for standard use. And it will be ready for a SM40II double stack module.
And it's binoviewer friendly (though I don't trust that helical with a big set of heavy binos).

PST_diagonal_visual_09112019.jpg
PST_diagonal_visual_09112019.jpg (68.58 KiB) Viewed 11201 times
Very best,

Astrophil
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Astrophil »

Hey Marty,
That's a good looking mod, robust and quite versatile. Images turned out well as proof.
Either I missed something or I just don't understand. How did you attach the ITF to the 1.25 nose and was the m28 to m33 a custom adapter?

Phil

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

You've done a great job there Marty, nice engineering solution.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Astrophil wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:41 am Hey Marty,
That's a good looking mod, robust and quite versatile. Images turned out well as proof.
Either I missed something or I just don't understand. How did you attach the ITF to the 1.25 nose and was the m28 to m33 a custom adapter?

Phil
Hey Phil,

The ITF threads into an eyepiece nose (1.25"), which is M28 I think? It has a little trouble initially threading, but if you file down the initial few threads it goes right in smooth after that. I have it separate from the eyecup holder. The cyccup holder has the blocking filter and is M33. So I use a M33 to M28 adapter to step it down to typical 1.25" stuff. I'll get some pictures of it all this weekend.

++++++++++++++++++++

Here's the ITF threaded into a 1.25" nose:
PST_adpated_BF_ITF.jpg
PST_adpated_BF_ITF.jpg (116.33 KiB) Viewed 11125 times
Very best,
Last edited by MalVeauX on Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

Marty,
As you're still using the PST 5mm blocking/sort filter why change the ITF? I would have thought the original built in ITF would have done the job??

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Merlin66 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:14 am Marty,
As you're still using the PST 5mm blocking/sort filter why change the ITF? I would have thought the original built in ITF would have done the job??
The original one I had, the ITF was part of the element (red lens) and the eyecup didn't have an ITF in it. The new one has a blue element and an ITF filter was added in that chamber. I have the two scopes and harvested parts, as the etalon that came with the newer PST has a decontacted etalon (at least I think?). My understanding was that the ITF was needed before the blocking filter with the blue element PST lens. But if that's not needed at all, I'll happily remove it.

+++++++++++++
+++++++++++++

On another note, speaking of PST mods. I'm wondering, if I take this into a 60mm F10 scope, I can get a solarmax 60mm ii module and use an adapter to thread it the new scope (like my ED80 stopped down to 60mm, producing F10) and it would effectively be a good 60mm double stack right? In this situation, does the front etalon have an ERF that would allow me to then also remove the ITF filter all together?

Are there any situations i can remove the ITF filter in a single stack use without a front mounted ERF?

Very best,

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

Marty,
Belt and braces....gives some added safety.
You can never be sure of the capabilities of the ERF - some are better than others.
Don’t take the risk.

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Merlin66 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:06 am Marty,
Belt and braces....gives some added safety.
You can never be sure of the capabilities of the ERF - some are better than others.
Don’t take the risk.
Strictly for imaging purposes for context, would you still use the ITF with a Solarmax 60 II module stacked in front of a PST etalon in a 60mm F10 scope with a blocking filter?

Also, what do you think of doing a SM 60 II etalon on an ED80 with a PST etalon mod inserted into its focuser? Worth while? I've never seen these types of etalons mixed or talked about so not sure if it's something that wouldn't work well or not matched well. I figured, the SM 40 II mixes with a PST etalon, so if I scale the PST etalon up to 60mm F10 with a scope and then put a SM 60 II etalon on the front of it, it's a double stack 60mm at F10 and should be ok, but I'm not sure.

Very best,

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

Marty,
I use a SM60 on an ED80 with a PST etalon as a double stack.
I also use a BF10 diagonal....so effectively an ERF up front and a second in the Coronado BF.
No issues, no drama.
Using the PST etalon and SM60 is not to much different from adding a front etalon to a SolarMax II.

