PST Mod C11

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

PST Mod C11

Post by Montana »

Hello,

I had an investigation of my PST mod and the C11 on Friday. It is absolutely rock solid and impossible to cause any tilt anywhere with every piece being either screwed on or click locked on. I did however turn the etalon around in circle and came up with this. I centred the spot each time and rotated the etalon around by 45 degrees each time. No matter where I put it I cannot get the on-band region centred. What could be the problem?
01.jpg
01.jpg (493.86 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
02.jpg
02.jpg (525.11 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
03.jpg
03.jpg (558.63 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
04.jpg
04.jpg (507.62 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
If only I could get it centred then at 2x I would fill the field of view better.
Sun_102549_31_07_2020_a.jpg
Sun_102549_31_07_2020_a.jpg (596.8 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: PST Mod C11

Post by marktownley »

You can set the position of the ROI manually in Firecapture by click and dragging the red box. It shouldn't matter the orientation of the offset sweetspot, you can just drag the box to fit.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Really?

Alexandra

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thinking about this while nodding off last night and this fix doesn't help, all these images were taken at full size (not ROI). When I add a 2x Barlow the sweetspot isn't in the middle so I can't move the camera to the side. How do I straighten up the sweetspot or is this impossible?

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Ahhh, understand. There is no obvious way to do this, maybe a tilt tuner on the camera nosepeice and try and orientate so it is looking off axis into the direction of the sweetspot offset, but, I don't know if this would work and it would be a faff.

I bet if you look on the exit side of the etalon, up into the body of the etalon itself, you will see the little foam spacers packing it up. This is what coronado do to get the etalon on band - it is essentially tilting the etalon, that's why you see the gradient across the sweetspot (think how you get a similar thing with an external etalon when tilt is applied).

Dismantling and reseating the etalon in the chamber will certainly change the position of the sweetspot, however whether this is for better or worse won't be known till after the event.

Think my PST etalon was number six when I finally found the one...

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks Mark, yes Apollo said that too and showed me your video. I think that is a little out of my league and risk :(

Alexandra

AndiesHandyHandies
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by AndiesHandyHandies »

Hi

I used a tilter, T2 or M48, on my 127mm ES and PST mod with auto-collimation and got the sweet spot centred.

Punched a hole with a binder punch in old Xmas Card and did a 1/4" V with pen centred on the hole.
Stand 20' infront of the scope and check with PST on with no pre-filters. Move from side to side and check edge vignetting is balanced of the PST reflection when looking through the hole and the V to the front.

Cheers. Andrew.

banjo

Post by banjo »

hello Alexandra,
if you use the black body of the Pst, you must check that the pentaprism is not slightly inclined.(sorry for my English translators google :mrgreen: )

Paul

bresser/messier 150/1200 (or 200/1800 Istar ) Mod -D-Erf 160mm intern-glasspath 1.25-etalon Pst barlow X2 ASI174
https://astropol.pagesperso-orange.fr/b ... 9/best2019
sorry for my English translators google :mrgreen:
Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

Hi Alexandra,

Sorry, I missed your original post back on Aug 3rd. There is definitely some eccentricity somewhere in the setup. The assumption is that screwing and click-locking everything together automatically brings everything into alignment, but this is not necessarily the case (machining tolerances, droop....whatever). I think a way needs to be found with your setup to allow the whole rear assembly to be manoeuvred (tilted) to move the sweet spot around. This is what I do with my RCT and 150mm scopes where the Lunt 35s are fully tilt adjustable. When I tried making a machined ‘solid’ system I couldn’t move the sweet spot to an optimal position as I can now to an accuracy of a fraction of a degree of tilt. Something we can take a look at once COVID restrictions are relaxed.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

Mark, et al,
As recently reported the tuning of the PST etalon is by pressure, distorting the plates.
Any additional knobs on the orange ring are there to “equalize” this pressure nothing to do with tilt.

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
AndiesHandyHandies

Post by AndiesHandyHandies »

Hi

Its an urban myth about the PST etalon being out of alignment.

All the pictures I have seen on the web show it like that.

It probably done to tilt reflections out of field.

There is an abberation penalty but Coronado/Meade must consider it a reaonable trade off.

Have you tired adding a tilter before the PST and auto-collimating as I advised above?

Cheers. Andrew.