LUNTerize Takahashi FC100DL

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
fedele
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

LUNTerize Takahashi FC100DL

Post by fedele »

Hi Masters
If I wanted to LUNTerize my Takahashi FC100DL, which filters and parts (even the exact fittings etc) Lunt would I need?
As Bloking Filter I was thinking of a B1800 version 2 ″ straight-through extension tube, because I would like to use the diagonals I want or the cams directly
thanks

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: LUNTerize Takahashi FC100DL

Post by marktownley »

Hi there,

I've moved to the mods section as I think you will get more response here.

That Tak is a very nice scope to 'chop up'. A lunt 80 double stack module has a 50mm etalon so would need to sit approx 350mm inside focus with this scope. I'm not familiar with the Tak personally but suspect there's not over a foot in focus you can get just unscrewing the focuser.

So, you would need to cut the Tak tube, reducing overall length by the length of the Lunt module, each end of the split tube is going to need some kind of adapter made up so the module can be screwed in place.

Personally, if I was going to do this I would just use one of the generic 102/714 doublets that are available, for a lot less than your Tak costs, and use this as a donor scope to hack up.

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

Completely agree Mark,

Just save up and get the Lunt LS100FHa and a blocking filter. Or the Solarscope SF100 and a blocking filter. Or implement a Solar Spectrum filter system.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
fdudu
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by fdudu »

Hello gentlemen,

If I understood correctly what Mark means, the filter of the Lunt needs to be placed about 350mm from the front lens of the telescope.

In the case of the Fabry-Perot filter standard of a Lunt LS50 and this 80 APO doublet telescope, would the configurations below be correct in your opinion?

Configuration n ° 1: https://astrobebchen.jimdofree.com/h-al ... kop-umbau/
or
Configuration n ° 2: https://imagesofoursun.wordpress.com/mo ... -achromat/

Many thanks for your help and good heavens to you.
Franck

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place. Feel free to tell me if I need to create a new topic :)

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Either option works. :)

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
fedele
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by fedele »

So...to understand.
to save moneys...instead of Buying a complete LUNT80, i can buy a TS 80ED or some TS 100 and to adapt all the LUNT PARTS? In the links attached in previous post, i see a TS115.
This is a good option for me. What is the best solution ?

removing the initial part of the TS's focuser, i can use a M68/M63 adapter to attach a double stack LUNT part to the TS and so a straight BP of some type in it and i have a complete solarscope yet ready...right?
this solution is applicable both with the TS80 ED and with the TS115 or a TS100?
To take advantage of the full range, which LUNT parts should I buy in both cases?