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Merlin66 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:39 am Marty,
I also use a BF10 diagonal....so effectively an ERF up front and a second in the Coronado BF.
No issues, no drama.
Using the PST etalon and SM60 is not to much different from adding a front etalon to a SolarMax II.
Excellent to know, I think I will go this direction, rather than a SM40II so that I can have better resolution and the scope can be used to do more wavelengths, being a versatile modular system. Thanks!

Very best,

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Merlin66 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:39 am Marty,
No issues, no drama.
I sent you an email regarding this configuration. :)

Very best,

Astrophil
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Astrophil »

Thanks Marty,
I will give it a try if I can souce an adapter (m33 to m28.5). Do you remember where you got yours?

Phil

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Astrophil wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:38 pm Thanks Marty,
I will give it a try if I can souce an adapter (m33 to m28.5). Do you remember where you got yours?

Phil
Hey Phil,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143365782389

That's the one I got.

With a little work, it threaded into a typical 1.25" eyepiece nose. It lets me step down the eyecup and blocking filter, regardless of the ITF, to work in standard equipment.

That M33 is the same threading found in typical cheap 1.25" star diagonals. So if you didn't want to even bother with this adapter, just get a cheap old celestron 1.25" star diagonal and the eyecup stalk with the ITF & blocking filter, straight off the black box of a PST, will thread right to the diagonal and you can just use it like that too. Still eliminates the black box. I just went the extra step to remove all extra glass for imaging purposes. For visual, I insert the diagonal again as seen above.

And if anyone cares, here's the cheap 2" to M36 adapter that comes with a helical focuser (same thing found on any typical guidescope package by the way, its decent for light loads):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HR ... UTF8&psc=1

+++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++

So far, the brightness/transmission is higher, significantly so, than when it was stock. That internal prism was doing something. I'm not sure if each surface robbed transmission or what. I think it's a pentaprism if I recall. But maybe each surface soaks up a little transmission. Either way, before, I was at 10ms. Now I'm at 0.6ms with a straight through configuration and the same blocking filter, same ITF, etc. Visually its nice and bright. I just used it and could see plainly proms nicely that were feint when I compared to what's on GONG.

Very best,

Astrophil
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Astrophil »

Thanks again Marty. Adapter ordered, should be here next month. Good luck with your mod.

Phil

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Lovely little visual setup without the black box, so much sharper than before.
PST_NoBlackBox_Visual_09152019.jpg
PST_NoBlackBox_Visual_09152019.jpg (90.11 KiB) Viewed 11085 times
Very best,

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Update:

I got all my bits and bobs together and was able to do some proper testing today.

I measured my ED80 and C6R's focus points so that I could see the overall distances to get to the magical -200mm in focus for the PST collimating lens. Turns out, with my focusers, all I needed was 1.25" roughly into the tube, and no space into the tube on my C6R (it was previously chopped for binoviewer use). So I only needed the AOK swiss adapter for the distance, and brought the collimating lens out to the tip, which kept me from having to chop 60mm or so off my OTA of the ED80 which is unmodified. The PST module I built came to focus nicely. Worked great. I stopped the ED80 down to 52mm with its internal stock cap making it around F11 or near that. Once I get a SM60 module on there it will be F10 exactly. But the test worked. I then tested with the C6R and it came to focus nicely, the resolution and detail was great! Visually both were very satisfying with good contrast. I could make out surface spicules and the limb proms no problem, was quite nice and bright. I didn't need a big expensive D-ERF either. I used an internal 50mm Baader IR CCD-R red imaging filter as an ERF and it worked great. I can insert this module into my ED80 for full disc, C6R (stopped down to 120mm F10) for high res visual and imaging, or my C8 Edge for high res imaging no problem without having to change much. Quite nice! No chopping of my OTAs. Works in all the instruments.

My next step is to get a 10mm blocking filter, got one on the way, found it used.
After that, if things look good, I will get an adapter from PreciseParts and a SM60II DS etalon to allow for full disc DS visual and imaging on the ED80.
Then... I'm done with HA and it's on to Cak...

