3D prints to assist with daytime rough polar align

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
barnstorm
The Sun?
The Sun?

3D prints to assist with daytime rough polar align

Post by barnstorm »

A compass will get you pointed to MAGNETIC north but not true north, nor the celestial pole. It also does not provide altitude information. Sky@Night ran a story about using a smartphone and a star finder app during the day to do rough alignment but that has issues also.

Some looking around on Thingiverse (online library for 3D printing models) and I found two possible aids. Both allow you to mount your cell phone to a Vixen dovetail mount and use the PS Align Pro App to polar align your scope! The first print also allows you to use a red-dot pointer and the PoleMaster camera or a phone so I printed that to try today. The other one only holds a phone BUT gets the phone away from the metal of the mount for perhaps a more accurate magnetometer reading?

I set the rig up in my living room today and even in the house my iPhone 7 seemed to get a good magnetometer reading and allowed me to do a quick and easy alignment. I can't verify how good until I actually get a sunny day or clear night, however. This was crazy easy and if it works better than my Compass - One Star Align - Slew to Sun - Adjust mount - Sync procedure I will be happy.

If you want to give this a try yourself here are the Thingiverse links:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3642636
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4133183

IMG_0668.jpg
IMG_0668.jpg (77.26 KiB) Viewed 244 times
ffa30b84445caeffc7c1381ab3a7363e_preview_featured.jpg
ffa30b84445caeffc7c1381ab3a7363e_preview_featured.jpg (92.74 KiB) Viewed 244 times
b32b5f31c2e2d855878e7522b353141f_preview_featured.JPG
b32b5f31c2e2d855878e7522b353141f_preview_featured.JPG (22.91 KiB) Viewed 244 times
_DSC1818.JPG
_DSC1818.JPG (32.6 KiB) Viewed 244 times

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: 3D prints to assist with daytime rough polar align

Post by marktownley »

Nice bit of printing, thanks for sharing!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by rsfoto »

Hi,

Yes 3D printing makes our life easier. I got a 3D printer two months ago because a friend wanted to motorize his telescope focuser and so we ventured into this new technology.
The best of all is that before printing you have to learn to draw the parts :mrgreen: and that is not easy but with time one can learn it.
Below a drawing of the motor holder and an image of this same part printed and working on the telescope.
Now when I need a part I do not need to wait for the metal milling mill because instantly I get my parts (well not instantly but maybe a few hours later)
I print all in PETG plastic. Much better then PLA.

Soporte_Enfocador_Zeuzmac.png
Soporte_Enfocador_Zeuzmac.png (47.53 KiB) Viewed 212 times
fn1.JPG
fn1.JPG (194.24 KiB) Viewed 212 times

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14 San Luis Potosi Mexico
thesmiths
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by thesmiths »

I've had Polar Scope Align Pro for years and never even realised it had a Daytime mode! Thanks for the "heads up"!