Here's the module, completed as of now.

I extended the front collimating lens out away from the PST etalon with the AOK Swiss front PST adapter. It was about 1.25 ish inches, so it was just right. I threaded the stock PST collimating lens and its internal holding disc into the M48 threads. I used a gender reversal adapter to then give it female threads. I then used a 2" spacer that is about 0.5" to give it more room and with female threads which allowed me to then thread the Baader 2" Red CCD-IR imaging filter on there, which acts as the primary D-ERF. This D-ERF internally can handle a 150mm aperture refractor no problem, as I've done this in the past with HA and CaK with this very C6R. No need for larger D-ERF nor up front with this module in 6" or less instruments (refractors only at this point).

Currently the ITF and stock 5mm blocking filter are still in line in the rear with the AOK swiss rear adapter followed by a 2" to M36 helical focuser and a M33 to M28 adapter to step down the PST eyecup with its stock BF and all that to use. Straight through. No prism. No black box. Currently this module is a stand alone that can be inserted into any of my OTAs and used vsually or for imaging without having to change much and I don't have to chop up an OTA to get it to work. Universal and modular.

Test 1

The first test was to remove the PST golden tube and 40mm objective and replace it wth another OTA. In this case, the venerable ED80, and in doing so, without having to cut the OTA. This is an ED80 with a GSO dual speed focuser. To get it to F10 (or longer) I just used the stock lens shade internal cap which is about 52mm in aperture so its around F11ish give or take. Good enough. I measured the focus point and it was about 1.25" into the focuser. The module is already set for this. Inserted it. Helical focuser allowed fine focus. It achieved focus no problem for visual and imaging. Visually it was great, good contrast, bright, full disc image with a 15mm eyepiece. Imaging, with the ASi290MM, I had to do a mosaic to do full disc, but was still good for this initial test. Can't wait to double stack it.

Here's a full disc mosaic made with the above ED80 + PST modular setup with an ASI290MM under poor seeing with the stock 5mm blocking filter:

Test 2

The next test was then to insert this modular PST kit into a C6R, 150mm F8 achromatic refractor with its stock lens shade internal cap removed which stops the scope down to 120mm F10 which makes it perfect for PST mod use. It again came to focus no problem, and provided a wonderful visual view and was great for imaging. This OTA was cut previously for binoviewer use, but if I had to extend it, it would have been fine as I have extensions.

Here's a limb shot with the 120mm F10 (C6R stopped down) and the PST module kit above. The internal 50mm D-ERF (baader red imaging CCD-IR filter) worked great and handled all the heat with the module. No costly front mounted D-ERF needed here.

This scope will double as my CaK scope when I get my next filter ready for 393.4nm with 6" capability on the aperture. I will primarily use this when seeing is poor and there are good proms.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Next up with be an adapter and SM60II DS etalon to add to my ED80 for visual & imaging in HA.
Then, I will explore a CaK lunt module (1200 probably) to go from there.

Very best,

MalVeauX

Re: Easy PST Module with ERF (non-destructive, no cutting of OTA, & no-black-box rebuild)

Post by MalVeauX »

Another update:

I picked up a Coronado (pre-Meade, old one) 10mm blocking filter for a good price. The filter is good and the ITF looks fine. Transmission is lower than my stock PST one, but only by a little bit, still able to image sub 10ms and with zero gain both for full disc and at high resolution, so it's a keeper. Checked it out visually first, it was great. Then went to testing it for imaging. Was hoping it would help with full discs with a larger sensor and it did. And hoped it would help a little bit with the larger apertures, but there's still some work to be done there to get all the tilt and issues out. Still working on that. Hopefully will be able to source a SM60II module next.
ED80_PSTMod_10mmBF_09232019.jpg
ED80_PSTMod_10mmBF_09232019.jpg (66.78 KiB) Viewed 10971 times
PSTModule_10mmBF_120F10_09232019.jpg
PSTModule_10mmBF_120F10_09232019.jpg (60.38 KiB) Viewed 10971 times
ED80 with the PST module & 10mm BF and IMX174 sensor (full disc FOV)

120mm F10 achromat with PST module with 10m BF and 290MM sensor

C8 Edge + Aires D-ERF + PST module with 10mm BF and 290MM sensor

Very best,

MAURITS

Re: Easy PST Module with ERF (non-destructive, no cutting of OTA, & no-black-box rebuild)

Post by MAURITS »

What a great review Marty.
In the first place you need for sure the knowledge to make such a pst etalon, looks on the first sight difficult.
The results are awesome.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

MAURITS wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:05 pm What a great review Marty.
In the first place you need for sure the knowledge to make such a pst etalon, looks on the first sight difficult.
The results are awesome.
Thankfully fine folk here on S.C. lend their wisdom, as this stuff isn't really intuitive unless you know what each component is and is doing and that's not really published by the manufacturer.

Next I want to mod the new 10mm blocking filter to also be straight through to eliminate that mirror being in the imaging train.

Very best,

george9
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by george9 »

For the 10mm blocking filter, will you skip whatever the mirror is accomplishing? I am guessing it is redundant with your red CCD filter. E.g., in current Lunts, it passes IR out the system instead of reflecting it up into the eyepiece. Not sure about pre-Meade Coronado, but it is the same team. Not sure exactly what my early pre-Meade blocking filter (Prom15T) mirror does.

George

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

I tested the Coronado BF15 mirror with the spectrograph some time ago and found as you say it's a IR reject mirror.

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Merlin66 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:22 am I tested the Coronado BF15 mirror with the spectrograph some time ago and found as you say it's a IR reject mirror.
george9 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:07 am
For the 10mm blocking filter, will you skip whatever the mirror is accomplishing? I am guessing it is redundant with your red CCD filter. E.g., in current Lunts, it passes IR out the system instead of reflecting it up into the eyepiece. Not sure about pre-Meade Coronado, but it is the same team. Not sure exactly what my early pre-Meade blocking filter (Prom15T) mirror does.

George
Good points, so if I already have a filter that is rejecting long IR wavelength, it accomplishes the same thing then?

Very best,

george9
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by george9 »

For imaging I expect it is fine. The red-CCD should cover what the camera should be sensitive to.

For visual, I am just not that well versed in near-, intermediate, and far-IR. The Lunts are very redundant for safety I know (so that, for example, forgetting the blocking filter doesn't blind you). What I understand is:

KG3 covers intermediate and far IR
UV/IR coated KG3 covers all IR
Baader red-CCD covers near and intermediate IR to 1200 but not longer
Baader 35nm H-alpha covers near and intermediate IR to 1200 but not longer

(By the way, I noticed Baader has a disclaimer never to use their 35nm as an internal ERF, not that they say it will fail.)

George

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

george9 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:24 pm
(By the way, I noticed Baader has a disclaimer never to use their 35nm as an internal ERF, not that they say it will fail.)
I think, with 99.9% certainty, this is to prevent someone from pointing this filter, at focus, at the sun as a stand alone "Ha" filter thinking it's meant for that and not just a night-time filter. Many use this filter in the light beam, but not at focus, as an ERF and it's the ideal one actually.

Very best,

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

Yes,
I saw that .....
As we keep saying solar mods are non standard and should be treated with extreme caution.
We are stretching the envelope.....always opt for the safest option.
I personally think all ERF and sub ERF for H alpha should be Baader D-ERF filters.

Rusted

Post by Rusted »

Marty,

Thanks for your interesting post on the mechanics of PST modification.
If only it were that easy! Then we would all be able to match your exquisite results with the same "kit of parts." ;)

I see you use an aperture stop on your 6" f/8 to provide a true 120mm @ f/10.
My [rather limited] understanding is that a faster [f/8] telescope is self-limiting to f/10 by means of geometry alone.
This being due to the f/10 correction optics of the PST etalon lens group.
They won't allow an angle of incidence larger than an f/10 light cone to pass.

Do you consider is there is any particular advantage to stopping down the objective?
Reduced internal heating perhaps? Stray light reduction?

An internal D-ERF can/should only be placed where the F/8 light cone falls within its clear aperture.
Too near the objective and the light cone will heat the D-ERF supporting baffle and cause vignetting due to annular overlap.

Perhaps the 120mm aperture stop will allow a more forward placing of the D-ERF?
Less intensely focused heat, nearer the objective, due to the larger illuminated area?

Thanks
Chris

http://fullerscopes.blogspot.dk/

H-alpha: Baader 160mm D-ERF, iStar 150/10 H-alpha objective, 2" Baader 35nm H-a, 2" Beloptik KG3,
Lunt 60MT etalon, Lunt B1200S2 BF, Assorted T-S GPCs or 2x "Shorty" Barlow, ZWO ASI174.
MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Rusted wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:05 pm Do you consider is there is any particular advantage to stopping down the objective?
Reduced internal heating perhaps? Stray light reduction?

An internal D-ERF can/should only be placed where the F/8 light cone falls within its clear aperture.
Too near the objective and the light cone will heat the D-ERF supporting baffle and cause vignetting due to annular overlap.

Perhaps the 120mm aperture stop will allow a more forward placing of the D-ERF?
Less intensely focused heat, nearer the objective, due to the larger illuminated area?

Thanks
Chris
Hey Chris,

The thermal load alone is a consideration. If I left it 150mm F8 and just reduced to F10 at the collimating lens, the thermal load is that of a 150mm still in the tube at least (not the same at focus of course). I think it also matters for focus, but only by a little bit, and the collimating lens is rather specific, my understanding is that the angle of the rays of light are different at F8 than at F10 in the same -200mm position, but I'm not well versed enough to really speak to it beyond that, or I think everyone would avoid cutting their OTA tubes and just let the collimating lens do the F10 thing, but I don't think its that simple.

Very best,

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Rusted wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:05 pm
Do you consider is there is any particular advantage to stopping down the objective?
Stopping down an objective also reduces spherical aberration. There will be less Spherical Aberration with a 150/8 stopped down to 120, than with a 120/10 operating full aperture.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Rusted

Post by Rusted »

Thank you both for your responses. I shall try stopping down my 150/8 H-a 'scope.

Though an umbrella might be a better mod given our present run of wet weather. :roll:

http://fullerscopes.blogspot.dk/

H-alpha: Baader 160mm D-ERF, iStar 150/10 H-alpha objective, 2" Baader 35nm H-a, 2" Beloptik KG3,
Lunt 60MT etalon, Lunt B1200S2 BF, Assorted T-S GPCs or 2x "Shorty" Barlow, ZWO ASI174.
bart1805
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by bart1805 »

MalVeauX wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:47 am Next I want to mod the new 10mm blocking filter to also be straight through to eliminate that mirror being in the imaging train.
With the Coronado BF's, the part with the valuable BF is not threaded, it is just glued to the bottom of the eyepiece holder. First remove the BF itself. Then use heat to loosen the glue and you will be able to pop the piece out of the holder.
With Lunt BF's it works basically the same. But the Lunt piece has a T2 thread you can use.

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

bart1805 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:15 pm
MalVeauX wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:47 am Next I want to mod the new 10mm blocking filter to also be straight through to eliminate that mirror being in the imaging train.
With the Coronado BF's, the part with the valuable BF is not threaded, it is just glued to the bottom of the eyepiece holder. First remove the BF itself. Then use heat to loosen the glue and you will be able to pop the piece out of the holder.
With Lunt BF's it works basically the same. But the Lunt piece has a T2 thread you can use.
Thanks!

Prior to this I had attempted to gently unthread it, but it didn't budge so I didn't force it until I found more information. I will have to try this soon.

Very best,

daslolo
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by daslolo »

Would a 2" 2x barlow at the focuser of a f/5 refractor effectively turn it in a f/10
Then slide in the PST mod

Like this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BRLT4LB/re ... tEb17Y1QZQ

PST on its way to modding heaven
Quark + Orion 120mm + beloptik
LX65 8" ACF
Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

Daslolo,
Probably not. The standard PST mod needs the etalon to be at -200mm inside the focus. Don't think you'll achieve that spacing with a normal Barlow.
You could replace the front lens of the PST assembly with a shorter negative focal length lens....

daslolo
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by daslolo »

Merlin66 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:40 pm Daslolo,
Probably not. The standard PST mod needs the etalon to be at -200mm inside the focus. Don't think you'll achieve that spacing with a normal Barlow.
You could replace the front lens of the PST assembly with a shorter negative focal length lens....
So a negative focal length lens would also turn the convergent rays parallel to go inside the etalon like a plano-concave lense?
And where do I find such thing.
Also where do we find adapters between various M? M32 to M42 female female is my current quest :)

LX65 8" ACF
Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

AOK Swiss supply a 2" to M50 male nosepiece which fits the PST etalon assembly and a rear adaptor M50 female to 2"
http://www.aokswiss.ch/index_sonne.html
Edmund Optics probably have a suitable negative lens...you're looking for a 25mm diameter, negative focal length = 20 x focal ratio i.e. for an f5 scope use a -100mm fl at -100mm inside focus.
https://www.edmundoptics.com.au/p/250mm ... lens/5538/

daslolo
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by daslolo »

Merlin66 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:17 am AOK Swiss supply a 2" to M50 male nosepiece which fits the PST etalon assembly and a rear adaptor M50 female to 2"
http://www.aokswiss.ch/index_sonne.html
Edmund Optics probably have a suitable negative lens...you're looking for a 25mm diameter, negative focal length = 20 x focal ratio i.e. for an f5 scope use a -100mm fl at -100mm inside focus.
https://www.edmundoptics.com.au/p/250mm ... lens/5538/
Thanks Ken, where is the adapter that houses the lenses on a 2" tube? (M50 i guess)

You have a spectroscope, what's the reading on the costing of the pentaprism in the PST?

And this double layer filter cube lodged before the eyepiece?
Double layer filter
Double layer filter
A84DF265-A3BB-4331-93FB-3823B2FC5A1C.jpeg (279.98 KiB) Viewed 9292 times

LX65 8" ACF
Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

Daslolo,
The PST etalon assembly with the M50 thread front and back is used with the AOK swiss adaptors. The 2" nosepiece mounts to the telescope and the 2" rear female is used to add spacers and final blocking filter.
The pentaprism seems to be AR coated.
The small red filter you show is the final narrowband sort filter. There should be a highly reflective filter element (ITF) at the inner end of the eyepiece holder - this acts as an erf. The combo of the ITF and final sort filter makes up the "blocking filter" assembly.

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

daslolo
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by daslolo »

Thanks Ken.

I'm only modding the black box out, for now.

The pentaprism offers added protection, so be mindful of that when modding. I know it because I could feel something in my eyeballs in the mod, then nothing when I put back the stock PST. Through binos so I'm halving per eye exposure which means the penta must reduce exposure by a LOT.
In this context Diane's blog is important.
This Diane blog got me reading some science yesterday night! Our tolerance to IR isn't bad, decay seems slow and can be felt. Diane's numbers are missing the /cm2 so they're not useful out of the context of her blog, they only provide a ratio of blocking with and without the BK filter. This filter I'm not seeing in any of the mods, why is that? Have you guys measured the actual output after mod?

What's a narrowband "sort" filter? Couldn't find anything on sorting light.
Why is it made of two layers: one golden reflective and one red block?
Is the gold the ITF (metal deposit)? ref: https://luntsolarsystems.com/equipment-care/
Is the ITF a blocking filter, is ITF = BF?
It's tiny, about 4mm across, does it mean the PST is rocking a B400, is that what B stand for in the lunt and coronado diagonal (Blocking)?
And why is the ITF in the diagonal and not in front of the etalon to protect it from heat and UV, from decay.
What is the other filter that's about 17mm in diameter which is in the tube that's holding this eyepiece holder? Is it the ERF like those expensive Baader everyone talks about?

Pedro's youtubes are only slideshows, I didn't find any value in it. Value is in understanding why things are where, or for those who can't be bothered with that, where to get the parts.

LX65 8" ACF
Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

Daslolo,
""What's a narrowband "sort" filter? Couldn't find anything on sorting light.""
The etalon produces a "comb" of light across the whole spectrum....each "tooth/ peak" section about 0.7A wide and separated from it's neighbour by 10A. One of these "tooth/ peaks" is very close to H alpha, and to suppress all the others while just letting the H alpha go through is the job of the final sort filter. It has a bandwidth less than the separation.

"" What is the other filter that's about 17mm in diameter""
This is the ITF filter ( induced transmission filter) which was introduced by Coronado when they changed design away from the original ERF coated objective. It acts as an ERF, protecting the final sort filter.

On PST mods, to reduce the incoming energy before the etalon, an effective ERF should be fitted to ensure adequate safety.

daslolo
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by daslolo »

Thanks again Ken, I am starting to understand how it all works now.

It seems that adding another sort filter could narrow the total bandpass of the scope even more if, by gambling on manufacturing tolerance, its band is slightly offset from the other sort filter.
Is it the red part of the cube or the golden? why is the cube made of two layers?
Is it also called a blocking filter or BF or B400?

I'll get an ERF. Which ones have you spectrum analyzed which provides acceptable protection and does't cost 300$ for a 2"?

I'm doing the rock bottom pricing here, while being fully aware that I have only 2 eyeballs, because, from the parts I've gathered, a Mod black box is not sensible when compared to the price of a lunt50/B400 (only for the fun of making it and learning), a full mod where the PST turns into an eyepiece is where it starts to make sense.
But in that last scenario, as Marty said in another thread, a Quark is cheaper and narrower (more contrasty?)

LX65 8" ACF
Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

The blocking filter designations (BF 10/ BF15/ B600 etc refer to the whole blocking filter assembly i.e. including the ITF or pre-filter (in the Lunt Schott BG38)
The number is generally the clear aperture of the final sort filter - BF10 = 10mm. B600 = 6mm etc.
To achieve the required sort filter bandwidth (around 8A) requires a sophisticated filter design...
Narrowing the bandpass is usually done by doubling up on the etalon, two 0.7A etalons will get the bandwidth down to around 0.4A -0.5A.
I'm not a fervent supporter of using sub-diameter ERF's.
The Baader H alpha 35nm CCD filter has the same coating as the Baader D-ERF.

daslolo
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by daslolo »

Merlin66 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:14 pm The blocking filter designations (BF 10/ BF15/ B600 etc refer to the whole blocking filter assembly i.e. including the ITF or pre-filter (in the Lunt Schott BG38)
The number is generally the clear aperture of the final sort filter - BF10 = 10mm. B600 = 6mm etc.
To achieve the required sort filter bandwidth (around 8A) requires a sophisticated filter design...
Narrowing the bandpass is usually done by doubling up on the etalon, two 0.7A etalons will get the bandwidth down to around 0.4A -0.5A.
I'm not a fervent supporter of using sub-diameter ERF's.
The Baader H alpha 35nm CCD filter has the same coating as the Baader D-ERF.
So one more zero in the BF nomenclature = one less zero of diameter :? BF30 is 30mm?

I see Baader is the reference, ever tested cheaper filters?
I think that's the one. So I'd put that or the 1.25" version in front of the 20mm colimator lens in a full mod setup.
baader.png
baader.png (504.35 KiB) Viewed 9236 times
What about that one?
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/uv-ir- ... ilter.html

Re: combing the spectrum, now it matches what I've seen, I took out the blocking filter assembly to find the focal point and saw a blue green sun on the piece of cardboard. Those green and blue spikes are the harmonics uh.

LX65 8" ACF